You design style of choice?

TimePeriod

Minimalistic?

Maybe futuristic?

Perhaps gigantisme is your pleasure?

What about; way back in the 60's?

Organic? No, I'm not talking about Surgeon Simulator.

How about plant based, with all those leaves and branches?

How we choose to design our rockets, our aircraft or space-stations tell us a lot about who we are.

I'm not one for making long posts, so I'm just going to leave you with this question:

Do you have a preferd style? Something which shrines through everything you do in Kerbal Space Program?

Edited by TimePeriod

Minimalist but good-looking,

I'll generally only go for what's needed to achieve a specific goal as quickly as possible but... if it looks better with nose cones or I can get a cool shot of it with extra gizmos... you best beleive I'll add unnecessary stuff for the sake of appearance!

I prefer to build realistic craft. My rockets look like real life rockets and my planes look like they could actually fly.

Whenever possible I keep my payload inside cargo bays or fairings. I would hate it if my planes look like a builders scaffold with bits and pieces sticking out.

When building stations I usually go for futuristic giants.

I keep my vessels sleak and lightweight as every pound of weight will cost you immensely :)

Yes, but reusable, and multipurpose saves money.

It costs about half a million funds to build and loft a large interplanetary craft. After the 1st flight, I can send up a fresh crew and more fuel for 20,000.

You don't build a new car every time you go out for coffee.

Minimalistic, I do what I can with what I really need. Also, I try to keep part-counts down, anything above 280 parts starts to slow the game down for me.

Sadly, this means making crafts that actually look nice is really hard, so most of my crafts just look like a tank with a capsule and a nuclear engine attached.

Large - unless it's a small payload when I go minimalist - smooth, slightly futuristic with a touch of retro - unless it's a satellite when it looks like I tipped the parts bin into a cargo bay. Even though I can build rockets I seem to be preferring spaceplanes at the moment.

I upload a lot of random screenshots, see for yourself ;)

Edited by Van Disaster

Artistic. I had a look I want in my mind for a craft I want to make, then I do all I could to make that thing fly. They may not be efficient. They may not work well. But they would look very nice even while spinning out of control and falling to a fiery unplanned disassembly.

This is how I build:

*constructs Mun lander*

Hmmmm... My launch stage is a bit big. I'll bet I can add some extra science equipment to the lander.

*adds 5000 science parts*

Hmmmm... My lander is a bit big. I'd better beef up the launch stage.

*adds ten extra stages*

Hmmmm... I bet I can add a few more stages to the lander. Just to be on the safe side after adding those science parts...

So... I build big. Very, very big.

I build for realism.

Example rules:

1. No pancake rockets.

2. Landers must use lander cans.

3. Re-entry must be accomplished with a spaceplane or blunt body truncated cone.

4. Kerbals must have "living quarters" (hitchhiker module) on long journeys.

etc...

Hmmm...hard to say. I've built insane huge stuff, I've also built some quite lightweight and elegant stuff.

But if there's one thing in common, I'd say functional. I tend to show all parts - I don't like hiding stuff away (like batteries) too much. I will add nosecones, and in FAR fairings, but I won't go out of my way to make stuff look all neat and streamlined.

I guess you could call my build style "minimalist" but since I've gone for more realism mods (NEAR, TAC, and DR) all of my builds end up more on the "realistic looking" end of that spectrum, and I don't end up with any really tiny designs based on external seats or anything like that. Generally I try to keep weight and part counts down to a reasonable level while making a craft that is as useful as possible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.