Building Upgrading Request

Hello,

I find the research building too expensive for my tree. I am having to move some parts up to do missions to get more funds; $500,000 is way too much and I have a soultion.

In my tree my Science rates are 'non-linear' to gain nodes - 25-50-100-200 is linear...mine goes 25-50-100-250-500-1000 - I guess it is mostly linear and I need to go back and look.

The Science gains are fine and worked well in v25 I have plenty of Science but I have to move parts to get more missions to make more money.

I suppose I could use the stock tree to test mission structure as I see some early missions give a big advance like 1mil; so that also may be messed up but I am solving that by cutting funding in half.

A solution is to have '5' upgrades instead of '3' and cut the amounts for each appropriately as well as the node availabilities.

Maybe like (in 1000's) 100, 250, 500, 1mil, 5mil where 250k gets you into General Construction; I dont use mission extender either.

Then mission payouts should barely get you to each tier.

Probly using the stock tree is easy and yes you can cut science gathering but it wouldnt be linear.

The Career Tree should be a somewhat non-linear progression in my opinion not like 25-50-100-200-400-800...I will figure my tree out eventually but it would be nice to have a little more variability in building upgrades - 5 instead of 3 maybe.

Zeta

My first upgrade cost me 1,020,000 funds.... so I guess that must vary with difficulty setting. I agree it's a little too expensive, but it did force me to use some pretty interesting designs while I was saving up for it :D

Edited by armagheddonsgw
Edited to reflect the thread being moved to suggestions.

I don't understand the question. By the time I'd completed my first mission, 43 minutes into the game, I'd upgraded mission control, the tracking centre, launchpad and astronaut complex.

If you're using hard settings or mods and finding it too hard then, er, stop making it so hard for yourself ^^.

Apart from that, we already know there will be another, "level 0", of buildings - that's the starter one that looked like a US trailer-park and farm buildings but was not re-modelled in time for 0.90. Expect it in the next update.

I set my income gains down to just 30% and found it was still easily enough to build massive rockets, but far too little to upgrade the buildings. My guess is that the high cost of upgrades is supposed to help offset the high amounts of money you rake in during a game with normal settings.

I think the upgrade cost of buildings should be altered based on your payout rate. It still makes the rockets more expensive. Or perhaps there should be a slider in the custom options to adjust upgrade costs.

Hello,

My tree is such that it worked fine in V24 and V25 and such that it takes ALOT of Science to gain nodes and planning is important.

The missions seem to suggest a way to plan how to use the Science making my tree impossible to win if you just go willy nilly on nodes.

The problem is that the Science upgrade is way too expensive - 500,000 - for 'MY' Science Tree !

My tree stops on the set of 3 nodes going down vertically as opposed to the Stock Tree where it stops 2 or so tiers up further allowing more things to be tested.

I will look for the level 0 haha I read about that somewhere; that will be a game restart most likely.

Zeta

My tree is such ... making my tree impossible ... 500,000 - for 'MY' Science Tree ... My tree ...

And my point is that if you've made things too hard for yourself with settings or mods the solution is for you to stop making it so hard for yourself, not for Squad to change the game for everyone else.

That's not what linear means... Linear would be increasing y by the same number every time x goes up a set interval. You're not using it correctly.

Not even sure what exactly you mean by "linear" (what you must too the word for)

Assuming I understand what you're asking, the correct word here is "exponential" (it goes up by roughly a factor of 2 every time, though not exactly).

I agree that there needs to be a bit more granularity in the buildings, particularly the science building and the VAB's. I think 5-6 levels aught to be about right and priced a bit better.

I'm playing in normal mode and at this point have gotten to the level 3 buildings, and the recurring theme with the science building is that I max out the tech tree right up to the point of needing to upgrade and then once I do I have hundreds or thousands of points of science saved depending on the level of the sci building so I can clear out the tech tree again almost immediately.

I also find the first VAB and launch pad upgrades the most important as the 30 part 18t limits are very limiting. But beyond that I mainly updated to the L3 VAB/pad just because I had the funds. I suppose late game it makes more sense, but I never found myself to be cash strapped to buy those buildings to the L3 tier, just the science center.

Bill Phil: I think the current restrictions are about right for tier 0; tier 1 should be somewhere between that and tier 2... maybe for the launchpad move the current tier 2 up a little to say 200 tonnes; enough for quite a large rocket, but not enough for carrying seriously large payloads to orbit (e.g. some of the harder Mun bases required by contracts). Similarly for the other buildings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.