Abort staging

A thought I had:

It'd be nice if, instead of just an 'abort' action group, there were 'abort1', 'abort2' and 'abort3' action groups (for example). The first time you hit abort, the actions in 'abort1' would fire, the next time you hit abort, 'abort2' would fire, and so on. This would be useful for implementing a multi-step abort sequence (or at the least free up action group 0 to be used for something other than 'parachutes').

I'd prefer to be able to create a simple abort program: with timers and conditions, like decouplers firing, LES firing, all other engines shutdown, and after some delay, chutes opening.

But SQUAD is very reluctant to give us anything but fully manual control. When milliseconds count, it's very inconvenient.

I have suggested that exact same thing in a thread before. (As well as safe staging, where you can setup staging to be a two key process like alt + space instead of just space.)

It seems the most straightforward and obvious suggestion but for some reason people aren't that enthusiastic about it. :huh:

Ya I would really like to se maybe even a mod that you can set the flight path to and if the rocket deviates too much it will automatically abort or if and engine explodes per say. I agree, manual control seems like it is a bit too excessive but then again everyone does have their own opinions so I think that is why SQUAD made the game the way it is.

Ya I would really like to se maybe even a mod that you can set the flight path to and if the rocket deviates too much it will automatically abort or if and engine explodes per say. I agree, manual control seems like it is a bit too excessive but then again everyone does have their own opinions so I think that is why SQUAD made the game the way it is.

kOS can check such angles and axecute an action group on a condition.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68089-0-25-kOS-Scriptable-Autopilot-System-v0-15-2-2014-11-19

To explode smth you can probably use some of this:

TAC Self-Destruct

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/25830-0-25-TAC-Self-Destruct-v1-4-12Oct

kExplosives

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98080-Part-0-25-KerTex-Explosives-%28K-Tex%29-v1-1

Dyn-o-mite

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/94152-0-24-2-Dyn-O-Mite!-vers-1-0-18-Sep-14

I'd like to see the game allow you to have a subsystem carry its own staging which won't show in your main staging until the subsystem has been deployed or activated. In cases which you detach the subsystem, it could function like a completely separate craft complete with its own staging which you don't have to worry about having activated early. This would be useful for the aforementioned Abort staging, allowing you to link the Abort command to detach the main capsule along with the rest of the things attached to it and their own staging setup.

While I can see there being some situations where this could let you build things you couldn't just do with clever stage sequence design, there's only so many buttons on the keyboard.

IDK if suddenly trying to hit Backspace+3 when your vessel starts to crumple is going to be that easy.

I'd prefer to be able to create a simple abort program: with timers and conditions, like decouplers firing, LES firing, all other engines shutdown, and after some delay, chutes opening.

But SQUAD is very reluctant to give us anything but fully manual control. When milliseconds count, it's very inconvenient.

YES! YES! YES!

staging timers and action group timers would be amazing! you could solve so many problems. yes its automation but the cat is out of the bag now with advanced SAS functions now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.