[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

6 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@cytosine Re: flags, It's a stock bug: RP-0 doesn't allow it until level 3, but the game uses EVAUnlocked for both EVA possible, and flags when creating the upgrade level text.

Okay, good to know, thanks!  Here, I hope this helps:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki/FAQ#why-cant-my-kerbal-plant-a-flag-when-our-astronaut-complex-is-level-2-and-clearly-says-kerbals-can-place-flags

If I'm getting annoying please say the word and I'll gladly stop!  :)

Ahoy!

A little ballance suggestion / issue I have. Not sure if I should post it here or in RO, but anyway...

When I go interplanetary, and especially when going manned interplanetary, the vessels in RO / RSS / RP-0 get quite big. The problem I have is, that to get a reasonable control authority over the ships, I need enormous ammounts of RCS thrusters... to the point where like half of my part count number is in RCS. It has quite an impact on FPS and physics performance. It would be very nice to have a reasonably ballanced set of heavy thrusters that simply scale up in cost and mass accordingly to their thruster power. If there is a compatible mod that offers something like a 10X thruster, I am probably missing it. I tried to edit some thrusters myself, but failed at getting it to work...

EDIT: another issue I ran in lately is the global time limit of KSP. Not sure if something can be done about this on the modding end, but with RP-0 one can run into the 68 years barrier quite easily with KCT and a (subjectively felt) slower overall progress. Though, maybe 1.1 will fix that anyway...

Edited by TrooperCooper

I just found the M-1 engine. Good lord. Even got a sea level config. I'm in love.

20 hours ago, TrooperCooper said:

Ahoy!

A little ballance suggestion / issue I have. Not sure if I should post it here or in RO, but anyway...

When I go interplanetary, and especially when going manned interplanetary, the vessels in RO / RSS / RP-0 get quite big. The problem I have is, that to get a reasonable control authority over the ships, I need enormous ammounts of RCS thrusters... to the point where like half of my part count number is in RCS. It has quite an impact on FPS and physics performance. It would be very nice to have a reasonably ballanced set of heavy thrusters that simply scale up in cost and mass accordingly to their thruster power. If there is a compatible mod that offers something like a 10X thruster, I am probably missing it. I tried to edit some thrusters myself, but failed at getting it to work...

You need to be more careful. Like in real life, there is actually very little need for easily controllable ships in space. Your only real maneuver is pointing the ship towards maneuvers nodes, which can take a while (use physics- or normal warp+PersistantRotation mod for speedup) without causing issues. And some docking at times, but that's a very slow maneuver IRL as well.

Edited by Temeter

24 minutes ago, Temeter said:

I just found the M-1 engine. Good lord. Even got a sea level config. I'm in love.

You need to be more careful. Like in real life, there is actually very little need for easily controllable ships in space. Your only real maneuver is pointing the ship towards maneuvers nodes, which can take a while (use physics- or normal warp+PersistantRotation mod for speedup) without causing issues. And some docking at times, but that's a very slow maneuver IRL as well.

The thing is, I can do it just fine with the tools I have. It just ruins my part count and FPS. So it makes sense to have bigger (ballanced) thrusters.

A Q as Im not certain Im I missing something. Starting new game Ro+RSS, biological container cannot be right clicked, nothing happened when on launchpad but can be open or closed while in VAB.  Barometer and temperature instruments can only be toggled on and off,  again no offer to transmit or stock experiment.  Is this intended and Im missing some tech or something or is a bug?

On 12/21/2015 at 9:21 AM, Fenisse said:

This is something I've been working on since RP-0 for 1.0.4 first came out (even though I created the album when I was already in 1958). Now that 1.0.5 is out, I've been continuing with the existing save (it works perfectly!) and I wanted to show you guys my work (even though this thread is kind of sleeping...). Yeah, I know it's very similar to NathanKell's one, we've just had similar ideas and moreover I've spoken to him and he says it's completely fine. I may or may not repost this on the main RP-0 thread.

found this which seems to be RP-0 related

Have a quick question about parachutes.  Fist off, I just entered the wold of RSS/RO/RP-0, and love it so far.  Just started my first career game, and noticed that for small sounding rockets I can't resize any of the parachutes to make them fit.  Saw an earlier post that said you have to use the action group menu for that. However, at the beginning of career you don't have access to action groups.  Are you meant to have all your first few rockets crash?

If it makes any difference, I had to put together all the required mods a little haphazardly, because a few of them still link to KerbalStuff in CKAN, so those I had to install manually.  Did I mess something up, or is this intended? Thanks in advance!

Edit:  If it's something that I borked during the install, that's fine. I'm honestly not looking to do a bunch of troubleshooting, it's working well enough.  I'm really just curious about the intended behavior or 'chutes in the early career.

Edited by FullMetalMachinist

@FullMetalMachinist RealChute parachutes resize differently: Go to action group editor mode (yes, RP-0 makes that available at all VAB/SPH tiers) and click on the chute. Change the parameters in the window on the left that comes up.They do stuff there, not via right-click.

Note that appears on for RealChute procedural chutes (stack, cone, radial), not the Mk X parachutes.

Thanks for the reply! 

5 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Go to action group editor mode (yes, RP-0 makes that available at all VAB/SPH tiers) and click on the chute.

So there is something goofy with my install, because I definitely do not have access to the action group editor yet. 

Is fixing it as simple as going into the custom barn kit config (that's what does it, right?) and changing the building tier it's available at? 

Edit: Taking another look at my GameData folder, I realize that I'm an IDIOT.  I successfully installed RO & RSS and all their dependent mods, and I got all of RP-0's dependents, but I forgot to install RP-0 itself. I assume there is a CustomBarnKit config that's specifically for RP-0 included with it, yes?  I only have the default config for it.

Edited by FullMetalMachinist

Can anyone let me know what I'm missing, I have access to a lot of parts straight up (chutes, thermometer, barometer, a few crew capsules for planes) but no engines (only the snub and separatron) and then same with fuel tanks there seems to be a lot more then there should be, to finishing it off I don't have the sounding rocket avionics package and I can't see it in the tech tree (basic avionics is empty too, no parts in that node).

I've tried to figure it out myself, have done a fresh install with RSS, RO & RP-0 and all their REQUIREMENTS but nothing more and it's still the same. I have played with RSS, RO and RP in the past and it worked fine so I have no idea what's going on, but without the avionics package I can't make sounding rockets, and with all those parts from the get-go it doesn't feel very realistic progression >.<

EDIT: Nevermind, somehow I managed to not have RO its self installed

Edited by bradleyjh
Problem solved

Quick question. I am doing my first RP-0 career with all required and recommended mods, and after my tracking station upgrade was completed, in the map view my orbital trajectories were displayed in blue but I still could not manually add a maneuver node. MechJeb maneuver planner was able to create nodes but I could not by clicking on the trajectory path. I was not even able to right click and get rlthe option to warp to that point. Is this a bug or did I manage to bork my install?

Question: are more habitat options likely to be added any time soon? And contracts to encourage space stations? I have gemini but nothing to do MOL with...

I feel as though manned orbital contracts for an extended period plus stock station building contracts would be really welcome.

Also, the tantares soyuz and shenzhou OMs aren't RP-0 compatible yet.

11 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@smartdummies just like in stock KSP, it takes a Mission Control upgrade to get flight planning (as the right-click popup says). :)

@NathanKell I do have the upgrade finished, and everything except the ability to manually interact witn my orbital trajectory is working correctly. I was checking to see if my install was messed up or if this might be something similar to the inability to place flags until the astronaut center is fully upgraded but in stock you can Plat flags at level 2. If I need to reinstall I will certainly do that just wanted to check first.

@smartdummies in stock as well as in RO, flight planning requires mission control at level 2. Not sure how you got stock to make nodes for you otherwise. :] With MJ, MJ can create the nodes once TS alone is upgraded (because it doesn't respect the gamevariable regarding node creation), but to do it yourself requires the mission control upgrade.