[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

• Support Raidernick's US Probes pack. Thanks Trollception!
  • Add new 2 and 3-person LEO repeatable contracts, give them and 1/LEO random durations. Thanks chrisl!
  • Place and price cloned-from-SXT RD-107/108. Thanks Stratochief!
  • Support new Delta avionics unit (1.4m, 10t capacity, successor to Able).

Photo via NASSP, from NASA.

Success! Mostly. The small structural fuel tank of HTP for the RCS to help it hold retrograde still exploded but much further down and it wasn't a critical failure. Bad design on my part I'm sure. Any tips or preferred designs for small probe core reentry systems?

Glad to see the US Probes integration made it into this release. I was thinking about changing the avionics a bit to allow them to support slightly more tonnage than they currently do. It would be nice to get some feedback as users try them out. Should the US Probes go on the front page? Things like AIES/Scansat are not listed on the OP but are supported for the most part in RP-0 and really enhance the experience, maybe a supported mods section?

Success! Mostly. The small structural fuel tank of HTP for the RCS to help it hold retrograde still exploded but much further down and it wasn't a critical failure. Bad design on my part I'm sure. Any tips or preferred designs for small probe core reentry systems?

Normally on my probes I put rcs fuel in the probe itself rather than having an extra tank.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure if this is RP-0 or maybe CTT but I have noticed that sometimes when parts are moved to different nodes on the tech tree, the node will not indicate that it has an unpurchased part unless I actually click on it. For instance, with the latest update has a R7 Core and Booster engine added to the "Basic Orbital Rocketry" node. When I look at the tech tree, that node doesn't indicate there are any unbought parts, but when I actually click on the node, it shows there are two parts available for purchase.

Also, in "Improved Instrumentation" there seems to be an issue with the "ST2 Solar Panel". When I click on the "Improved Instrumentation" node it says there is 1 part available for purchase and that part is the "ST2 Solar Panel". But there is also an entry for the "ST2 Solar Panel" marked as owned and no matter how many times I spend the money to buy the part that's listed, it always returns when I exit and return to the R&D building.

- - - Updated - - -

I love that the American probe pack is not supported by RP-0. But shouldn't most of these probes have at least a small avionics package? Otherwise you basically have to attach them to another probe part in order to actually use them.

I'd like to suggest that the "maxCompletions" for unscrewed landings be increased. We've sent numerous probes to land on the moon and mars but, in game, once you do this once you can never get another contract to do it again. Would be nice to be able to run this sort of contract a few times.

EDIT: Also noticed that many of the American probes include a "Probe Report" along with "Analyze Telemetry". Not sure if that was intentional or not but since it's only on the American probes (that I've seen so far), I thought I'd point it out. Plus, the "Surveyor Lunar Probe" has "Observe Mystery Goo" and "Radio Plasma Wave Scan". Mystery Goo need to be replaced with Bio Sample. And since RPWS can't be done from the surface, I'd like to suggest this be replaced with "Radiation Data" or some other ground based science.

Edited by chrisl

Oh, dang, totally forgot I was supposed to fix those. Will do.

As for the contracts: In RP-0 there's a divide between Milestone contracts and repeatables. In the same way you get First Crewed Orbital once, and then the repeatables, you should get First Moon Landing, and then repeatable moon landing contracts (the latter don't exist yet though).

Is Infernal Robotics supported? I noticed some of the parts in the tree.yml. Is there a list of all the supported mods which are not listed on the OP? SCAN is another one I can think of that appears to be supported but the OP doesn't reference it. I will definitely be installing infernal robotics to make a spin table.

ScanSAT is WIP supported--it was, vaguely, supported before 1.0, but I think part placement needs some touching up. The parts definitely need a pricing pass though.

IR is...WIP at best, also. It's in the tree because pjf wanted to use it, but the costs again need some rework, and the node placement too after the tree revamp (especially since hinges, per se, are probably a starting tech). It also requires TweakScale, which is dangerous.

ScanSAT is WIP supported--it was, vaguely, supported before 1.0, but I think part placement needs some touching up. The parts definitely need a pricing pass though.

IR is...WIP at best, also. It's in the tree because pjf wanted to use it, but the costs again need some rework, and the node placement too after the tree revamp (especially since hinges, per se, are probably a starting tech). It also requires TweakScale, which is dangerous.

Oh hmm. So TweakScale is dangerous huh? Maybe that has something to do with the stream of NullReferenceExceptions I get when using procedural fuel tanks, then again maybe not. It looks like with the US probes antenna and SCAN stuff I have a few things to add to my todo list to look into. This is becoming Simcity 4 all over again for me :D

Chrisl- Yeah that idea just occured to me. Now I'm wondering how best to put a parachute on it. Anyway to resize chutes in RO+RP-0?

To resize chutes you use the action groups section in the VAB/SPH and then select a chute. A special menu should appear which allows you to tweak the chute and the size. I believe the CustomBarnKit which is required for RP-0 allows usage of action groups from the start of the career.

Procedural Parts (the mod) doesn't use tweakscale. The exceptions you get are from CrossFeedEnabler, which I haven't had time to fix yet since they're harmless.

Tweakscale has a serious issue with RF (which, again, haven't had time to fix) and also has a habit of making vessels' centers of mass go outside them and other nasty things.

Correct on the latter bit! :)

Actions groups! I don't use them often on my normally rather plain launch systems. Thank you Trollception.

Nathan- Will using future propulsion and some of it's siblings to fill in later nodes work for now without killing my game? Also do you have plans for ISRU? The RO+RP game has a lot of particular resources for it's modified TAC filters/converters. Do you have plans to eventually make Mars or lunar base sustainability possible? Having just read the Martian I'm thinking drill soil into a tank, add biomass and electric charge (either through sunlight hitting the roof to provide natural light but measured as charge or through charge used as grow lamps), and yeah potatoes!

Oh one thing I've noticed. I don't know how this mod interacts with KCT but for the purposes of RP-0 orbit simulations are overly expensive. Part of the problem is that you often start over the pacific and need to have a longer duration (more expensive) test to get signal (when it's early and you haven't loaded the place with commsats) before you can try anything with an unmanned system.

Herrkurt: Near Future will be supported eventually (and it's supported by RO itself), but it hasn't been placed/priced in RP-0 yet. For ISRU, check out the "Real ISRU" thread in Addon Dev for what RO will eventually use.

For sims, hmm, I hadn't noticed them being particularly expensive. You are on the RP-0 preset, yes?

Also: for whoever was having issues with duplicate ST2 panels: Uninstall RP-0, delete the RP-0 folder from gamedata if it remains, then install it fresh. That will fix it.

Yep using RP-0 preset on KCT. I want to test an upper stage worth 2,800 to see if it can orient, lower periapsis, and reenter safely. To do this I need about 1 hour 40 minutes of simulation because you start over the middle Pacific. One simulation costs about 8600. The stages to orbit are only worth 2080. So I could simulate starting from the pad over and over again when I know the ascent system works, or I could build one blindly and try it (for 4880), either is way cheaper than starting the simulation from orbit. I can't imagine what simulate larger test in orbit would cost.

Oh I suppose this difference matters. Starting at the pad with the launch system plus payload and doing an 1h 40m test is around 780. This gives more than enough time I think but that is how I've been doing it. Pain launching this thing because I can only trust MJ so far. Needs to be taught how to handle no throttle, limited ignitions and not start when fuel needs ullage.

Edited by Herrkurt

My fairings have disappeared from the VAB when building. I can load a craft that has them already and all acts normal but looking for the part in any menu yields nothing. I also noticed starting a new game in sandbox mode they are there just not in career mode. The parts seem to be in the right place...the very first node on the career chart. This happened with the last update so not sure if its RP0, Part Sort, RO or what. Anyone else seeing this?

Hi,

Did a new install from ckan, just wondering what the recommended mods truly are... does "Realism Overhaul and all its required mods" mean required & recommended (from RO thread and inside ckan recommended list), what about suggested from RO thread?

If anyone has the answer and the time to share it i would really appreciate it. Just dont want too many parts that arnt RP-0 supported hanging out in my install.

Oh one thing I've noticed. I don't know how this mod interacts with KCT but for the purposes of RP-0 orbit simulations are overly expensive. Part of the problem is that you often start over the pacific and need to have a longer duration (more expensive) test to get signal (when it's early and you haven't loaded the place with commsats) before you can try anything with an unmanned system.

I actually tend to turn off simulation costs in KCT. Never really understood having to pay, even small amounts, to test whether a design was viable or not. Or to try out different ascent profiles. When I was designing my surveyor probe (this was before I added American probes to my mod list), I must have run through about a hundred sims trying get the weights and thrusts right. And since each sim took place in moon orbit, I could only do a single test before having to go back to the hangar and call up another sim. No idea how much I would have spent doing all those tests if I were paying for sims.

I actually tend to turn off simulation costs in KCT. Never really understood having to pay, even small amounts, to test whether a design was viable or not.

You know what? I agree. Most of the things I run simulations for is stuff that really shouldn't cost me anything. Like, "is my sounding rocket pointed due north" or "is this asymmetric vessel reasonably balanced" or "the heatshield also serves as decoupler, but which side will detach"?