[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

Guys I built super simple plane with Derwen V engines, and every time when I activate this engine my ship lost control (the Remote tech goes from local control to No control). So what is wrong? If I change engines to XLR11 it works fine...

I think Scott Manley experienced this problem on a recent-ish livestream, where he was building a jet plane with the Derwent, but any time he throttled back too far, it locked controls. I noticed a second indicator bar by the engine icon in the staging list, in red, showing 'Eng. Int', whatever that means. It seemed to me that whenever that graph went to zero, that was when controls locked up. It seemed to somewhat follow the throttle level. Does any of that sound familiar?

The Aerobee and AJ-10 are both working fine as in TestFlight accepts them as engines, but the system does not seem to pick up the vanguard as a valid engine.

I don't know from TestFlight, but the Vanguard engine part is unusual in that it includes a couple of small RCS-ish thrusters in addition to the engine itself. That might be confusing it.

I was thinking... Would ot be possible to add contracts with part request? I'm thinking about military contracts, requiring you to launch a speciffic sat. Requested part might be a probe core made specifically for this, that's way too heavy / expensive / useless (for a space agency / even telemetry not available) to use it over other cores...

This seems a bit odd. I've researched both "Basic Capsules" and "Improved Instrumentation" but "Second-Gen Capsules" still says "Technology has unresearched requirements". I figured it was because that tech node costs 100 research points and I've only got the level 1 R&D Facility. I just figured I needed to upgrade my R&D facility (which is already in the works) so I wasn't worried. However, I've got research points to spend and was looking at what nodes were available and came across "Space Exploration" which only costs 90 research points. So what I find strange is the Gemini Cabin comes in the "Second-Gen Capsules" node, and the Apollo Command and Service modules (plus the ascent and decent stages of the LEM) become available with "Space Exploration" node. Meaning I can research the Apollo stuff faster then I can the Gemini stuff. And the Apollo stuff requires less research and fewer requirements. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the Apollo CSM and LEM become available with the "Command Modules" node? Or at least have "Second Gen Capsules" be a requirement for "Space Exploration".

EDIT: Not sure if this is the right thread for this but I noticed that the LR79-NA-13 (MB-3-3) has 831.8kN thrust and 292 Vac Isp in game. But according to the chart at http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets/Diverse/U.S._Rocket_engines/engines.htm, it should have 858.5kN thrust and 283.9 Vac Isp. The reduced thrust makes it more difficult to recreate the Thor Long Tank.

Actually, based on the chart I mentioned, all three MB-3 engines (LR19-NA-9, -11 & -13) are supposed to have the same 283.9 Vac Isp. Each just has more thrust. Was this done intentionally?

EDIT: Still not sure if this is the right thread for this but there seems to be an issue with the "Human Orbital (1/LEO)" contract. According to the contract information you're supposed to put a capsule with a single kerbal into orbit around earth. That orbit is supposed to be below 400km and above 150km. And you're supposed to hold that orbit for 9 hours. Well, the first 4 conditions seems to work just fine (orbit, earth, <400km, >150km) but the 9 hour condition doesn't seem to count. I've run this contract a couple times now and every time, the "Orbit" portion completes as soon as I get my apoapsis and periapsis right.

Edited by chrisl

Is there a way in RP-0 to unlock the more advanced engine configurations? For example how to upgrade the Aerobee sustainer from WAC Corporal to XASR-1.

If you right click the part, click show GUI - it will pop up a menu. At the top of the menu are options to unlock or select various variants of parts (eg the ethanol-burning A6 has an option has an option for A7 burning hydyne) - it will have the cost of the unlock if it needs unlocking, or the cost of use if it is unlocked; if you haven't got the required tech yet, it will tell you it's locked because you don't have the tech.

I have an issue where all the SXT piston engines shoot flames from the prop, no idea what causes this as I'm just running RP-0 and nothing else.

Any ideas how to fix this?

"Nothing else" means no Realism Overhaul and its dependencies? Because I don't think RP-0 makes sense with stock physics...

"Nothing else" means no Realism Overhaul and its dependencies? Because I don't think RP-0 makes sense with stock physics...

Yes, only RO and RP-0 with everyhting needed/suggested loaded in ckan. The SXT engines do say that they're not compatible with RP-0 but I don't see why they would register as a jet engine since one of the SXT piston engines (the lowest-tech one) works perfectly.

Edited by Meshugenerd

Hi

I just tried to install RP-0 and i get these errors:

[LOG 11:33:13.275] [ModuleManager] ModuleManager: 19159 patches applied, found 33 errors

32 errors related to GameData/RP-0/Science/Results/ResultClearer.cfg

1 error related to GameData/RP-0/PartHacks.cfg

This is in my RSS folder:

00_FilterExtensions

000_FilterExtensions Configs

000_Toolbar

ActiveTextureManagement

AIES_Aerospace

AJE

AtomicAge

B9_Aerospace

BetterBuoyancy

CommunityResourcePack

CommunityTechTree

ConnectedLivingSpace

ContractConfigurator

ContractPacks

CrossFeedEnabler

CustomBarnKit

DeadlyReentry

DMagicOrbitalScience

EngineGroupController

FASA

FerramAerospaceResearch

Firespitter

FShangarExtender

HabitatPack

Hakari

JSI

KAS

KerbalConstructionTime

KerbalJointReinforcement

Kopernicus

KWCommunityFixes

KWRocketry

LayeredAnimations

Lionhead_Aerospace_Inc

MechJeb2

ModularFlightIntegrator

ModuleManager.2.6.7.dll

ModuleManager.ConfigCache

ModuleManager.ConfigSHA

ModuleManager.Physics

ModuleRCSFX

NearFutureConstruction

NearFutureElectrical

NearFutureProps

NearFuturePropulsion

NearFutureSolar

NearFutureSpacecraft

ProceduralFairings

ProceduralFairings-ForEverything

ProceduralParts

RCSBuildAid

RealChute

RealFuels

RealHeat

RealismOverhaul

RealSolarSystem

RLA_Stockalike

RP-0

RSS-Textures

SCANsat

ShipManifest

SmokeScreen

SolverEngines

SXT

TCShipInfo

TestFlight

TextureReplacer

ThunderAerospace

UniversalStorage

VenStockRevamp

The Log does not list any errors related to loading RP-0.

Also I noticed i do not get any initial contracts beside the Record ones (speed and altitude) is that normal ?

And Ideas ?

Edited by ManuxKerb

Don't know if this has been brought up before, or maybe its working as intended, but I just returned after doing these three significant prestige contracts using a single probe just to have them reappear again in the Mission Control:

q1zhPIj.png

Oh and upgrading the administration building as early as possible and getting the 60% Fundraising Campaign is way overpowered effectively doubling the reward from significant prestige contracts.

My space program is already filthy rich, and now ill be able to do these three contracts once more granting me another $720.000 spending just $5.600 on the probe.

Granted I'm playing on normal, but still.

And did I mention that Ill able to do this at least twice?!

Another thing: mechjeb ascent guidance will still be available regardless of the guidance rating, giving you the possibility to use this to orbit, and then have a small core to control the last stage(s)

Is this working as intended as well?

Seems a little cheaty, but then again so does mechjeb :-P

Oh and upgrading the administration building as early as possible and getting the 60% Fundraising Campaign is way overpowered effectively doubling the reward from significant prestige contracts.

My space program is already filthy rich, and now ill be able to do these three contracts once more granting me another $720.000 spending just $5.600 on the probe.

Granted I'm playing on normal, but still.

And did I mention that Ill able to do this at least twice?!

Another thing: mechjeb ascent guidance will still be available regardless of the guidance rating, giving you the possibility to use this to orbit, and then have a small core to control the last stage(s)

Is this working as intended as well?

Seems a little cheaty, but then again so does mechjeb :-P

Fundraising is indeed a bit OP, one shouldn't go above 25% at any times if u want to keep things realistic-ish. As for mechjeb... I consider it normal to use it, after all real rocket's weren't steered by hand like in stock KSP. There's an alternative called kOS, but ain't it too complicated?

Fundraising is indeed a bit OP, one shouldn't go above 25% at any times if u want to keep things realistic-ish. As for mechjeb... I consider it normal to use it, after all real rocket's weren't steered by hand like in stock KSP. There's an alternative called kOS, but ain't it too complicated?

Well, first of all, it's a sandbox game, so the definition of "cheating" is anyone's own choice. Personally I never use MechJeb, because I consider flying my spacecraft to be the core gameplay. For me that would feel like playing a flight simulator and letting the autopilot do everything. Manually getting that Saturn V into the perfect orbit, under the constraints of RSS and RO, feels like a real accomplishment to me, and I wouldn't let any autopilot spoil that for me. I do, however, use Kerbal Engineer to get all the flight data, because - much like in a flightsim - knowing your height above ground, or your remaining fuel, makes sense to me.

Others see the designing of rockets as their core gameplay, and let MJ do the work of actually flying them. And some, for example, like building giant space stations and use MJ to do the shuttle flights for the material. Different goals, different styles of play, I guess.

EDIT: Regarding kOS - that's actualy scripting, you're writing programs to control your rocket. It's a completely different kind of gameplay, but also one that I'd find much more rewarding than using pre-made scripts or something like MJ.

Well, first of all, it's a sandbox game, so the definition of "cheating" is anyone's own choice. Personally I never use MechJeb, because I consider flying my spacecraft to be the core gameplay. For me that would feel like playing a flight simulator and letting the autopilot do everything. Manually getting that Saturn V into the perfect orbit, under the constraints of RSS and RO, feels like a real accomplishment to me, and I wouldn't let any autopilot spoil that for me. I do, however, use Kerbal Engineer to get all the flight data, because - much like in a flightsim - knowing your height above ground, or your remaining fuel, makes sense to me.

Others see the designing of rockets as their core gameplay, and let MJ do the work of actually flying them. And some, for example, like building giant space stations and use MJ to do the shuttle flights for the material. Different goals, different styles of play, I guess.

EDIT: Regarding kOS - that's actualy scripting, you're writing programs to control your rocket. It's a completely different kind of gameplay, but also one that I'd find much more rewarding than using pre-made scripts or something like MJ.

I like using MJ because, as others have said, real rockets aren't manually controlled. Flight control sets burn characteristics and then the flight computer takes over. Even on manned flights this tends to be the case. But that said, I find that with RSS and RO I have to make a lot of corrections during the burn to get that my desired orbit and that's good too. It's (to me) a happy middle ground between complete manual flying and complete autopilot.

I have encountered a problem with the derwen V jet basic jet engine. Every time I try to fire it on the runway the controls shut down, the capsule says "no electric charge" although the battery is full. And the engine GUI is displaying negative thrust. Any ideas how to fix that?

Edited by Warp11

I have encountered a problem with the derwen V jet basic jet engine. Every time I try to fire it on the runway the controls shut down, the capsule says "no electric charge" although the battery is full. And the engine GUI is displaying negative thrust. Any ideas how to fix that?

That's a well known and pretty common bug. For now you just have to deal with it and avoid using this engine. The other jets work just fine.

I don't think this will help the dev to fix the bug, but it may help you.

I have the same problem, and I have noticed that this only happens when there is an additional engine (even a single one) on the craft; every engine counts, except maybe solid rocket motor. I'm sure I've tried with SRBs, but memory fails me and I am not in range of my PC.

Try it, perhaps it is the same for you. :)

Disclaimer: I should add that I have many mods and I have disabled AJE and edited some more other stuff, so don't count this as a bug-report or anything close to that! :)

Did you RO/RSS run OK before you installed RP-0? My advice would be to first try that, see whether that's working and then add more and more mods.

Yes, It was working fine, RO and RSS. <:-(

- - - Updated - - -

When you downloaded RSS, did you get one of the three texture sets? I don't use Ckan so I'm not sure how it does the textures but when you do a manual install you have to specifically go and download the 2048, 4096 or 8192 texture file and make sure it's installed. That got me the correct ground textures. I don't get clouds but I think that's from another mod that I don't have.

Yes, when you click on the mod RSS in the Ckan, a window automatically shows up for you to choose which one of the three textures you want it to come with, we cannot install it without choosing one of them, I tried it with Realism Overhaul and without it, it didn't make any difference in terms of making Realistic Progression Zero work. The mod RSS was working fine as well as RO. (sorry for taking so long to answer, that's because I was waiting for an e-mail's notification of someone's Reply in here, but it didn't come, so I decided to check for a Reply in this page by my own)

I don't think this will help the dev to fix the bug, but it may help you.

I have the same problem, and I have noticed that this only happens when there is an additional engine (even a single one) on the craft; every engine counts, except maybe solid rocket motor. I'm sure I've tried with SRBs, but memory fails me and I am not in range of my PC.

Try it, perhaps it is the same for you. :)

:)

I will play around with it a bit and see what happens, but there are no other engines on my craft. But if its a known bug that's all good.

Nathankell: Congratulations on joining the dev team! That sounds awesome. Are you allowed to tell us what you will be working on? And will you still have time for all the Realism Mods?

Edited by Warp11

Woo, going back a long way. Sorry for the absence.

chrisl: to make Vanguard, use some Baby Sergeants. A couple stages worth should equal the GCR solid. The Altair really fits halfway between Early Orbital and Basic Solids...

As to Mercury-Redstone, the tank is actually just the Jupiter-C tank with the avionics built in (rather than in a detachable nosecone as in the Juno configuration), so it's in the correct node for its stats.

As to Pluto missions: yeah, not sure why the stock satellite contract system is doing that. We plan to replace all stock contracts however...

As to spin stabilization: Of course you can! Spin the whole upper stage (via spin rockets or RCS) before separating the kick stage and payload.

As to RT: note that RO uses the 'root' rangemodel, where range between two nodes with ranges r1 and r2 is Min(r1, r2) + sqrt(r1 * r2). Since ground stations have incredibly large ranges, it shouldn't take more than 4 Comm16s on a probe to have a signal in lunar SOI.

Warp11: Thanks! In the official 1.1 announcement it broadly covers what I'm working on. I'll still be working on these mods, too, although perhaps not quite as much. :)

Hi NathanKell: congrats for being on the team. I am sure it will further improve speed & quality of the development!

If you also have time to work on the realism mods, that'd be totally awesome. Who knows, maybe there can even be a "realism mode" in unmodded KSP, that incorporates most of RO?

Gustav

What exactly does "RP-0 nocost" mean in the descriptions of some of my parts? I understand they are not in the "base" version of RP-0, but is it OK to use them?

Nocost means that the cost of those parts has not been determined for RP0. You can use those parts if you want. They'll work, and they'll be only available when you did the appropriate science. But they are likely to be over or underpriced, and in this respect out of balance.