Disco Mun followed by a Crash

So I was taking a first trip to the Mun in 0.90 and man, have things changed! KSP crashed shortly after this picture was taken. I've got to say that this build has been way more buggy and crash prone than almost any build in the last 2 years. I love all of the hard work that has gone into improving it and am really hungry to get deeper into 0.90 but right now, I'm getting crashes in the middle of almost every mission.

http://i.imgur.com/z5QnMi7.jpg

z5QnMi7.jpg

KSP Version: build id = 00705, 2014-12-15_13-59-25, Branch: master, 32-bit

What happens: Mun textures all buggy followed by a crash

Mods / Add-Ons: All stock

System:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac14,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 24 GB

Boot ROM Version: IM142.0118.B07

SMC Version (system): 2.15f7

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB

PLAYER.LOG file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2sm0b3cgix6e8j/Disco_Mun_Player.log.zip?dl=0

Crash dump file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yby5dbom9d1n6nt/Disco_mun_console%20log.zip?dl=0

Happy to add any other info that might be helpful.

I'm pretty sure there's a mod that adds those triangles, are you absolutely sure this is an unmodded install?

Edit:

What in the seven shades of the hells is this?

KSP(4126,0xa036c1d4) malloc: *** mach_vm_map(size=1048576) failed (error code=3)

*** error: can't allocate region

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Receiving unhandled NULL exception

Obtained 38 stack frames.

Edited by sal_vager

Unless I got a DOA Macbook Pro one week ago, I don't think so.

What happened to me was the whole VAB scene replaced by a color gradient like those forming subdivision 0 of the Mun there. It was bizarre (and didn't get in a screenshot)

I'm pretty sure there's a mod that adds those triangles, are you absolutely sure this is an unmodded install?

Yep, absolutely sure it's unmodded. Steam updated to 0.90, played for a bit (only mod was mechjeb), crashed a few times, so I wiped all KSP files and did a fresh install with Steam. Haven't installed any mods since the fresh install.

From a little farther away, the Mun didn't have any triangles at all, it was a pure ball of color. Quite beautiful. Only when I got closer did the triangles start rendering.

I have had similar graphics issues on a totally stock install. Symptoms are psychedelic colors, often flashing, and dramatically reduced framerate. I first ran into it on a lightly modded install (posted here) but was subsequently able to reproduce it with no mods.

Pics:

TtPAaFA.jpg

O7eqpL4.jpg

DTuHGPd.jpg

Hardware: iMac 5k Retina Display, 4.0 GHz Intel i7, 32GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M295X with 4GB VRAM, OSX Yosemite 10.10.1, running at 3200x1800 resolution

Console log file here.

I have run into other graphics bugs on a different Mac, also fully stock, but the symptoms are slightly different so I will first research and then make a separate post as appropriate.

Edited by Yakky

Can you all please try disabling the PPFX edge highlighting shaders in KSP's settings? These sorts of things sprung up in testing occasionally on Mac and Linux; seems the display drivers on those platforms interacts badly with the shader for some reason.

Can you all please try disabling the PPFX edge highlighting shaders in KSP's settings? These sorts of things sprung up in testing occasionally on Mac and Linux; seems the display drivers on those platforms interacts badly with the shader for some reason.

I just tried disabling the PPFX highlighting and was still able to reproduce the bug. But on the positive side, I got a really cool psychedelic image of the startup screen:

CV5ReQW.jpg

FWIW here are my graphics settings:

s9WwjAi.jpg

Edited by Yakky

@Yakky:

Can you check whether you uploaded the complete Player.log? You reported some errors here that don't appear in the log, though you're not the first person to report it without related errors.

I've collected four logs of this issue so far, and I'll see if I can find any more. I remember a report of this issue as far back as May of this year. It's been called space disco, flashing colors, psycho colors, psychedelic colors, and clowny colors.

@Yakky:

Can you check whether you uploaded the complete Player.log? You reported some errors here that don't appear in the log, though you're not the first person to report it without related errors.

I've collected four logs of this issue so far, and I'll see if I can find any more. I remember a report of this issue as far back as May of this year. It's been called space disco, flashing colors, psycho colors, psychedelic colors, and clowny colors.

Looks like the old one may have been cut off for some reason. Try this one. It appears to contain the missing text.

Same thing is happening to me so it's unlikely that this is hardware related. This was occurring prior to 0.90 but only very infrequently. In 0.90 it happens almost 100% of the time after about 2-3 hours of play time. So, good news, it's easier to repro! :P

System specs:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6970M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16

I tried to recover by resetting the GPU state by changing the in-game visual settings but that lead to a crash with this callstack (note the gl* calls):

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x96d3d69e __pthread_kill + 10
1 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x96ddefd5 pthread_kill + 101
2 libsystem_c.dylib 0x99ddeefe abort + 156
3 libmono.0.dylib 0x01313222 mono_handle_native_sigsegv + 881
4 libmono.0.dylib 0x0134cb36 sigabrt_signal_handler + 99
5 libsystem_platform.dylib 0x9c2c303b _sigtramp + 43
6 ??? 0xffffffff 0 + 4294967295
7 libmono.0.dylib 0x0134cad3 sigusr1_signal_handler + 159
8 libsystem_c.dylib 0x99ddeefe abort + 156
9 libGPUSupportMercury.dylib 0x91c229c2 gpusGenerateCrashLog + 187
10 com.apple.AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver 0x501f39b1 gldCreateDevice + 750
11 libGPUSupportMercury.dylib 0x91c23fc6 gpusSubmitDataBuffers + 533
12 libGPUSupportMercury.dylib 0x91c23a85 gldCreateContext + 471
13 GLEngine 0x9077856e gliCreateContextWithShared + 716
14 GLEngine 0x9077829a gliCreateContext + 108
15 com.apple.opengl 0x9004eb73 CGLCreateContext + 1218
16 unity.Squad.Kerbal Space Program 0x0066fdd5 MakeNewContextGL(int, int, int, bool, bool, bool, DepthBufferFormat, int*, bool) + 453
17 unity.Squad.Kerbal Space Program 0x0066ff57 MakeNewContext(int, int, int, bool, bool, DepthBufferFormat, int*, bool) + 135
18 unity.Squad.Kerbal Space Program 0x006645e1 ScreenManagerOSXStandalone::SetResolutionImmediate(int, int, bool, int) + 337
19 unity.Squad.Kerbal Space Program 0x0026cd0e ScreenManager::SetRequestedResolution() + 78
20 unity.Squad.Kerbal Space Program 0x002fac96 PlayerLoop(bool, bool, IHookEvent*) + 2358
21 unity.Squad.Kerbal Space Program 0x00661e0c -[PlayerAppDelegate UpdatePlayer] + 252
22 com.apple.Foundation 0x9b28ed1f __NSFireTimer + 119
23 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x99fa5b06 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_TIMER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION__ + 22
24 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x99fa55b4 __CFRunLoopDoTimer + 1316
25 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x9a020fff __CFRunLoopDoTimers + 351
26 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x99f5e121 __CFRunLoopRun + 2081
27 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x99f5d696 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 390
28 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x99f5d4fb CFRunLoopRunInMode + 123
29 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x993d4178 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 262
30 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x993d3eb1 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 494
31 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x993d3cac _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 99
32 com.apple.AppKit 0x9416fd99 _DPSNextEvent + 734
33 com.apple.AppKit 0x9416f5e1 -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 186
34 com.apple.AppKit 0x94161dac -[NSApplication run] + 907
35 com.apple.AppKit 0x9414b310 NSApplicationMain + 2082
36 unity.Squad.Kerbal Space Program 0x00661b5b PlayerMain(int, char const**) + 731
37 unity.Squad.Kerbal Space Program 0x00002fb5 start + 53

Alright, let's dial settings down, then. Please switch off SM3 terrain shaders and Fallback Part Shaders.

It might be worth disabling antialiasing, as well.

I tried disabling SM3 shaders (fallback shaders were already disabled). Still ran into same problem. I am loathe to reduce antialiasing but in the name of debugging, I will give it a go next. :-)

BTW thanks for looking into this. I love playing KSP and hope to be able to start enjoying 0.90 the way it was meant to be played soon.

As suggested, with Active Texture Management (Aggressive) installed, I haven't run into the problem. I'd recommend it for anyone who is struggling with similar issues. For the Mac, you'll need the x86 - aggressive version. (https://github.com/rbray89/ActiveTextureManagement/releases/download/4-3/x86-Aggressive-Release.zip).

Merged with the existing thread. KSP 0.90 does use more RAM than previous versions – this seems to trip up Mac KSP more than other versions, but it's very manageable with this advice.

Is a 5 minute start up time normal with this fix? Im in 4:30 minutes so far and the KSP bar isn't even halfway yet!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.