Looking For: Real planet textures but same KSP system

Yuka

I'm doing some filming using KSP as my platform to create 3D visuals for an educational video project.

I need a way to replace the textures of KSPs planets to that of the real solar system but that is the ONLY thing I need to replace. I tried Real Solar System but it also changes the sizes and orbits of planets. I only need to alter the visuals of the planets to their real life counterparts.

I'm new to retexturing and such otherwise I'd do it myself.

Any suggestions?

I haven't tried so I can't be certain it would work but I'd recommend getting Real solar system mod and strip out the textures.

Then install texture replacer and rename the texture files as required (instructions on how to name the textures and where to put them are on the texture replacer thread (1st post).

Hope that helps

Use the 1/10th RSS config.

I tried but apparently all of the space craft designs I already have are null and void because even though the 1/10th maintains the same distances, the planets are larger which increases Delta-V requirements in some instances.

I tried but apparently all of the space craft designs I already have are null and void because even though the 1/10th maintains the same distances, the planets are larger which increases Delta-V requirements in some instances.

Did you delete the other RSS config? If not that might be your issue. It takes roughly 5km/s dV to get to LEO with FAR.

I used the 4k textures from RSS and successfully replaced the stock textures using Texture Replacer.

Thanks for the advice! There will be a teaser trailer released hopefully before the new year. It's a zero-budget project where a few subject matter experts in the area of astronomy, space exploration, space craft engineering and general science are creating a documentary on the next 15-25 years of space exploration's effort to set foot on Mars. Despite the lower quality video editing and footage, the science and information behind it should be pretty solid.

I used the 4k textures from RSS and successfully replaced the stock textures using Texture Replacer.

Thanks for the advice! There will be a teaser trailer released hopefully before the new year. It's a zero-budget project where a few subject matter experts in the area of astronomy, space exploration, space craft engineering and general science are creating a documentary on the next 15-25 years of space exploration's effort to set foot on Mars. Despite the lower quality video editing and footage, the science and information behind it should be pretty solid.

Glad you got it working Yuka, looking forward to see what you come up with. :cool:

You'll need to also replace the heightmaps and KSC's location or you'll see Kerbin and then at about 30km it'll switch to Earth.

I noticed that. Once the 3D heightmaps are no longer rendered I see the 2D texture wrapping of Earth. I can actually vaguely see the Earth texture in Kerbin's oceans. How would I go about replacing the heightmaps?

Same thing happens to Duna. Any idea how to adjust that? And to replace Ike with a model of phobos? Ike's unique orbit puts it in a lot of shots I take in orbit around Duna - I'd like it to look realistic if it does show up.

The 1/10th config keeps the same KSP sizes but has the real planets though?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.