My "OMG This Game Is Amazing" Moment!

ProStasisX

wow - this game just continues to amaze me! I heard there was some modding done, I didn't realize it was really to this extent. Oh man, okay - here's my plan. Finish career mode (whatever that means) until I'm satisfied with landing on all of the planets. Then do career on hard mode, and then do career on hard mode with these amazing mods!

This game is just - I don't think people out there realize how good this game is - I certainly had no idea. I'd even seen a couple people play it on twitch, but I pretty much just dropped in and did a 180 out of there thinking it was boring. Had I known it was this intricate and detailed, I would have been on this game ages ago.

Whoah whoah whoah - wait... what? he pushed it? how? did you just run him into it with the EVA suit jets? Oh my god, please tell me you did that - because that is AMAZING

Getting out and push is a common kerbal way of saving the day. ;)

I remember my second mun lander. It didn't have enough Delta-V to get back to Kerbin. I was too much of a noob for a rescue mission at the time, so I thought about just flying the kerbal back to kerbin, and landing him on his head. Then I realized that kerbals can push things. Ksp hasn't been the same since.

Whoah whoah whoah - wait... what? he pushed it? how? did you just run him into it with the EVA suit jets? Oh my god, please tell me you did that - because that is AMAZING

Yup, you can push a ship with the EVA pack. A bit of an oversight, as *technically* any manned ship can refuel an EVA pack to full, regardless if the capsule has any fuel in it or not. Thus, infinite fuel, thus, infinite Delta-V. A bit tedious for large ships and large currection burns, but perfect for nudging a capsule into the atmosphere.

Just ram into the ship using the EVA jetpack and it'll push it. :D

It's such a handy manoeuvre to remember that Chapter 4 of the tutorial in my signature even recommends it, "One, very Kerbal, solution is to 'get out and push'"

wow - this game just continues to amaze me! I heard there was some modding done, I didn't realize it was really to this extent. Oh man, okay - here's my plan. Finish career mode (whatever that means) until I'm satisfied with landing on all of the planets. Then do career on hard mode, and then do career on hard mode with these amazing mods!

For reference, the modding scene for Kerbal Space Program is enormous. The game was already getting mods before it was even pay-to-play, and the number of actively-in-development mods for the game easily numbers in the hundreds. Just about anything you can think of, there's a mod for it. If there's a particular part or feature you're looking for, just ask and we'll point you in the right direction!

My OMG moment was when I escaped the atmosphere for the very first time, and the music changed into that slow and serene piece.

I've been playing just over a year, and I still get the OMG moments. Welcome to an incredible journey whereupon you are its main author!

Yup, you can push a ship with the EVA pack. A bit of an oversight, as *technically* any manned ship can refuel an EVA pack to full, regardless if the capsule has any fuel in it or not. Thus, infinite fuel, thus, infinite Delta-V. A bit tedious for large ships and large currection burns, but perfect for nudging a capsule into the atmosphere.

Just ram into the ship using the EVA jetpack and it'll push it. :D

I wouldnt recommend ramming the ship, as you could miss and/or get deflected at some random angle, and have to use RCS to get back to the ship, thus, it's less efficient than just putting yourself inside the rocket's nozzle, and burning "up" into it (just make sure another jealous kerbal doesnt turn the engine on :) )

For reference, the modding scene for Kerbal Space Program is enormous. The game was already getting mods before it was even pay-to-play, and the number of actively-in-development mods for the game easily numbers in the hundreds. Just about anything you can think of, there's a mod for it. If there's a particular part or feature you're looking for, just ask and we'll point you in the right direction!

I think I read somewhere today that there was a multiplayer mod, and that eventually KSP wants to add multiplayer to the game.

I would love to see this game go full on MMO. (and by that, I just mean, a universe with hundreds of planets, and thousands of players, all racing to space, meeting up, interplanetary space stations ) - somehow, there would have to be a way to stop trolling though - either you just let ships pass through each other, or something. I would love to develop my spacecenter to eventually go on a deep space mission to the other side of the universe, and visit some crazy world with other people doing the same thing, lol.

There is SO much that can be done with this game - it's so good, haha.

My first manned moon landing reminds of of yours!

When I joined there wasn't career mode (only two years ago) and so I researched about the monoliths on the moon and attempted to land a mini-base by the Armstrong memorial right off the bat. I also had a "high-tech" flying rover attached on the bottom which used RCS to hover. Regardless of the rover I forgot a fuel line and the thing ran out of fuel 50 meters up... It sort of bounced, gave a little protesting creak, and tipped over...

After a day of thought I realized I could still saved the pilots! The lander was a little base with a return stage mounted on top and a rover mounded on the bottom. I decoupled the tipped over return stage and the rover. Now I have a return stage on its side and a flying rover next to it. THIS is where I get creative. I realize all I need to get off the ground is a little jump. THE ROVER! I flip the rover upside-down and position it directly in front of the sideways lander using the RCS I mounted on it. At this point I have a make shift ramp in front of the return stage. I fire the engines and SOMEHOW I manage to bounce off the rover jump and return to Kerbin. PHEW!

Regardless of my fun story, I'm sure I'm just one of many who have had moments like this in KSP. This game has so many ways to do something you can find that if your original mission doesn't go planned, you can usually perform a crazy stunt and get yourself out of the mess a different way.

A word of advice though, don't do everything you possibly can as fast as possible, or you'll find yourself at a loss of stuff to do in the future. Take your time and enjoy every aspect of the game rather than blasting through it. It was awesome to read your story, and I HOPE you have more in the future. Later!

Edited by Avera9eJoe

After way too many hours, I'm not so easily wowed, but thanks to a mod called Distant Object Enhancement, I experienced one of the finest moments of gaming goodness. I define those as the times I forget I'm playing a game. They're rare, and cherished. :)

I flew to Duna in a huge spaceplane called the Monarch. In its cargo bay was a lander intended to gather science and return to orbit. Anyhow, I was down on the planet, and taking in a bit of the scenery. Then up in the sky, was this small white dot of light, slowly passing overhead. It took a few seconds to figure out what it was. It was the Monarch! This big, powerful ship - a product of many many hours of design and refinement - so surreally gracing the heavens above. :)

Obviously, my retelling makes it seem underwhelming, but for a few fleeting moments, I wasn't some gamer sitting at a computer. I was there on Duna, and I was watching my very real ship move across a very real otherworldly sky, up there in space! :cool:

You can see the Monarch as a little white speck up and to the left of the lander.

View%20from%20Duna.png?psid=1

Edited by Voculus

Congrats on realising how awesome this game is!

Here's one of my mission profiles:

I wanted to go to the Mun. Why? Just cause! It's so easy for me at this point and I wanted to get some screenshots. Also, my cousin was at my place at the day and I figured the Mun mission would be a quick and painless one.

I was wrong.

I make the lander, transfer stage and all that jazz and put a bloody great asparagus staging launch stage. I take off. When the outermost tanks ran out of fuel I ditched them, of course. Everything going to plan. But wait! This is KSP! It's not a successful mission if your outer fuel tanks don't crash into your middle one!

So I'm 20 km above Kerbin, with two wobbly engines and a full middle tank of fuel. What do I do? Press Esc and revert to launch? Nope.jpg. I turn 45 degrees East and start burning and picking up horizontal velocity.

But tutrakan4e, wasn't the central fuel tank full of fuel? I hear you ask.

Yes, it was. What did I do? I started pumping fuel around the tanks while burning with super wobbly engines aiming for orbit. And I got in orbit with tons of fuel left.

I pressed M.

[Genericcousinname], you know how I told you we were going for the Moon? Well, change of plans.

I set up a maneuver node and burned, timewarped, landed on the red planet and got in orbit. A bit too optimistic there. I can't get back. If only I had a transfer stage in orbit around Duna... Oh wait, I did.

I launched an unmanned probe which consisted of RCS tanks and thrusters, a probe core and power. Also, it had 2 ARMs on the sides. I used it as a makeshift docking port. Why didn't I just pump the fuel to the lander and used the landing engine to go back to Kerbin? Who knows? What I did was use the transfer stage to burn me towards home, of course, wobbling like a... something wobbly, I don't know!

This game is awesome.

My "WOW" moment? Well, though it was an unpleasant phase, those first weeks of struggling to achieve orbit blew my mind at how difficult this game was, and ultimately how difficult the developers wanted it to be. Those first couple promising suborbital trajectories got me so hyped about KSP, and I was nearing the point of needing a psychiatrist because KSP was always on my mind. I was formulating plans, designing spacecraft, and daydreaming about my next mission all the time. Why so "WOW"? Because no game has ever made me do this before, and is still the only one to date to do so.

Of course, time passes, I get infinitely times better, and begin to see the solar system. I still get those "WOW" moments every now and then, one being today when I was crashing the game testing Astronomer's new Interstellar visual pack. "WOW!" What KSP is able to process is astounding, and it really an amazing software.

Man, I'm passionate about KSP, aren't I? ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.