[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Yeah i can't see them in game but see them in the config. Your altitude values are minus numbers though, and 3 Astronomer's Auroras.cfg aren't. Could this be the reason?

EDIT - I tried removing a few of the minus from the numbers, still can't see anything.

The planets are smaller than their templates, you need minus numbers or they will look very strange even at 0. If you can't see them, can you see the clouds? I still don't understand what is going on. Have you tried only using the mods that I said a few posts above?

The planets are smaller than their templates, you need minus numbers or they will look very strange even at 0. If you can't see them, can you see the clouds? I still don't understand what is going on. Have you tried only using the mods that I said a few posts above?

I'll try a stock install, with or without outer planets?

edit - Stock seems to be a pain in the arse to get working. Keeps crashing on startup, this is just with EVE and AVP, no active memory mangement.

Edited by Aegrim

No plans for dwarf planets like that. We're currently focusing on finishing the new gas giants and their moons. Once that's done we'll try to make existing dwarf planet Plock more interesting (can't wait what New Horizons will show us). Stock Eeloo is already barely visited by people, so making a dwarf planet like Eris or even crazier Sedna (Streetwind makes an excellent point why its orbit is undoable for KSP gameplay) would a lot of work for little return. After that I'd rather do something like a 67P-like comet. That's a much more doable goal for most players and is also more interesting than Eris or Sedna (which have little of interest aside from their orbit).

The Sedna analog would only have an orbit reaching about 100 x the Kerbin-Kerbol distance.

And would it be OK if I made an expansion that added Eris and Sedna analogues for this mod? (Give a link to it though)

Edited by _Augustus_

Once that's done we'll try to make existing dwarf planet Plock more interesting (can't wait what New Horizons will show us).

I hope you can make Plock a bit more interesting (like not an exact vall copy) since New Horizons isn't expected to arrive until June/July. Maybe just change the PQS a bit but keep the vall texture? Just to make it different. :)

The Sedna analog would only have an orbit reaching about 100 x the Kerbin-Kerbol distance.

And would it be OK if I made an expansion that added Eris and Sedna analogues for this mod? (Give a link to it though)

I think your underestimating how far 100 KAU is in-game. I did a quick calculation and a Hohmann transfer that far would take 179 years. But yeah sure, go ahead. Might be a good idea to make it so that it's fully playable standalone. I imagine there are people out there who'd want dwarf planets like that without OPM.

I hope you can make Plock a bit more interesting (like not an exact vall copy) since New Horizons isn't expected to arrive until June/July. Maybe just change the PQS a bit but keep the vall texture? Just to make it different. :)

I'll see what I can do.

Edited by CaptRobau

Let's not get ahead of ourselves! We still have another moon of Sarnus to go let alone the moons of remaining gas giants :P

I think your underestimating how far 100 KAU is in-game. I did a quick calculation and a Hohmann transfer that far would take 179 years. But yeah sure, go ahead. Might be a good idea to make it so that it's fully playable standalone. I imagine there are people out there who'd want dwarf planets like that without OPM.

That sounds good, I would love the idea of playing around with a planet like that but wouldn't really want it included in this mod.

It's apoapsis would be around the orbit of Toliman.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves! We still have another moon of Sarnus to go let alone the moons of remaining gas giants :P

That sounds good, I would love the idea of playing around with a planet like that but wouldn't really want it included in this mod.

Thx

I seem to have a bug, whenever I leave Kerbin SOI, the entire screen goes black until KSP is completely restarted. Uninstalled Outer Planets and the problem goes away, but reinstalled and it's back. Is this a known issue? KSP doesnt appear to be generating a crash report, but the KSP log file is spamming:

[ERR 19:43:08.494] Invalid parameter because it was infinity or nan.

[ERR 19:43:08.494] dest.radius>=0.0f

[ERR 19:43:08.495] dest.radius>=0.0f

KSP 0.90, Open GL flag, many mods running (ATM, B9, FAR, Karbonite, KAS, mechjeb, Remotetech, scansat, several parts packs).

Could be ATM, but I have yet to check it myself to see for incompatibility so I can't say for sure. Have you checked the known issues/incompatible mods in the OP of this thread? Might be a mod you didn't mention that's on there.

I've tried to send a probe to Sarnus, Galileo style.

Unless it's Deadly Reentry's fault, Outer Planets Mod doesn't work out the atmosphere correctly. It's like immediately hitting the lowest parts of Kerbin's atmosphere. Decceleration is intense. From over 6000 m/s to 50 in few seconds. You're left with a spinning probe descending at an ever slowing speed. The atmosphere is not around you like at Jool, and you can never reach the bottom. I don't know what's the limit of the function which describes descent in this case. It might be zero, but you'd need eternity to reach it. I waited at 4x timewarp for almost half an hour and reached 12 m/s descent only to get into area of very low atmospheric pressure. The probe spins like mad.

I've tried to make a flyby of Ovok and land a tiny lander on Hale. It's impossible to enter SOI of both bodies so you smack into their surfaces without knowing what is happening. Surface becomes invisible close enough.

If you eyeball it and you approach the surface slowly, you glide through it and all of the sudden you realize the probe is inside the satellite.

I don't think this is my fault. I don't use any visual enhancement plugins/mods anymore, except for Planetshine and Distant Object, both of which have nothing to do with rendering of the physical surfaces and SOI.

Firstly: Amazing screenshot!

I've tried to make a flyby of Ovok and land a tiny lander on Hale. It's impossible to enter SOI of both bodies so you smack into their surfaces without knowing what is happening. Surface becomes invisible close enough.

If you eyeball it and you approach the surface slowly, you glide through it and all of the sudden you realize the probe is inside the satellite.

I don't think this is my fault. I don't use any visual enhancement plugins/mods anymore, except for Planetshine and Distant Object, both of which have nothing to do with rendering of the physical surfaces and SOI.

Does this problem always occur? (after a restart, does it keep happening?)

I need your help with fixing a bug I found in the http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/107873-0-90-Kerbol-Minor-Bodies-%281-2%29]Kerbal Minor Bodies mod while I was re-coding it to work with Outer Planets. When planets are rendered in orbital mode and map mode they present with their day-night terminator offset from the real sun. Thus far Nicholander has not found a fix, and my mucking around with the code hasn't either. Any information on what to do to prevent this issue would be greatly appreciated.

TmU1l5p.jpg

For unknown reason, I've managed to enter Hale's SOI and then successfully landed a probe with a tethered hook.

346FBB364EF1B51470A933C6967A4828013D3D89

CFFE28FE01032CB3C38BA8ED8212CFA270B62821

7E73E838DE1526C2E2F45D20095FB34258302BAE

The probe which delivered this lander later tried to rendezvous with Ovok, but same problem happened which resulted in, again, a NaN Kraken attack. So far Ovok brought me nothing but misery. :D

@lajoswinkler

Anecdotal Evidence: I've found that at times, the PQS system will not load correctly when the game is running near its RAM capacity. I have had the issue you described in the stock game where Kerbin's PQS would not render upon return from a Duna trip. I find that reloading the game generally helps if this issue ever arises.

Unless it's Deadly Reentry's fault, Outer Planets Mod doesn't work out the atmosphere correctly. It's like immediately hitting the lowest parts of Kerbin's atmosphere. Decceleration is intense. From over 6000 m/s to 50 in few seconds. You're left with a spinning probe descending at an ever slowing speed. The atmosphere is not around you like at Jool, and you can never reach the bottom. I don't know what's the limit of the function which describes descent in this case. It might be zero, but you'd need eternity to reach it. I waited at 4x timewarp for almost half an hour and reached 12 m/s descent only to get into area of very low atmospheric pressure. The probe spins like mad.

Thats unfortunate, since aerobraking makes the transfers soo much easier to do, especially in upscaled versions :/

I need your help with fixing a bug I found in the http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/107873-0-90-Kerbol-Minor-Bodies-%281-2%29]Kerbal Minor Bodies mod while I was re-coding it to work with Outer Planets. When planets are rendered in orbital mode and map mode they present with their day-night terminator offset from the real sun. Thus far Nicholander has not found a fix, and my mucking around with the code hasn't either. Any information on what to do to prevent this issue would be greatly appreciated.

http://i.imgur.com/TmU1l5p.jpg

I have no idea either, as it happens with OPM too. I remember reading somewhere that _Augustus_ knew more, but I'm not sure. Couldn't hurt to ask him right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.