Kopernicus Core - Version NAN - Outdated

_Augustus_

Question answering time!

@ Augustus, a few bugs I've discovered (both aren't gameplay impacting, or at least, not to a major extent) The first one seems to be: Duna (and Laythe) tend to use their counterparts' NRM textures (I believe that's what their name is) in other words, Duna has a shaded (and nonexistent) Olympus Mons-esque shading. Laythe also has the lake/swirly appearance (despite its color texture being how Laythe originally appears)

On another note, I have discovered a few lighting glitches.

Though, I hopefully (and eventually) plan to learn the concept of creating planets for Kopernicus (I've made a few unfinished PF:CE planets), as I have already thought up a few appearances in my head (though not illustrated) for a few gas giants/super Kerbins' moon systems.

The normal maps are an issue, Boris actually has Duna's problem as well but I did a good job hiding it. It's due to RealSolarSystem, and once you get close enough it'll be fine.

So a while back I mentioned I was trying to get some guidence on how to get JTGplanets to cooperate with this and went pretty much completely ignored, so I just pressed on and tried to install it myself and, predictably, it didn't work. Moving the three folders that were in "PlanetFactory" into the "Kopernicus_PF" folder was a no-go, so I tried simply putting it into Gamedata under its original "planetfactory/*" directory and that didn't work.

Anyway, I did notice that in this thread the advertisement for it working with this and other PF planet packs went away, so I'm assuming this is just a no-go operation and I should drop it?

PFCE PACKS DO NOT WORK WITH THIS MOD. They have to be converted.

Hey, dude. A lot of people have problems when you release like 10 updates a day. If you could go 1/day that would be great.

I'm a young kid, not even in high school, so I have tons of time to update the mod.

Anyways, I hope you all enjoy the newest update, which re-adds the Serious system as a sort of easter egg/Xmas present! If you don't want it just go into Kopernicus and then Configs and delete Serious.cfg

Edited by _Augustus_

I installed the latest release from Kerbalstuff, but none of the new planets show up in the tracking station (at level 2, if that helps). Am I missing something? Is there a conflict I might be unaware of?

I installed the latest release from Kerbalstuff, but none of the new planets show up in the tracking station (at level 2, if that helps). Am I missing something? Is there a conflict I might be unaware of?

What mods (with .dll plugins) do you have?

I still don't know what to do...

Do you have to make some kind of texture?

What config(s) do you make and/or edit?

EDIT: I'm adding a moon to Boris, but I don't know what I should add for the mass, radius and orbit things.

EDIT 2: I've messed with the mass and radius, but how do I do the radius?

EDIT 3: Success! Kinda...

I might've messed up along the way... The orbit isn't right, the planet is really bumpy and it seems to have Sentar's texture.

WHXMIgJ.jpg

1cMiTBa.jpg

Edited by lordmuffin
Added stuff

Just landed on Flo. It's a small dwarf planet (less than 100 km) with 14-kilometer high mountains. I wish you brave explorers the best of luck landing on that one, the only flat spots are ravines and the mountains are near-vertical. KAS and HooliganLabs SQUID landing legs work great here.

show me the config...

I just noticed that I didn't put the textures in the Kopernicus config, but I dunno how to fix that, as I can't find any textures matching that _map thing.

First config: @Kopernicus {

Body

{

name = Gale

flightGlobalsIndex = 18

Template

{

name = Duna

}

Properties

{

description = A world wiped clean of life by insane winds, at an estimated speed of 650 miles per hour. It has an atmosphere full of dry ice crystals, cooling the world to -145 degrees Fahrenheit. Discovered only recently, the planet was another chance for a planet made of ice cream.

radius = 12420

mass = 2.2413e+3

geeASL = 0.3

}

Orbit

{

referenceBody = Sun

color = 0,0,1,1

inclination = 34

eccentricity = 9

semiMajorAxis = 160000000000

longitudeOfAscendingNode = 0

argumentOfPeriapsis = 0

meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0

epoch = 0

}

ScaledVersion

{

Material

{

texture = KopernicusTextures/Sentar_map

rimColorRamp = KopernicusTextures/Sentar_rim

rimPower = 2.06

rimBlend = 0.3

}

}

}

Second config:

Gale{

SSBump = GameData/KopernicusTextures/Bullwinkle_normal.png

PQS

{

Gale

{

PQSMod_VertexHeightMap

{

heightMap = GameData/KopernicusTextures/Bullwinkle_height.png

}

Add

{

PQSMod_VertexColorMapBlend

{

vertexColorMap = GameData/KopernicusTextures/Gale_color.png

blend = 1.0

order = 9999993

}

}

}

}

}

You've probably noticed that I'm using Bullwinkle's heightmap. That's what I'm doing for now... until I can make my own.

The color map is just an edited version of Bullwinkle's.

Edited by lordmuffin

I just noticed that I didn't put the textures in the Kopernicus config, but I dunno how to fix that, as I can't find any textures matching that _map thing.

First config: @Kopernicus {

Body

{

name = Gale

flightGlobalsIndex = 18

Template

{

name = Duna

}

Properties

{

description = A world wiped clean of life by insane winds, at an estimated speed of 650 miles per hour. It has an atmosphere full of dry ice crystals, cooling the world to -145 degrees Fahrenheit. Discovered only recently, the planet was another chance for a planet made of ice cream.

radius = 12420

mass = 2.2413e+3

geeASL = 0.3

}

Orbit

{

referenceBody = Sun

color = 0,0,1,1

inclination = 34

eccentricity = 9

semiMajorAxis = 160000000000

longitudeOfAscendingNode = 0

argumentOfPeriapsis = 0

meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0

epoch = 0

}

ScaledVersion

{

Material

{

texture = KopernicusTextures/Sentar_map

rimColorRamp = KopernicusTextures/Sentar_rim

rimPower = 2.06

rimBlend = 0.3

}

}

}

Second config:

Gale{

SSBump = GameData/KopernicusTextures/Bullwinkle_normal.png

PQS

{

Gale

{

PQSMod_VertexHeightMap

{

heightMap = GameData/KopernicusTextures/Bullwinkle_height.png

}

Add

{

PQSMod_VertexColorMapBlend

{

vertexColorMap = GameData/KopernicusTextures/Gale_color.png

blend = 1.0

order = 9999993

}

}

}

}

}

You've probably noticed that I'm using Bullwinkle's heightmap. That's what I'm doing for now... until I can make my own.

The color map is just an edited version of Bullwinkle's.

Just copy gale_color and rename it to gale_map, and change the flightglobals to some random number, as right now it shares a flightglobals with Sentar.

Put the first config into a .cfg file anywhere, and the second one into RealSolarSystem.cfg.

Also it's radius is barely 14 km and it has an atmosphere... what?

Edited by _Augustus_

Just copy gale_color and rename it to gale_map, and change the flightglobals to some random number, as right now it shares a flightglobals with Sentar.

Put the first config into a .cfg file anywhere, and the second one into RealSolarSystem.cfg.

Also it's radius is barely 14 km and it has an atmosphere... what?

Sorry, I have no idea what the radius and mass should be.

Edit: So now, when I followed your directions, this happened:

1934APb.jpg

And the orbit is still a blue line in space, with a velocity of NaN and an altitude of a crazy negative number.

Edited by lordmuffin

Sorry, I have no idea what the radius and mass should be.

Edit: So now, when I followed your directions, this happened:

http://i.imgur.com/1934APb.jpg

And the orbit is still a blue line in space, with a velocity of NaN and an altitude of a crazy negative number.

You did something wrong, I can't really help you.

Also, Augustus, I have a suggestion (regarding Ascencion). I'd be afraid that adding a comet tail to Ascencion (whilst it closes in on the Sun) may be too much to ask? It really adds to KSP's serenity in Alternis Kerbol. But that's your choice. :)

I'm creating a planet using your methodology:

m6HTtiR.png

Those mountains are 30 Km tall. (Working on making them prettier, though).

For some reason, using Kerbin as a template results in extremely white ground. Laythe works well, though.

Also, do you have any idea what's going on with my sunlight? It appears normal at low altitudes, but is rotated 90 degrees away from the sun in Scaledspace.

XTDztVA.png

Can you give any advice on how to get ScaledSpace working properly? I can only get it to appear if I use KittopiaTech's ScaledSpace updater.

Edited by Vaporo

I'm creating a planet using your methodology:

http://i.imgur.com/m6HTtiR.png

Those mountains are 30 Km tall. (Working on making them prettier, though).

For some reason, using Kerbin as a template results in extremely white ground. Laythe works well, though.

Also, do you have any idea what's going on with my sunlight? It appears normal at low altitudes, but is rotated 90 degrees away from the sun in Scaledspace.

http://i.imgur.com/XTDztVA.png

Can you give any advice on how to get ScaledSpace working properly? I can only get it to appear if I use KittopiaTech's ScaledSpace updater.

Nice job. I don't quite know how to get it to work properly. Did you add a normal map?

Sorry that I've been inactive, I was supposed to get a new computer today but it was defective..

Edited by _Augustus_

Yay! PF is back! :D

One question though: I am making my own planet pack comprising of gas giant with a couple terrestrial moons. I wanted to use Kopernicus, but that doesn't support terrestrial bodies currently. However, it does appear you've used Kopernicus in this mod. How did you get the terrain to work? PlanetFactory, which I'm using right now, is a huge pain in the neck to use and has its fair share of bugs, while Kopernicus runs very well and is extremely easy to use.

So I've loaded this up and poked around a bit in the configs/files.

It looks like the config is spread across the files for 3 different mods - is there a checklist of where the definitions are for each planet?

(I'm basically looking to remove a bunch)

Question answering time!

Yay! PF is back! :D

One question though: I am making my own planet pack comprising of gas giant with a couple terrestrial moons. I wanted to use Kopernicus, but that doesn't support terrestrial bodies currently. However, it does appear you've used Kopernicus in this mod. How did you get the terrain to work? PlanetFactory, which I'm using right now, is a huge pain in the neck to use and has its fair share of bugs, while Kopernicus runs very well and is extremely easy to use.

RealSolarSystem allows me to edit terrain, though here's my warning for habitable planets/moons:

I have discovered that if there is more than one Laythe-based planet/moon in existence apart from Laythe itself, both will just have the terrain of Laythe. I had to change Bloor's template to Eve to fix that issue. I am not sure if the same issues apply to Eve and Kerbin-based planets, but if they do you can use KittopiaTech to add an ocean and modify atmosphere settings for a Tylo, Vall, or Duna-based moon.

Does this create biomes on new planets or just the two basic ones (SrfLanded and SrfSplashed)?

Currently just whatever their templates had, as I'm not sure if creating custom biomes with Kopernicus will work.

Also no custom results... yet. But they're coming soon! (Just as soon as I get the replacement for my defective new computer)

So I've loaded this up and poked around a bit in the configs/files.

It looks like the config is spread across the files for 3 different mods - is there a checklist of where the definitions are for each planet?

(I'm basically looking to remove a bunch)

Boris.cfg is Boris and it's moons.

Sentar.cfg is Sentar, it's moons, Ascension, and Ablate.

TransKeptunian is Putto, Oorma, Arane, and Flo.

Kaiser.cfg is Kaiser and it's moons.

Serious.cfg is Serious and it's planet Sima.

Edited by _Augustus_

Boris.cfg is Boris and it's moons.

Sentar.cfg is Sentar, it's moons, Ascension, and Ablate.

TransKeptunian is Putto, Oorma, Arane, and Flo.

Kaiser.cfg is Kaiser and it's moons.

Serious.cfg is Serious and it's planet Sima.

So, removing (or editing) the config files in GameData/Kopernicus/Config is the name of the game?

Nothing else needs be done?

Yes. That is all that must be done, though I do not understand why you want to remove planets.

Awesome!

Combination of 2 factors really - the zoomed-out system view just gets a bit cluttered and it's harder to find the ones I'm looking for, and I wanted to remove a few of the more .. abstract .. looking planets.

This is an excellent mod, and I'm very excited to see where it goes over the coming months :-D

I have discovered that if there is more than one Laythe-based planet/moon in existence apart from Laythe itself, both will just have the terrain of Laythe. I had to change Bloor's template to Eve to fix that issue. I am not sure if the same issues apply to Eve and Kerbin-based planets, but if they do you can use KittopiaTech to add an ocean and modify atmosphere settings for a Tylo, Vall, or Duna-based moon.

Yes, most helpful! Thanks so much! :D

Augustus, 2 things:

1. If you still have problems with dark and transparant rings, you can have Kittopia set the rings to be unlit. Just look at the ring configs in my latest version and you'll the difference.

2. A changelog in the OP, so one can more easily see what's changed with each update, would be great.

Augustus, 2 things:

1. If you still have problems with dark and transparant rings, you can have Kittopia set the rings to be unlit. Just look at the ring configs in my latest version and you'll the difference.

2. A changelog in the OP, so one can more easily see what's changed with each update, would be great.

Changelog is on KerbalStuff, followed your suggestions on the rings.

I'm really excited about the new planetary mods in development. I would like very much to seem them full developed to their creators vision. I would also like to try them all out, however....are you open to a suggestion Augustus? Could you make an alternative skin for Kaiser? I know that is probably equating to asking you to change your child's name because I don't like the way it sounds. I honestly mean no offense to your creation, you must take great pride in it because you use it as a symbol of your mod. I will say that you can consider me so shallow that I have not tried your mod because I find Kaiser a visually unpleasant reminder of a bad experience. It honestly goes back to a very bad alcohol experience consisting of too many different flavored shots and getting sick :confused:. My apologies for being finicky and shallow, but I just thought I would ask. Hopefully the worst that will happen is you say no its to much trouble for one person and your not offended.