Be honest. Who's used alt+F12 in career mode?

skyfire322

Never really had a need to when playing legit. I've used it in sandbox for screwing around and on test worlds to grant enough science to unlock specific tech nodes (make it easier to limit parts so I dont build with ones not avalible yet on the main save) but just never had a need on a primary career save. A ship stuck in orbit out of fuel just means its time to plan a rescue mission.

A few times:

• Forcing success on a couple of FinePrint satellite placement contracts that weren't completing due to a bug in FinePrint.
  • Used Whack-A-Kerbal when I accidentally connected a KW interstage by the node that doesn't decouple. The alternative
  • Part clipping in cases where the editor was incorrectly showing collisions on symmetry counterparts or when one of the intersecting parts is visibly hollow.

If it's an in-universe problem I'll look for an in-universe solution. In my current career, I sent a set of RemoteTech relays to the Mun without batteries. The built-in storage in the probe cores was enough to get into Mun orbit, but not enough to establish the final mission orbits and run the antennas. My Apollo 8 equivalent will attempt to rendezvous with the dead satellites and install batteries with KAS.

But if I'm only in trouble because it's a piece of software, I don't feel like it breaks the story I'm telling myself to fix those problems or limits in whatever way is most convenient.

Any time the problem is due to a game bug, I think it's reasonable to use any method at your disposal to fix it. For example, you go EVA and your guy teleports kilometers away moving really fast, it's okay to HyperEdit him back to near the ship so he can actually get back.

Also, I personally think biome maps should be part of the game, so now it's okay to turn them on when I want them.

I also in one career used whack-a-kerbal to destroy buildings before starting to give myself an extra challenge :)

Pretty often, but generally only to toggle the "enable clipping" flag. Not to cheat by stacking tons of parts onto a single node, though; it's to fix a bug in the game. I build spaceplanes to some pretty tight tolerances, and it's not uncommon to see the symmetry fail for no discernible reason. That is, I can attach a part to a node on one side of the craft. I could also attach that part to the corresponding node on the opposite side. But if I turn on symmetry and try to attach to either side, it'll fail because the game will say the mirror part can't be placed. Obviously, this should not happen, so I don't feel badly about disabling the clipping check long enough to place the parts.

Okay, I'll admit that I've also used Infinite Fuel once or twice, but not to do something I couldn't have done otherwise. The last time was when my mother called me in the middle of an interplanetary LV-N burn, and I forgot to pause the game. When I came back a half hour later, I'd seriously overshot my maneuver. I turned on Infinite Fuel long enough to undo that mistake, since my quicksave was a couple hours earlier.

The point is, you shouldn't be totally against using the debug menu, because there are plenty of ways it can be used without qualifying as "cheating". That's why it's a DEBUG menu. The same goes for reverts; it's one thing to undo a catastrophe you caused yourself, it's another when you're just using it as a substitute for a "simulator" (i.e. a sandbox save to test the basic viability of your designs).

Used it. I took a contract for testing parachute at high altitude with high speed. When I was there I wasn't able to open a chute because the rocket "moved too fast" for chute safe and when I've managed to overcome it... I've missed the desired altitude. So... I went to alt + F12 and completed the contract because I didn't wanted to redone mission because of the safety rule which was hard to overcome.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.