[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

@Starwaster
Did I have to do something other than putting that .cfg into the DeadlyReentry folder?  Because I did that, rebooted the game, and it hasn't changed.

EDIT:
Ah, nevermind, I got it.  Works properly now.

Edited by PTNLemay

@PTNLemay I see your DRE question got answered, but just wanted to say if you want to do sub orb contracts,  I found it much cheaper/faster to launch straight up, but then use some retro's on the way back in, timing them so they burn out around ~40km.  My sub orbital launcher had about 3400dv w/an A4 for the up phase, and 1500 with just Aerobees for the retros- mostly because I was doing those suborbital flights with a Heinkel cockpit. :wink:

@ Maxsimal
I'm beginning to realize that, yeah.  And since the early engines don't have multiple ignitions I need to reserve and entire top stage just for de-orbiting.  And have it be big enough that it can drop me bellow 2000 m/s.

Still, if it saves my little green men, I'm sold.

Yeah, I made mine 2 stages, though you could easily do a single stage build if you wanted to - I just found it took too much time to 'rebuild' an SST(S)O to make it worthwhile for me to do it with KCTs recovery system. 

And yeah,  I actually really love all the limitations imposed by using real rocket engine constraints (other than when I end up not realizing WHY something is screwing up, then it's a bit frustrating).  Kerbal was already fun, but RO has made it so much better.

Edited by Maxsimal

I've been forced to restart my career run due to a disastrous Mars mission, so I'm back to the beginning and I'm noticing something weird. 

It it a thing that none of the control surfaces work early on in the tech tree?  I'm trying all of the available winglets, and if I use an engine that has no gimballing, the rocket won't turn... None of the winglets seem to be engaging.  Not just that but the ailerons aren't working either, only the procedurally generated ailerons are moving.  You can see in the pic I'm pitching, but the ailerons aren't budging.

6ZP86Tw.png

I noticed something sort of similar with fuel tanks, where I won't be able to connect a normal fuel-tank latterally, but the procedural ones will snap just fine.  Though this only happens with the really big ones, like the Atlas tanks, or the Titan tanks, or the Redstone one.   The smaller tanks do behave.

I know this is a very general question and not totally related to RP-0, but I believe that given the amount of different parts packs most people use to play here someone might have an answer...

After installing a bunch of parts packs to have a nice selection of engines, probes and other utilities (mostly solar panels, given I only use procedural parts for aerodynamics and tanks and I'm not interested in replicating real rockets), I have a bunch of duplicate items. I wonder if there is some tool, ingame or otherwise, to do a couple of things:

1) Know from which mod is a given part - this would help me to know if I have unnecessary mods, or at least get to the correct part folder to delete redundant parts. I always wonder why a list of the parts is not included in the OP of parts mods in the forum or in the github readme. Is this information available and readable in some file of a parts mod?

2) Delete automatically duplicate parts 

3) Delete all parts of a given type in a mod (Here I have custom tanks in mind, given I use only procedural ones).

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 0:53 PM, PTNLemay said:

I've been forced to restart my career run due to a disastrous Mars mission, so I'm back to the beginning and I'm noticing something weird. 

It it a thing that none of the control surfaces work early on in the tech tree?  I'm trying all of the available winglets, and if I use an engine that has no gimballing, the rocket won't turn... None of the winglets seem to be engaging.  Not just that but the ailerons aren't working either, only the procedurally generated ailerons are moving.  You can see in the pic I'm pitching, but the ailerons aren't budging.

6ZP86Tw.png

I noticed something sort of similar with fuel tanks, where I won't be able to connect a normal fuel-tank latterally, but the procedural ones will snap just fine.  Though this only happens with the really big ones, like the Atlas tanks, or the Titan tanks, or the Redstone one.   The smaller tanks do behave.

In the early game, you basically have no avionics control.  That means rockets pretty much only fly in whatever direction they are launched.  This eventually changes when you get the first avionics enabled core.  Are you noticing a notation right after you lift off that says anything about "Insufficient Avionics"?

EDIT: Totally missed the fact that it's a manned flight.  I was only looking at the rocket itself and thought it looked like an early sounding rocket.  Not sure why the control surfaces aren't working on a manned flight.  Sorry.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 1:41 PM, leudaimon said:

I know this is a very general question and not totally related to RP-0, but I believe that given the amount of different parts packs most people use to play here someone might have an answer...

After installing a bunch of parts packs to have a nice selection of engines, probes and other utilities (mostly solar panels, given I only use procedural parts for aerodynamics and tanks and I'm not interested in replicating real rockets), I have a bunch of duplicate items. I wonder if there is some tool, ingame or otherwise, to do a couple of things:

1) Know from which mod is a given part - this would help me to know if I have unnecessary mods, or at least get to the correct part folder to delete redundant parts. I always wonder why a list of the parts is not included in the OP of parts mods in the forum or in the github readme. Is this information available and readable in some file of a parts mod?

2) Delete automatically duplicate parts 

3) Delete all parts of a given type in a mod (Here I have custom tanks in mind, given I use only procedural ones).

Filter Extensions actually sets up tabs for each mod so you can at least see what parts came with each.  And you can use the AutoPruner script (talked about on the RO thread) to remove unwanted parts.

Edited by chrisl

14 minutes ago, chrisl said:

In the early game, you basically have no avionics control.  That means rockets pretty much only fly in whatever direction they are launched.  This eventually changes when you get the first avionics enabled core.  Are you noticing a notation right after you lift off that says anything about "Insufficient Avionics"?

He has an astronaut, so I don't think this is the issue

Filter Extensions actually sets up tabs for each mod so you can at least see what parts came with each.  And you can use the AutoPruner script (talked about on the RO thread) to remove unwanted parts.

Thank you very much! I guess this mostly covers my issues. I'll look into the autopruner in more detail, but looks just like it should help a lot in reducing the clutter!

I have two questions:

1.) I pretty often get contracts to move probes to a different orbit, which is most of the time not even doable because the probes don't have RCS or an engine. Also it's often a pretty big change like a change in inclination of 20 degrees. So can I get rid of these contracts?

2.) Is there any effective way or trick to get into a polar orbit around the moon? Becouse I needed almost 5 km/s Delta-V to get from a 200 km earth orbit to a 30 km polar moon orbit.

Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, LeuZ said:

I have two questions:

1.) I pretty often get contracts to move probes to a different orbit, which is most of the time not even doable because the probes don't have RCS or an engine. Also it's often a pretty big change like a change in inclination of 20 degrees. So can I get rid of these contracts?

2.) Is there any effective way or trick to get into a polar orbit around the moon? Becouse I needed almost 5 km/s Delta-V to get from a 200 km earth orbit to a 30 km polar moon orbit.

Thanks! 

1) Can't help much, but I also get bothered by that. I know these contracts come from stock, would it be possible to restrict this to probes with fuel? One possible workaround I considered was labelling these probes as debri, given I've never seen these contracts spawning for debries.

2) 5km/s looks a little high, but not that much; should not be less than 4 anyway. The most efficient way is set your flyby such that the periapsis of the transfer orbit is close to one of the poles, in an altitude close to your intended periapsis in the final low orbit. 

6 minutes ago, LeuZ said:

I have two questions:

Thanks! 

I think issue 1 is being worked on for the next RP-0 update.  Those are new (1.0.5) stock contracts that have yet to be turned off.

As for 2, I often fly polar moon missions and I don't think I'm spending more than 4km/s (including normal TLI burn).  The trick for me is to do a normal TLI burn, maybe with a slight elevation adjustment but definitely not enough to put me in a proper polar orbit.  The goal is to complete the TLI burn and have the AN/DN with the moon come up a short while later.  Then I do a course correction burn at AN/DN to adjust my final inclination as well as my target perilune.  For an intended polar orbit, my TLI burn is usually no more than around 3.5km/s and the course correction burn is normally not more than 150m/s.

1 hour ago, chrisl said:

my TLI burn is usually no more than around 3.5km/s and the course correction burn is normally not more than 150m/s

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I was referring to TLI (usually around 3.1-3.3 km/s) plus capture burn in the moon. To reach such a low orbit I'm guesstimating something close to another 1km/s

Edited by leudaimon

1 hour ago, leudaimon said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I was referring to TLI (usually around 3.1-3.3 km/s) plus capture burn in the moon. To reach such a low orbit I'm guesstimating something close to another 1km/s

I'm running another moon landing mission soon so I'll double check but I know the 100km target orbit I usually fly takes less then 800m/s for the capture burn.  I can't imagine a 30km orbit would take too much more since it's only around 16m/s (per burn) for my LEM to drop down to 30km orbit prior to landing.  All told, I'm guess even my polar orbit missions are only needing a bit over 4km for everything (TLI, Course Correction & Capture)

18 minutes ago, chrisl said:

All told, I'm guess even my polar orbit missions are only needing a bit over 4km for everything (TLI, Course Correction & Capture)

Yeah, that was also my guess in the original message (not less than 4) :wink:

3 hours ago, LeuZ said:

I have two questions:

Thanks! 

So here you go.  I'm currently running a lunar landing missions and while my mission doesn't require a polar orbit, I've plotted a course with one.  TLI but will run me just under 3200dV.  On this flight I have a course correction requiring less than 20dV but I've definitely seen up to 200dV just depending on when I make a flight.  Finally the lunar insertion burn is going to be just over 800dV.  So all told, I'm looking at just over 4km/s though I could see it being up to 4.2km/s.  Still significantly less than 5km/s.

16 minutes ago, chrisl said:

So here you go.  I'm currently running a lunar landing missions and while my mission doesn't require a polar orbit, I've plotted a course with one.  TLI but will run me just under 3200dV.  On this flight I have a course correction requiring less than 20dV but I've definitely seen up to 200dV just depending on when I make a flight.  Finally the lunar insertion burn is going to be just over 800dV.  So all told, I'm looking at just over 4km/s though I could see it being up to 4.2km/s.  Still significantly less than 5km/s.

OK, I definitly could have done it better. I try it again soon for a Lunar Radar Scan contract. Thanks for your help! 

Anyone run into a bug where the game seems to forget which items you've purchased to unlock?  For instance, I just had to repurchases the Grab-1 and Transit-2A probes even though I've got a mission already using them.

5 hours ago, Maxsimal said:

Anyone run into a bug where the game seems to forget which items you've purchased to unlock?  For instance, I just had to repurchases the Grab-1 and Transit-2A probes even though I've got a mission already using them.

Have you by chance updated your version of RP-0 since you last used the Grab-1 and Transit-2A?  I've seen that happen in my game after a RP-0 update moved the tech node a part was in.

15 hours ago, chrisl said:

Have you by chance updated your version of RP-0 since you last used the Grab-1 and Transit-2A?  I've seen that happen in my game after a RP-0 update moved the tech node a part was in.

No.  I did remove 1 mod, but nothing to do with RN's US probes pack, which is where those parts came from, I believe.  and I've had this happen several times now with parts from other packs - just had it happen with the side fairings that you unlock at node 0

On 2016/4/27 at 3:07 AM, leudaimon said:

Thank you very much! I guess this mostly covers my issues. I'll look into the autopruner in more detail, but looks just like it should help a lot in reducing the clutter!

AutoPruner is really awesome XD

I maintain an up-to-date(I hope) prune list pack so if you guys from RO and RP-0 want me to add anything to the pack feel free to comment in the thread!

Thread link is in my signature.

Hello,

I'm got some qushions.

- Are you got planes for 1.1.2 KSP version?

- There is some good modes which not supported. Have you got a planes for increase suported mod list?

Thank you for your work.

Edited by KOCTROTTAJI

On 7.05.2016 at 6:52 PM, KOCTROTTAJI said:

Hello,

I'm got some qushions.

- Are you got planes for 1.1.2 KSP version?

- There is some good modes which not supported. Have you got a planes for increase suported mod list?

Thank you for your work.

I assume you mean 'have plans' and not 'got planes'

They have a checklist of mod updates for 1.1 here https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/issues/1120

But in general, best not to bug mod authors for updates, they're doing it out of their own time.