[0.25] Astronomer's Visual Pack - Interstellar V2

Astronomer

Which features do you like the most?  

1,335 members have voted

1. 1. Which features do you like the most?

• Semi-Procedural Auroras
    • Clouds for Eve & Jool
    • 29MB Lightning
    • Lens Flare
    • Snow
    • Sandstorms and Surface Dust
    • Atmospheric Scattering
    • Interstellar Music Replacement
    • New Sun
    • Surface Glow

What do you mean? If you mean you need to have 8 Gb of RAM, I don't think that's true. KSP only uses a maximum of 3.5 Gb of RAM in 32-bit anyway. What's that got to do with FAR anyway? FAR's not a huge memory hog.

Thanks for your help, I managed to fix the issue. Now KSP looks fantastic. Can you go in the wormhole though?

I installed the mod and now this happened... that did not happen in v0.25 ... any idea why this is and how I can fix it? This is not only on Kerbin but also on Jool and Laythe.

http://i.imgur.com/6iL6Bfi.png

Might be an issue of ATM. I had the same problem but got it fixed: Before adding any other mod, I installed one part of Astronomer's pack at a time (EVE, then clouds, then auroras, and so on...), always starting KSP in between. After the whole pack was installed, I added ATM and everything looked fine. Make sure you start KSP using -force-opengl, or it might not be able to load all the uncompressed textures without exceeding the maximum memory.

Generally, I have made the experience that you should not add too many mods/parts/textures before loading up KSP again. Starting KSP after every single mod installation seems to be avoiding a lot of issues.

Might be an issue of ATM. I had the same problem but got it fixed: Before adding any other mod, I installed one part of Astronomer's pack at a time (EVE, then clouds, then auroras, and so on...), always starting KSP in between. After the whole pack was installed, I added ATM and everything looked fine. Make sure you start KSP using -force-opengl, or it might not be able to load all the uncompressed textures without exceeding the maximum memory.

Generally, I have made the experience that you should not add too many mods/parts/textures before loading up KSP again. Starting KSP after every single mod installation seems to be avoiding a lot of issues.

I've had this issue before. If you delete the ATM texture cache (.../kerbal space program/gamedata/activetexturemanagement/teturecache) it will reload it and (hopefully) fix the issue. It's probably best to only delete the relevant ones, of course, since otherwise you have to spend six hours waiting for it to redo all the textures :P

If this has already been asked and answered tell me where and I shall bother you no more.

But is there a way to have just the planet shining on to my craft and lens flare without all the other gubbins. Since I dont wanna go mad with my stock install.

I just want more pretty.

Tweety

Edit: I'm using 32bit if that makes a difference. My computer should handle it, only 1 month old, i5 4790k OC @ 4.2, only 8gb RAM but its DDR3 @ 2133 I think, and a GTX 970.

Edited by Tweety

Hi all, (OP, THANKS for an AWESOME mod!! :))

vnXKoVl.gif

I just wanted to report a finding.

I installed your music into chatterer and found that it sucks up a lot of ram. So if any of you out there also installed his music pack and then crashed the game, this might do the trick. (as in not installing his music pack)

If this has already been asked and answered tell me where and I shall bother you no more.

But is there a way to have just the planet shining on to my craft and lens flare without all the other gubbins. Since I dont wanna go mad with my stock install.

I just want more pretty.

Tweety

Edit: I'm using 32bit if that makes a difference. My computer should handle it, only 1 month old, i5 4790k OC @ 4.2, only 8gb RAM but its DDR3 @ 2133 I think, and a GTX 970.

In general, I find CKAN (comprehensive kerbal archive network?) to be a fairly good way to manage most mods that I have interest in. They've broken AVP into parts since many people can't run them all, and all you need to do is click a checkbox.... So, yes, you should be able to run it as you like, without clouds, auroras, city lights, lightning, etc...

One caveat, is that recently when using CKAN I'm unable to get lightning to work.... the client locks when ATM* tries to do it's thing with that texture/cfg... It could be just me though.

I just want more pretty.

Tweety

If you just install PlanetShine, that'll give you the, uh, planet... shining.

For the lens flare, you need to replace the file "sharedassets9.assets" in the KSP_Data folder, which contains the lens flare, with a version that includes the lens flare from Astronomer's pack. The file that comes with Astronomer's doesn't work in 0.90, IIRC, as the file structure changed (it was "sharedassets10.assets" in 0.25). Someone posted an updated one, but the link appears to be broken. I ain't at the right computer at the moment, so I don't have a copy handy myself, but if you ask nicely maybe someone will repost it for ya.

EDIT: Or just do what JackDraak said. That'd be simpler, obviously. (But not as tediously nerdy, which is it's own kind of fun to the right (or wrong) kind of mind... :wink:)

If the lens flare is on CKAN, that is - I thought CKAN could only work with GameData folders, but I could be wrong...

Edited by UnanimousCoward

I looked at CKAN and quickly found that the couple of things I really wanted made it look so good I kept adding to it....SO I decided to bite the bullet and install the whole pack....HOLY MOTHER OF KERBOL! It looks like a new game to me! Only downside, which most probably isn't related, is my monitor (Samsung 720p Tv, obviously limited to crap res) hates fullscreen but its no real issue running in a window.

.....now which monitor do I want next....

Thanks guys for the replies and thanks Astronomer for making me NEED a new monitor :P

Tweety

I looked at CKAN and quickly found that the couple of things I really wanted made it look so good I kept adding to it....SO I decided to bite the bullet and install the whole pack....HOLY MOTHER OF KERBOL! It looks like a new game to me! Only downside, which most probably isn't related, is my monitor (Samsung 720p Tv, obviously limited to crap res) hates fullscreen but its no real issue running in a window.

.....now which monitor do I want next....

Thanks guys for the replies and thanks Astronomer for making me NEED a new monitor :P

Tweety

get 1920x1080 size monitor ;)

KSP keeps crashing on launch when i try to use the mod. I'm installing through CKAN, on an i7 with 16gigs ram, and a 770.

If I launch through -opengl, it seems to work, though not on full screen (it only seems to render a square on the lower left, leaving the rest of the screen black), and none of the other mods are loaded.

Currently using:

Chatterer

Planet Shine

Advanced Fly By Wire

Kerbal Engineer

Kerbal Alarm Clock

I have some crash dumps, should i upload them somewhere?

KSP keeps crashing on launch when i try to use the mod. I'm installing through CKAN, on an i7 with 16gigs ram, and a 770.

If I launch through -opengl, it seems to work, though not on full screen (it only seems to render a square on the lower left, leaving the rest of the screen black), and none of the other mods are loaded.

Currently using:

Chatterer

Planet Shine

Advanced Fly By Wire

Kerbal Engineer

Kerbal Alarm Clock

The square-in-the-lower-left thing is a known issue with OpenGL. You can work round it by unchecking "full screen" in the settings menu and adding "-popupwindow" (without quotes) as a command line argument. Then it will work fine if you set your monitor's native resolution.

If it crashes on DirectX but not with OpenGL, that sounds like a memory issue. OpenGL uses much less memory than DirectX (about 1 Gb or more for me). The amount of RAM you have doesn't matter if you're running the 32-bit version of KSP - it's limited to about 3.5 Gb anyway. The 64-bit Windows version is very buggy and even Squad think its unstable (but the 64-bit Linux one seems mostly fine). You're better off running the 32-bit version in OpenGL. Performance may be the same, slightly worse, or much worse, depending on your hardware (it was fine for me, though).

Are you using Active Texture Management? The aggressive version of that will save a fair bit of RAM at the expense of some visual quality - and an extremely long loading time on first run as it prepares its texture cache. Second and subsequent runs will be much faster, though. IIRC, it will also probably crash once or twice on loading anyway while ATM does its thing, but eventually it will create cached textures for everything and make it through to the main menu.

Edited by UnanimousCoward

Currently using:

Chatterer

Planet Shine

Advanced Fly By Wire

Kerbal Engineer

Kerbal Alarm Clock

i have the same specs as you - i7,16 gigs, 770 - i run this mod with no problem +130 mods (not joking)

if you download Astronomers pack you will see that there is a very specific order in which you have to install it, so i recommend that you de-install it from CKAN and then do it manually.

I recently had to reinstall all of my mods (new computer), and I'm having this really weird issue that I can't really figure out with this mod in particular. The clouds on all the planets except for Eve look wrong, and I was hoping you could help fix it. I made sure that I followed the installation directions correctly. I love your mod, and I've never had this issue before.

Here's my output log:

It looks like you are using ATM.

If so go to <KSP>\GameData\ActiveTextureManagement\textureCache and delete (or move) the BoulderCo folder

Then go into the main ATM folder and make a file named BoulderCo.cfg with the following code:

Overides
{
.*/BoulderCo/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

This prevents ATM from converting and compressing AVP's textures.

I had it working with ATM on my last install, so I'm not sure what's different. I followed those steps but it's just too big to run it without crashing.

Try DDS Loader. i run a ton of mods, including this and i'm not using ATM, just DDS Loader

I had it working with ATM on my last install, so I'm not sure what's different. I followed those steps but it's just too big to run it without crashing.

Before I got rid of ATM compression for this mod, it took several attempts to get a compressed texture to work. Don't use the the code and try just deleting the contents of ATM's BoulderCo folder giving ATM another chance at compression. If the problem persist after trying this 3-4 times, it might not be an ATM problem.

edit:

Or you could use the code and change the false statements to true.

This will still convert and compress the texture, but not change the scale.

That sometimes helps with textures that are meant to be high res (ie this mod).

Edited by Invader Myk
alternate code use

• 2 weeks later...