[1.3.0] Filter Extensions 3.0.4 (Jul 11)

Crzyrndm

Where did all the icons for the mods come from? Crzyrndm make them or were they taken from the individual mods?

I know KaiserSoze has made a bunch of them. Some were based on the icons made for the old Part Catalog mod, others from manufacturer flags (e.g. JSI).

Pre-.90, there was mod called PartArranger that allowed you to reorganize parts within the old tabs while in the editors. It would save any changes to a text file and then load the parts lists off that.

At one point I was working on a UI to manage categories but I didn't really have much motivation for it so it never got particularly far. If someone wanted to make that UI using FE as the back end/framework, the plugin is set up to allow that to happen but I don't have the motivation to do that myself anymore.

AFAIK, no one has yet successfully modified the sorting methods inside the categories themselves. There is only a workaround (renaming parts to group them by name) to get parts ordered in a reasonable fashion.

Where did all the icons for the mods come from? Crzyrndm make them or were they taken from the individual mods?
I know KaiserSoze has made a bunch of them. Some were based on the icons made for the old Part Catalog mod, others from manufacturer flags (e.g. JSI).

Majority of the icons are from KaiserSoze who has adapted them to an appropriate format from a variety of other sources (Black Necro's Part Catalog mod and manufacturers flags for mods, ARP icons (TriggerAu's and Olympic1's) for resources, his own work/other sources for misc icons). My work is entirely limited to the plugin and the configs.

Edited by Crzyrndm

I've been working on replacing the Filter by Cross-Section subcategories to support e.g. SpaceY's size 4 parts (with an icon and everything), the way that we replace the Filter by Function and Filter by Resource subcategories, but my attempt (which I'm mostly sure is correct) has not met with success. The categories get scrambled pretty badly, and I see a NullReferenceException in the log:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at FilterExtensions.Utility.PartType.checkBulkHeadProfiles (.AvailablePart part, System.String value, Boolean contains) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I think that the problem is that not all parts have a "bulkheadProfiles" variable set, so we may need a null check in there. There might also have to be some "intelligence" as well in that case; e.g. if a part has no stack nodes, it's a surface attach part, and if it has a size X node, it's a size X part.

CATEGORY
{
name = Filter by Cross-Section Profile
type = stock
value = replace

SUBCATEGORIES
{
list = 0,Mk 2
list = 1,Mk 3
//Can easily be extended to Nertea's Mark IV, OPT's J and K, whatever B9 has...
list = 2,Size 00 [0.35 m]
list = 3,Size 0 [0.625 m]
list = 4,Size 1 [1.25 m]
list = 5,Size 1.5 [1.875 m]
list = 6,Size 2 [2.5 m]
list = 7,Size 3 [3.75 m]
list = 8,Size 4 [5 m]
list = 9,Surface Attach
}
}

SUBCATEGORY
{
category = Filter by Cross-Section Profile
name = Mk 2
icon = cs_mk2

FILTER
{
CHECK
{
type = profile
value = mk2
}
}
}
SUBCATEGORY
{
name = Mk 3
icon = cs_mk3

FILTER
{
CHECK
{
type = profile
value = mk3
}
}
}
SUBCATEGORY
{
name = Size 00 [0.35 m]
icon = cs_size00

FILTER
{
CHECK
{
type = profile
value = size00
}
}
}
SUBCATEGORY
{
name = Size 0 [0.625 m]
icon = cs_size0

FILTER
{
CHECK
{
type = profile
value = size0
}
}
}
SUBCATEGORY
{
name = Size 1 [1.25 m]
icon = cs_size1

FILTER
{
CHECK
{
type = profile
value = size1
}
}
}
SUBCATEGORY
{
name = Size 1.5 [1.875 m]
icon = cs_size1

FILTER
{
CHECK
{
type = profile
value = size1p5
}
}
}
SUBCATEGORY
{
name = Size 2 [2.5 m]
icon = cs_size2

FILTER
{
CHECK
{
type = profile
value = size2
}
}
}
SUBCATEGORY
{
name = Size 3 [3.75 m]
icon = cs_size3

FILTER
{
CHECK
{
type = profile
value = size3
}
}
}
SUBCATEGORY
{
name = Size 4 [5 m]
icon = cs_size4

FILTER
{
CHECK
{
type = profile
value = size4
}
}
}
SUBCATEGORY
{
name = Surface Attach
icon = cs_surface

FILTER
{
CHECK
{
type = profile
value = srf
}
}
}

other than these lines in the SUBCATEGORY nodes

which no longer do anything, the config seems fine (although, doesn't stock already create these categories in which case all you need to do is change the icons?)

I'll get the nullref cleaned up shortly

Edited by Crzyrndm

other than these lines in the SUBCATEGORIES

which no longer do anything, the config seems fine (although, doesn't stock already create these categories in which case all you need to do is change the icons?)

I want to add a few new ones, and figured that I might have to recreate all of them. When the nullref fix is out, I'll try just making the new ones and see how that goes.

(The "category = X" lines are there because I happened to base my config off of Categories_FilterbyResource, which I see only got its "category = X" entries pruned since the last release.)

Version 2.1.2

• More mod and resource icons from KaiserSoze
  • Fixed nullref in profile check (if no profile is defined by a part, it defaults to srf type)

When the nullref fix is out, I'll try just making the new ones and see how that goes.

If you don't have the "value = replace" line, new categories just get appended to the stock ones. The downside there is that there is no control over the order that things turn up

Edited by Crzyrndm

If you don't have the "value = replace" line, new categories just get appended to the stock ones. The downside there is that there is no control over the order that things turn up

Thanks for the quick update!

I'm looking to add a "Size 00" before Size 0 (for 0.35m stuff, like Sounding Rockets) and a Size 4 at the end, so I'll have to replace everything. I guess this means that some parts which shouldn't will get stuffed into the "surface" category, but we can encourage more people to add bulkhead profiles to their parts going forward.

Edit: IT WORKS!

fz2OlbH.png

I'm going to contribute bulkheadProfiles to whatever mods I know that need them, and then I'll push my config and the new icons to the repo.

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra

I guess this means that some parts which shouldn't will get stuffed into the "surface" category, but we can encourage more people to add bulkhead profiles to their parts going forward.

It was either that or they wouldn't be assigned to any profile. In this case I feel that placing them incorrectly and having the errors be noticed is the better choice than just hiding the afflicted parts (I believe stock does something similar)

At one point I was working on a UI to manage categories but I didn't really have much motivation for it so it never got particularly far. If someone wanted to make that UI using FE as the back end/framework, the plugin is set up to allow that to happen but I don't have the motivation to do that myself anymore.

AFAIK, no one has yet successfully modified the sorting methods inside the categories themselves. There is only a workaround (renaming parts to group them by name) to get parts ordered in a reasonable fashion.

Thanks for the quick feedback! Though it sounds like it'll be back to renaming parts in the cfg and the like in order to sort things more specifically.

Thanks for the quick update!

I'm looking to add a "Size 00" before Size 0 (for 0.35m stuff, like Sounding Rockets) and a Size 4 at the end, so I'll have to replace everything. I guess this means that some parts which shouldn't will get stuffed into the "surface" category, but we can encourage more people to add bulkhead profiles to their parts going forward.

Edit: IT WORKS!

http://i.imgur.com/fz2OlbH.png

I'm going to contribute bulkheadProfiles to whatever mods I know that need them, and then I'll push my config and the new icons to the repo.

Looks great!

Yes, as you have been told I've created a lot of the icon used in this mod. To be honest in many cases I just make modification to existing icon of the defunct partcatalog, or icons in the alternate resource or for the own mod. In other cases icon were purely created by me. Quality is...diverse. It depends a lot if I had something to start with or if depends enterily to me.

Original ones are by far the worse ones, specially the old ones since at the beggining I just wanted a few icons for personal use and did'nt care much about quality. Later I was just lazy to make modification and improve them. I mainly work on this while I wait for my mods to be updated :P

Edited by KaiserSoze

I'm looking for a way to add a subcategory with specific parts in it

SUBCATEGORY
{
name = PreCooler
icon = EngineJet
FILTER
{
CHECK
{
type = name
value = radialEngineBody,nacelleBody
}
}
}

I added the PreCooler to the list like all others subcategories, but it is never shown. They are altered stock parts, perhaps they remain hidden for this reason. Anyway to override this?

How to make this work? more specifically, how to filter on specific parts even if they are stock?

Edited by FreeThinker

The only reason they would get blocked was if they were set to "category = none" in their respective part configs. Block them from the subcategory if you don't want them to display instead of changing the part category.

Remove this section from the KIS.cfg at FilterExtensions/Configs/Patches to keep them in Utility

@SUBCATEGORY[Utility]:FOR[FilterExtension]
{
@FILTER,0
{
CHECK
{
type = moduleName
value = ModuleKISItem
invert = true
}
}
}

The missing parts should be showing up in the category KIS creates even without changing this

Remove this section from the KIS.cfg at FilterExtensions/Configs/Patches to keep them in Utility

@SUBCATEGORY[Utility]:FOR[FilterExtension]
{
@FILTER,0
{
CHECK
{
type = moduleName
value = ModuleKISItem
invert = true
}
}
}

The missing parts should be showing up in the category KIS creates even without changing this

Definitely was not showing up 79L8Cpf.jpg

But doing as you said makes them show in utilities now so thanks AGAIN lol

Definitely was not showing up
I came here to ask if it was normal that the bit 2.5m IMC-250 container wouldn't show in the normal categories... got my answer

Looks like I misread the KIS subcategory conditions. I will get that fixed (E: or apparently KIS just went and changed the filtering method entirely...)

Edited by Crzyrndm

Someone on my SpaceY thread mentioned that they managed to get a Filter Extensions config set up to add an icon for a "size 4" bulkhead profile (which SpaceY uses, but of course stock doesn't have an icon for this, so we get a question-mark icon). Is there a config setup I can add to SpaceY to set this bulkhead profile icon, or is it something that Filter Extensions might get by default in the future?

Also, I see that MRS is already supported, but not SpaceY or FTP. Should I look to add configs for these to the mods themselves, or should I submit icons etc here to add them to FE? I'm up for whatever makes the most sense. :)

Someone on my SpaceY thread mentioned that they managed to get a Filter Extensions config set up to add an icon for a "size 4" bulkhead profile (which SpaceY uses, but of course stock doesn't have an icon for this, so we get a question-mark icon). Is there a config setup I can add to SpaceY to set this bulkhead profile icon, or is it something that Filter Extensions might get by default in the future?

Also, I see that MRS is already supported, but not SpaceY or FTP. Should I look to add configs for these to the mods themselves, or should I submit icons etc here to add them to FE? I'm up for whatever makes the most sense. :)

I'm working on a config which will contain several custom cross-sections (and custom icons as well), and I intend to make a pull request to Crzyrndm when it's done, so it will hopefully become a default in the near future. (If your mod were the only one affected, I'd have pushed already, but I'm waiting on some pull requests to others to go through.) Having "bulkheadProfiles = size4", as you already do, will ensure your parts get put in the right place.

For the mod folder icons, if you choose to make icons yourself, make sure that they're 32x32 pixels, and called e.g. "SpaceY-Lifters.png" and "SpaceY-Lifters_selected.png" -- matching the name of the folder. Conventionally, the non-selected one is in greyscale or black, and the selected one is in color, but that's up to you. They should also live in an "Icons" or "SimpleIcons" folder -- that will make them available to be loaded in the editor, and Filter Extensions will see the name and do the rest (no config files necessary).

Unless you're going to make use of these icons for other reasons than as the manufacturer logo for FilterExtensions users, it might be easier to submit them here.