[1.0.2] B9 Aerospace | Procedural Parts 0.40 | Updated 09.06.15

bac9

Center of Mass is not moving in a manner I would consider correct when it comes to the edges either (it doesn't move forward/back at all). This is very wierd

Yep - and going on the tooltip which is a literal dump of aero data the MAC is updating fine, or at least FAR is saying it is. I thought it might be a bug with the CoL indicator itself but it seems a bit too reproducable for that. Time to trace through FAR I think.

Also time I set up a dev code environment :S.

Considering how the CoP moves, I'm wondering if the position FAR sees the trailing edge of the wing at is the back edge of the main/core wing section (so extending the trailing edge is moving the entire wing forward). I don't have a clue how to check that though, nvm fix it (EDIT: actually I may have a way to check that experimentally)

EDIT

Matching CoP positions with a stock board

1x4 PWing with 1m trailing edge

2x4 (approx.) stock wing

3x4 Pwing with 1m trailing edge

4x4 (approx.) stock wing

Edited by Crzyrndm

Nice to see some progress of this awesome mod... I don't know if it is possible, but it would be very cool to have the colour stuff for the other B9 parts, too. The non plus ultra would be a patchable module for parts in general.

One issue I've with the last dev version from Crzyrndms fork is, that I cannot access the "j"-menu?!?! I've replaced the .dll only.

Edited by funk

Hello! First of all wanted to say as an airplane aficionado, i really appreciate this pack. It's been amazing help to create more or less accurate replicas of IRL aircraft.

I recently made a replica of the F/A-18 Hornet. Sweet looking and maneuverable, this thing has been a blast to fly.

http://i.imgur.com/cyiiMCI.png

With an exception. I'm not very savvy with aerodynamics, but the outer section of the main wing (as you can see in the image, it's broken up into two sections, the outer one holds both control surfaces) has a very small stalling angle. Like, it will stall at angles of attack as small as 10 degrees. Those flaps will also stall at no less than 15 degrees of deflection. Is this a problem with how I shaped the wings, or the leading/trailing edges? Or is it a bug? I hope someone can shed some light into the situation.

Best Regards, Energycore

Mods used:

FAR, B9 Aerospace, B9 Procedural Parts.

The biggest thing with flaps is that you have to have them come down to the right angle. 21deg is pretty steep but that would be FULL landing flaps. But the Hornet also has leading edge slats which come out when the flaps are deployed to help offset the stalling of the flaps.

Leadingedgeextensions_annotated.svg

And lastly the Hornets intakes are under the wings.

One issue I've with the last dev version from Crzyrndms fork is, that I cannot access the "j"-menu?!?! I've replaced the .dll only.

Logs please. I've not seen this one before. The only culprit I can think of is having two .dll's present (effects unknown, haven't exactly tested that)

EDIT

Stock CoL position now matches the geometry of the main wing (sweep, edges, and wing tip/root ratio had no effect on the position previously). NOTE: this also means they can create anhedral/dihedral stability effects properly in stock, and will probably increase wing flex (Lift force is no longer being exerted at wing root).

Edited by Crzyrndm

Thanks to a tip from ferram4, this is now "working as expected" (the numbers are a bit fudged at the moment so it isn't perfect but things atleast move in the correct direction ;))

NOTE

This can have a serious impact on stability of existing craft. You may want to deorbit any existing designs before changing, and double check stability of existing design afterwards

Edited by Crzyrndm

Hello

Is there any means to have on a wing outer ailerons working at slow speed (let say subsonic or even less that mach O.5) and inner aileron working at high speed ?

The reason is that at high sped you need less effect and then less effort on your ailerons to do the job. That's what you get on most liners.

I can't find any means in the SPH or with action group to stop my outer ailerons from working at high speed.

Thank's

That's what I see. If FAR takes in account pressure du to high speed on flight controls, this option should be enable, because on high speed and/or high altitude, you need very small input on flight controls for the same change in pitch or roll compared to the input you would need at low speed. If your input at high speed is the same you would enter at low speed, the result should be a very big change in pitch and roll, and it could even lead to a dynamic stall or broken control surface...So the torque is lower when you use inner and smaller ailerons at high speed.

Hue/Saturation/Brightness control the colour (should be right under opacity if this image from the OP still applies)

That's what I see. If FAR takes in account pressure du to high speed on flight controls, this option should be enable, because on high speed and/or high altitude, you need very small input on flight controls for the same change in pitch or roll compared to the input you would need at low speed. If your input at high speed is the same you would enter at low speed, the result should be a very big change in pitch and roll, and it could even lead to a dynamic stall or broken control surface...So the torque is lower when you use inner and smaller ailerons at high speed.

FAR has a control assistant labelled as DCA for this purpose (reducing control input when dynamic pressure is high). Your only other option is fine control (caps lock)

Thanks for replies

I guess DCA is fully automatic, no interaction possible?

It has a gain and reference altitude to tweak how much it reduces inputs, but I don't use it so I have no idea how those work (once active it just applies a multiplier to all control inputs, nothing more)

Changing the response of individual control surfaces according to speed and altitude sounds like an interesting mod to make though...

Fork updated

• (Probably) Fixed a major error of unknown cause first reported by Hodo here
  • Reduced minimum size limits on several parameters to 1 increment (and tip width can now go all the way to zero)
  • Enforced size limits on inheritance to prevent absurdities
  • Updated all inheritance logic for improved results (shape matching now adjusts length if it can't otherwise match within it's limits (except for thickness), edge and thickness matching follows parent slope, ...)
  • Shape matching now also calls width and edge matching when using left click. NOTE: If this is not a good change, I can easily shift this to be the alternate behaviour. I normally use all three together though, so it makes sense to me.

SgWwICl.pngWhat's worse is that you can keep inheriting off these...

Edited by Crzyrndm

I'd hate to ask the obvious, but it is safe to assume that this add on requires B9 already be installed? I didn't see anything in the OP or in subsequent pages stating it is required.

I use this addon without the rest of B9, so it's not required.

Fork updated

• Compatibility with FAR dev branch
  • Added right click fine control to sliders. Left click behaves the same as it always did, right click is now a free sliding modifier from -50% to +49.9% of a single increment. The button increments are also scaled down when right clicked
  • Changed inheritance "width" to "base". Matches the parent tip to the base of the child part but makes no other changes

Edited by Crzyrndm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.