[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

I'm waiting to see a comment from the dev about this. If he says that scanning at 50x timewarp is unreasonable for a map this detailed, I'll take it. At the moment, it could very well be a bug, not a feature.

That's absurd. I did that on Kerbin and left my computer running all night. By morning, at an ideal altitude, it still wasn't done scanning. 50x is pretty much a requirement. 100x would be nice if one's computer can handle it. I've experienced none of the crashing issues reported by others. I just think the time it takes is ridiculous.

I upped the scan resolution (to 500 I think? Higher didn't seem to offer any more benefit) and was able to map at 50x speed finally. Still seems to work better at warp than it does in realtime.

I really don't mean to spam, because I've asked this question twice already on the other two blog posts on the current dev build, but why is it that on this Mac I am currently using, the button to open up the GUI is not there? I've double checked all the folders and files are where they need to be.

I really don't mean to spam, because I've asked this question twice already on the other two blog posts on the current dev build, but why is it that on this Mac I am currently using, the button to open up the GUI is not there? I've double checked all the folders and files are where they need to be.

One thing that might be affecting folks is if you rename the directory under the GameData directory it won't work right... it has to be

GameData\Innsewerants Space Agency\Parts

GameData\Innsewerants Space Agency\Plugin

and so on.

I have the same issue others mention of it locking the game up hard when I start a flight. It doesn't happen 100% of the time and it may just be a free memory issue. I will run it on my test copy of KSP and see if that cures it and report back.

Apparently some of the load issues have been fixed by people disabling any network connectors that are not in use (so if you have vmware or bluetooth stack or a wireless and wired nic, go into control panel and disable the interfaces that are not in use). Not sure if it will help anyone with the stuttering/crashing/etc but worth a try.

Is the 4.0 dev build public? I can't find a link to it. Also, in 3.3.1, there are no buttons for opening the mapping thingies - I have the parts, but I can't use them. Have I installed it incorrectly?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it.

Edited by wasmic

That's absurd. I did that on Kerbin and left my computer running all night. By morning, at an ideal altitude, it still wasn't done scanning. 50x is pretty much a requirement. 100x would be nice if one's computer can handle it. I've experienced none of the crashing issues reported by others. I just think the time it takes is ridiculous.

Out of curiosity, I ran a test myself and got a full map of Kerbin in under 5 hours at 10x warp. That doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me.

Hey Innsewerants, I also posted this on your blog, and you might be aware of it, but your website is down. As such, it is impossible to download the 4.0 dev build.

I also have freezes, when i start flight, i have latest version of ksp and dev version isa.

I do as well. If anybody could help solve this problem would be much appreciated!

Same freezing issue here. Using the dev build mapsat along with the latest version of KSP (0.20.2.186) and have installed the parts in the GAMEDATA folder (as suggested in other comments), the plugin in the PLUGIN folder, and the plugindata into the PLUGINDATA folder. Even the simplest of ships with the mapsat seizes the game completely every time when going to launch, either from the VAB or going directly to the launch pad. Any suggestions?

Out of curiosity, I ran a test myself and got a full map of Kerbin in under 5 hours at 10x warp. That doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me.

Maybe not to you, but go try scanning a planet like Moho now and tell me how long that takes you. Faded maps don't count as a full map, because the faded areas still need to be scanned again and again.

In the old version of ISA, you could just fly at a lower altitude to deal with the otherwise lost resolution. This new version carries no such advantage--or rather, the advantage is minimal.

Maybe not to you, but go try scanning a planet like Moho now and tell me how long that takes you. Faded maps don't count as a full map, because the faded areas still need to be scanned again and again.

In the old version of ISA, you could just fly at a lower altitude to deal with the otherwise lost resolution. This new version carries no such advantage--or rather, the advantage is minimal.

Yeah I find this annoying. The scatter SHOULD become non-existant if you're close enough to the planet. The fact that the current version doesn't do this is extremely annoying. You may as well just scan at a high altitude and get it done in less time. Terrible design idea and should be removed.

It DOES take time to scan a planet. You gotta wait and wait and wait. And even WORSE is that you hafta have the scanning craft as the active craft the whole time. You can't be doing something else while your satellite(s) do their scanning.

I wanna be working with other spaceships while my fleet of MapSats scans and maps the surfaces of ALL the bodies in the Kerbol system. I don't want to sit here and watch every single one of them do the mapping. That is utterly tedious and un-needed. IMHO.

Heck .. I can't even run the dev version right now anyhow.

It DOES take time to scan a planet. You gotta wait and wait and wait. And even WORSE is that you hafta have the scanning craft as the active craft the whole time. You can't be doing something else while your satellite(s) do their scanning.

I wanna be working with other spaceships while my fleet of MapSats scans and maps the surfaces of ALL the bodies in the Kerbol system. I don't want to sit here and watch every single one of them do the mapping. That is utterly tedious and un-needed. IMHO.

Heck .. I can't even run the dev version right now anyhow.

It's a limitation of the game. Because it's a one-player, enjoy-it-how-you-like-it game, there's nothing stopping you from just popping a fully scanned map into the folder and using that, if it annoys you that much.

I like it so-far, well except the altitude changes, in fact, for now you gain MORE data by doing a 100km x 100km orbit with 500 scans on Minmus, then 2500(!) on a 20x20 orbit!

I have to say this is one of the essential mods for KSP. I put a MapSat dish on just about every ship I have, even a GPS unit on all of my rovers. It adds depth to the game (no pun intended), and comes in handy when paired with the Kethane mod.

That being said, I encourage Innsewerants to resolve the crashing issues of X4r1, which based on reading posts & my own experience seem to have to do with hitting a memory cap. Having a MapSat dish on about every ship means it crashes very often for me... I expect to any switch between 2 or 3 flights at most before a crash. However I realize this is a developer version of a mod for an alpha version of a game. I don't know if giving an option to toggle between scan resolutions (small/medium/large) would fix memory issues or not.

Instead of complaining about the crashing issues (not that complaints aren't valid), I instead say to Innsewerants keep up the good work, take your time to make it polished, and as always don't neglect RL. You've made a great mod, and I thought you should hear some encouragement.

Hi guys, this is my first post around here, I've been searching a lot for an answer but couldn't find you using Google and the forum search engine. Sorry if it's a repeated topic!

KSP 0.20.2

MapSat 3.3.4

During flight information is recorded and visible perfectly. I can return to Space Center and take another flight with GPS and Dish, or just with GPS and maps look great.

But, if i close the game and open it again -> Tracking Station -> Fly the MapSat -> No maps... It starts recording from scratch!!!

I looked into the console and this is the output:

[LOG 23:46:11.299] Mapsat Version: 3.3.4
[LOG 23:46:11.300] Mapsat OS: WindowsPlayer
[LOG 23:46:11.300] Mapsat ksp dir:Z:/KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../
[LOG 23:46:11.415] ISA MapSat: Finished loading gui assets
[ERR 23:46:13.481] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Kerbin_ISA_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.489] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Mun_ISA_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.498] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Minmus_ISA_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.506] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Moho_ISA_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.516] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Eve_ISA_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.524] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Duna_ISA_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.532] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Ike_ISA_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.540] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Laythe_ISA_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.548] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Vall_ISA_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.555] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Bop_ISA_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.563] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Tylo_ISA_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.571] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Gilly_ISA_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.579] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Pol_ISA_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.587] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Dres_ISA_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.594] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Eeloo_ISA_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.603] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Kerbin_Polars_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.611] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Mun_Polars_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.618] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Minmus_Polars_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.626] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Moho_Polars_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.635] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Eve_Polars_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.642] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Duna_Polars_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.650] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Ike_Polars_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.659] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Laythe_Polars_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.667] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Vall_Polars_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.676] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Bop_Polars_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.684] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Tylo_Polars_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.693] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Gilly_Polars_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.701] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Pol_Polars_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.710] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Dres_Polars_Topo.png
[ERR 23:46:13.719] You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
Couldn't open file /KSP_0.20.2/KSP_Data/../PluginData/isa_mapsat/gui_Eeloo_Polars_Topo.png

Can anyone help me understanding whats going wrong here and maybe a fix?

Thank you!

Ive got an unmanned probe in orbit around Kerbin with all required components I believe. I have the Satellite dish and the GPS on the probe, its got power, has antennas if it matters, but I have no idea how to open the map thingy. Right clicking the Sat dish does nothing. Right clicking the GPS does nothing. Help please?