[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

Question, if I want to add engine configs in RP-0's tech tree on github, how to do that? Currently playing around with SSTU, and I thought why not just add the myself. Other pull requests make it look quite simple.

Would I just add something like this under generalRocketry?

# RD-107 & RD-108. From SSTU
    SSTU-SC-ENG-RD-108A: &RD108
        cost: 700
    SSTU-SC-ENG-RD-107A: &RD107
        cost: 680
    SSTU-SC-ENG-RD-107X: &RD107
        cost: 680

And btw, I assume the &RD108 points towards a general config? What's the difference between that and *RD108?

@Temeteryes, that is the way to add new parts (it is just a Perl script). The ampersand indicates that a selected part name is a template and the asterist indicates that the cost of the selected part will be configured according to the template. In this example the RD-107 & 108 engine costs have already been configured and any other mod that adds these engines will not have to reconfigure them.

23 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Temeteryes, that is the way to add new parts (it is just a Perl script). The ampersand indicates that a selected part name is a template and the asterist indicates that the cost of the selected part will be configured according to the template. In this example the RD-107 & 108 engine costs have already been configured and any other mod that adds these engines will not have to reconfigure them.

Thanks! I think I'll go configuring the engines for a bit later today.~

@Phineas FreakSorry, I need to bother you with a bunch of questions about the tree:

1. There are a bunch of engines which don't yet have templates, and therfor no price estimations. There are some engines that have very hard to find or no pricing at all. Think stuff like the F-1B, Merlin-A/C/Cv(D at least got some material for estimations).

Should I just pull out a number and try to balance it on other engines and the history (e.g. F-1B concept was supposed to be cheaper than original)? With a note saying its a guess or so.

2. SSTU has some engines that haven't yet been configured for RO. Should I still put them into the tech tree just in case they are being done, or can that create problems?

3. Also, I'm going a bit out of realism here, but the RD-107x of SSTU isn't a real engine either, if very realistic. Basically a RD-107 without verniers, no gimbal at all. It would be comprehensible for it to be a bit cheaper than the R-107a, and deliver interesting gameplay opportunities (switching price vs controllability), but every price estimation would be completely arbitrary (and thus 'alternate history'). You think it's a good idea to make it e.g. 660 insted of 680?

Edited by Temeter

@Temeter the RD-107 and RD-108 are already placed in the tree, you can just reference them.

While sometimes guessing a number is the only course, we do try very, very hard not to do that.

If engines aren't configured by RO, probably best to not place/price them in RP-0 yet. For miscellaneous structural parts that can be done, but engines are more or less worthless (or possibly insanely overpowered, it depends) if they've not been RO-ized.

5 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@Temeter the RD-107 and RD-108 are already placed in the tree, you can just reference them.

While sometimes guessing a number is the only course, we do try very, very hard not to do that.

If engines aren't configured by RO, probably best to not place/price them in RP-0 yet. For miscellaneous structural parts that can be done, but engines are more or less worthless (or possibly insanely overpowered, it depends) if they've not been RO-ized.

Alright, RD-107x price point stays where it is , and other engines won't get placed! That actually minimized the amount of work for me. :3

Guess I'll just check if we got a F-1B price somewhere, and otherwise just copy the F-1 price, same for merlin variants (which are super cheap anyway).

Edited by Temeter

So, I've got all the stuff in the tech tree and dwim pearl. How do I covert that tree into a readable format?

It says i'm supposed to run perl bin/yml2mm, but i've got no clue how to do that.

Edited by Temeter

Yes, SSTU really needs to be placed in the tech tree! I may help to do that too :wink:

Also, copying my question on github about dependencies: Why do we need to install all these mods in order to play RP-0?

2 minutes ago, Zarbizaure said:

Yes, SSTU really needs to be placed in the tech tree! I may help to do that too :wink:

Too late, I've done all the easy work already! :wink:

Plumes are configured, gotta fix 2 issues i overlooked, and my preliminary tech tree (which I need to test now) is already finished.

Everything else will probably take a lot more work. There are still a few engines (and SRBs) which aren't configured for RO at all until now, not to mention pods. That stuff seems faaaaaaaaaaaar too complicated and scary and stuff for little me! If you wanna check it up, that would be awesome! :D

Edit: Btw, your FRE are awesome, loving the Viking engines! <3

Well done! I will let you do the pull request so :wink: 

About the SRBs: I configured the SRBs from my mod and so have a (tiny) experience on the thrustcurve, which takes about 90% of the work. I may look how to do it then...

Pods aren't configured? I though they were but did not installed SSTU for a while, I will check (SSTU really needs a CKAN release!)

Thanks! It's really nice to see so much support for a small mod like mine :D 

21 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@Three_Pounds huh, I thought we patched all chute costs. I'll take a look. @stupid_chris our system is 1 fund = 1000$USD in 1965 dollars--what conversion did you use for your prices?

It's been a while, but I *think* I went 1:1 (I is bright!). I can look again and figure it out for you if you'd like.

6 minutes ago, Zarbizaure said:

Well done! I will let you do the pull request so :wink: 

About the SRBs: I configured the SRBs from my mod and so have a (tiny) experience on the thrustcurve, which takes about 90% of the work. I may look how to do it then...

Pods aren't configured? I though they were but did not installed SSTU for a while, I will check (SSTU really needs a CKAN release!)

Well, it's really weird. A lot of the stuff is configured, but many things seem to be outdated? As I said, needs someone more knowledgeable to understand all the stuff. I've just dabled in some well put together configs that were easy to understand and half the data was already there.

Thanks! It's really nice to see so much support for a small mod like mine :D 

Small but fine! Also fits very well into RP-0, adding some european technology into the mix. Especially since the Ariane 5, and especially the viking engines, are some of the most reliable spacecraft hardware ever built.

Edited by Temeter

Well, I just re-downloaded SSTU, I will check if it's ok in RO or not. Maybe some sort of things are outdated since Shawdows Mage publish updates really frequently! And these may have broken the work done by the RO-team...

You're right, but viking were part of Ariane 1 to 4...they were still really reliable though! Also, Viking's Indian improvements have good performance too :) 

7 minutes ago, Zarbizaure said:

Well, I just re-downloaded SSTU, I will check if it's ok in RO or not. Maybe some sort of things are outdated since Shawdows Mage publish updates really frequently! And these may have broken the work done by the RO-team...

You're right, but viking were part of Ariane 1 to 4...they were still really reliable though! Also, Viking's Indian improvements have good performance too :) 

Yeah, i was talking about Ariane 4, not 5.^^

Ariane 5 is pretty much another level of technology.

Edited by Temeter

Yeah, I think that was a bit badly worded for me. There are lots of configs for parts and plumes, A1Ch1 did a huge amount of stuff. Ingame a lot of stuff doesn't seem to work correctly atm, tho.

E.g., all of the already existing plumes just didn't work because the file names changed. I think it might be that kind of issue. It seems almost like the way SRBs are divided up completely changed. Or at least the naming system.

EDIT: The SRBs do basic work, but they don't scale in weight when you change size. Thrust curves do seem to work. Realplume doesn't seem to work correctly, smokescreen toolbar config doesn't do anything.

@Zarbizaure take a look at the SSTU thread, apparently ShadowMage is currently going crazy with pod updates. :D

Might break the pods again if you update them now.

Edited by Temeter

8 minutes ago, Zarbizaure said:

Yeah, at least the Orion pod is borked - only the top decoupler is resized. Probably RO doesn't rescale the main model.

There is also a github pull request fixing the name of orion, soyuz and apollo, mentions SLS stage fixes. The RO configs might aim again in the completely wrong direction.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/pull/1235

11 minutes ago, Zarbizaure said:

@Temeter What he did seems ok. I did not tested but it matches the actual new part name, so I don't see what's wrong...

No, I mean the current configs WE use for the pods are completely borked, he fixed them. :wink:

E.g. in my install the orion pod is called soyuz.

Edited by Temeter

oh, sorry, I did not understood that. So that's nice! There still a bit of work, but I will really consider playing RO and SSTU once he'll have a stable release (withouth changing the part names!) :D

Hello,

I just made a fresh 1.1.2 install, copied it and applied RP-0 and all dependencies (that CKAN treat as compatible).

I have run into a strange BUG:

Thought I would start a new game and build a plane first. I Choose the Ju-87 cockpit, but as long as it is the root part, it's mass keeps increasing at a rate of several tons per second!

Any idea what to do about that, or to whom to report.

2nd Bug: Prices are now in British pounds?

3rd Bug: I can no longer unlock single parts and I cannot unlock them from within the hangar/VAB.

Edited by Nobody6

I just downloaded RP-0 and RO, and for some reason I don't have remote tech control stations at the launch sites, so I can't launch my sounding rocket :/ How to fix?

The only control station is in the middle of nowhere afrika.

EDIT: I figured it out. I had to load the RSS settings as opposed to the realism overhaul remotetech settings.

Edited by Kerbonaut257