Kron series (Kron 6 end of mission) - temporary halt of program

lajoswinkler

Splashdown!

Maximum speed of reentry without braking was 5300.5 m/s, which simply does not work. Taurus HCV shield explodes and the capsule is gone at 50 km. The ship therefore had to brake.

Screenshots soon.

Edited by lajoswinkler

Yeah, a tie. Here's the screenshot showing the failed reentry with the maximum speed.

Kron 4 entering Kerbin sphere of influence.

52015D92527724F5DA23D6FA91D97528AC9CD7FC

All of the crew members were excited, but Valentina was making the largest grin of them all.

4137EB9D97D091296B550412A525E3D5637367BE

Spending a smaller part of the 6300 m/s (more or less) left in the tanks.

9E04B2DF7BA3FFAB241CD9F30123DEE14152DB3B

Jettisoning the propulsion unit, service, cryo and habitat module.

C6D2CCC5E0CC28E124BF7134F58145FE51750B53

Kron 4 started to disintegrate rather fast.

E426033DF1E31261991391F4896C09FAD2F2DA87

752321BAB77B9052441E7AC5340A85A6A97D1741

A final retro burn using the built-in monopropellant thrusters was used to try landing on the ground, but it did not work.

D94E474ECF33715E307ACEF871D2A8B6DF2A2072

For some reason the docking port also exploded, and the capsule fell in the ocean. There was simply too much speed involved.

875CA5B0CA06069161AE05D01C702706E2B4F9A3

Kerty deploying the kevlar parachutes.

80B41E502C7E827049C7D31E5AA6D56915840284

Kron 4 splashed down near the shore.

7FB3E18757DF44B8476C5FFF2F8437D524D84C3C

The crew is finally home after almost 13 years, waiting for rescue.

39FC573768CA3F7BF17E84B1733A1DF4E9DCF273

Congrats on the splashdown! A fitting end to a very long, spectacular mission!

Also, as it seems Ablate will be a little too hot to handle, why not do Ascension next? It's interesting, relatively difficult to reach, and the mission shouldn't take very long (at least not as long as Kron 3 or 4), hopefully filling the gap between now and when Niedon gets updated . . .

The low bet wins again!

So what's next? Ablate would be ludicrous, and Neidon isn't done yet. Maybe a larger colonization effort to Laythe or Eve?

I try to approach Kerbin from the side that would eventually remove some of my speed, so it's like a reverse gravitational slingshot. Every m/s counts.

Next mission is Ablate, but the technology (Heat Control 1.0.4) still does not exist. Also, I'm pretty much burned from the whole mission just like the Kron 4 now is. :D

It's time for making a sweet little station, throwing probes on inner planetary bodies, etc.

Go to Sentar, man!

I've been to Sentar a long time ago, when PF was released, and landed on all bodies. Other than the fact it's blue and has rings, which was a new and exciting thing back then, I don't find the system to be realistic. I consider it being an experiment in creativity. No plans exist for a Kron ship to visit that planet. Maybe someday, but I really have no plans for it.

That's why I've deleted it from the mod. I have Ablate, Ascension and Inaccessable left. If Ablate proves to be impossible with the current thermal model, I might try Ascension, the comet.

Not sure if it would help but DSEV has open-cycle cooling on its radiators. Maybe take a big tank of Coolant and use open cycle cooling. Perhaps adjust the dump rate too. For EVA, I could rig a radiator with optional open cycle cooling for the Outback backpack in Pathfinder. Then your kerbals could stay cool on the surface for awhile. :)

Edited by Angel-125

I try to approach Kerbin from the side that would eventually remove some of my speed, so it's like a reverse gravitational slingshot. Every m/s counts.

Next mission is Ablate, but the technology (Heat Control 1.0.4) still does not exist. Also, I'm pretty much burned from the whole mission just like the Kron 4 now is. :D

It's time for making a sweet little station, throwing probes on inner planetary bodies, etc.

I've been to Sentar a long time ago, when PF was released, and landed on all bodies. Other than the fact it's blue and has rings, which was a new and exciting thing back then, I don't find the system to be realistic. I consider it being an experiment in creativity. No plans exist for a Kron ship to visit that planet. Maybe someday, but I really have no plans for it.

That's why I've deleted it from the mod. I have Ablate, Ascension and Inaccessable left. If Ablate proves to be impossible with the current thermal model, I might try Ascension, the comet.

HeatControl was updated!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.