Coming back again and need recommended mods you'd say you won't live without it now

InF3RNo

Hello, last time I was playing I was using some robotic hands to try place some bases in space. But without a mining plan, game lacks the excitement it can have.

So, I heard about kerbonite and kethane, I heard also that kethane isn't updated for this beta now.

And putting the mods in curse in order to most downloaded, and of course MechJeb is 1st option I'd look into, as I was in a conversation about the use and against the use of this. And I ended up using it because thought that real astronauts use some automatic options to fly, not everything manual.

So my question is, what mods are you currently using to squeeze all the fun of the game at the moment?

Regards,

InF3RNo.

Right now I have:

Kerbal Engineer Redux,

Kerbal Alarm Clock,

Transfer Window Planner (not necessary, but it integrates nicely with KAC - same dev),

StageRecovery,

In-Flight Waypoints,

Stock Bug Fix Modules (Claw's "mod" - it's stickied at the top of addon releases),

Procedural Dynamics (aka pWing, for cutting down on wing pieces in bigger spaceplanes).

Right now I'm aiming for a "mostly stock" career game though - I'll probably add things like karbonite and do it all over again when I've done everything :D (perhaps not on hard this time... 6 mil for R&D tier 3 is starting to get boring as hell)

I would like to play career or science career but not on hard or so since the science output is lower, nor in easy or 1000% science, that would be nearly sandbox mode hehe.

I would like to establish self sufficent bases in moons and planets is possible. Is that even possible now in KSP?

I would like to establish self sufficent bases in moons and planets is possible. Is that even possible now in KSP?

Not in stock, sadly. You can certainly do that with mods like Karbonite (note, it's not Kerbonite though I suppose that may have been a name idea :P) and I think some of the life support mods let you create the various resources on-site. We might see self-sufficient bases in 0.91 though - they're apparently adding "deep space refuelling", whatever that means.

Some mods to start with for what you desire to achieve:

USI aka mks/oks

Karbonite

Tac life support

and to add some difficulty:

Far

Deadly reentry

I use and could recommend another 30 mods or so but that would be a good start imo.

FAR and DRE are the most essential mods. I no longer enjoy playing KSP without them. I also don't consider them realism mods but bug fixes.

MechJeb and Docking Port Alignment Indicator improve the quality of life significantly. KAC could also be nice, but I'm too lazy to install it.

FAR and DRE are the most essential mods.

I tried DRE in 0.25... to be honest, the heating effect seemed somewhat pointless unless you were being absurdly reckless with your reentry, particularly since most parts could take almost as much heat if not more than the heat shields. It was fun though trying (and failing miserably) to slam into Jool's atmosphere at 30km/s and live to tell the tale :D

Of course, saying that I didn't have FAR as well; perhaps that changes things considerably :D

The mods I can live without: Chatter, Distant object mod, Ambient light mod, navyfishs docking mod, KAC, and astronomers pack. I use other mods, KAS and KER, but I could manage without them as I learned to play without them. I would say that Hot Rockets (every time I write this I do it in the hot pockets song LOL) would be nearing the list as well, it just makes the engines have some nice effects IMHO.

I tried DRE in 0.25... to be honest, the heating effect seemed somewhat pointless unless you were being absurdly reckless with your reentry

Try the current DRE which has now its own difficulty setting. Getting a spaceplane down without melting is pretty damn hard now if you use FAR.

For me, the mods I cant live without are KAS (especially KAS), Snacks, & Scansat. They add a lot to the game without being too overbearing (for me). Kethane was fun but seems it was never updated to 0.90 so I'm giving karbonite a run. I'm more of a casual gamer nowadays.

Now for the controversial stuff... evilkerbal.gif

Mechjeb to automate going into orbit. I know how to get into orbits, matching planes, etc. It gets tedious. Hyperedit to "simulate" how my vehicles will perform. I always revert or load quicksave after 'simulation'.

In addition to the usual suspects already mentioned...

ModuleManager! I cannot live without it. And neither can anyone else in this thread, even if they don't realize it, because it comes bundled with so many mods these days that everyone has it without thinking about it :P

More suggestions:

RLA Stockalike, because small rocket parts ho!

Anything Nertea puts out is worth a look

TechManager with Community Tech Tree or Mod Oriented Tech Tree - or make your own!

Kerbal Construction Time is a mod that I never knew I needed until I tried it out.

DMagic Orbital Science and Station Science greatly expand your opportunities to perform experiments, and give space stations a purpose.

ScienceAlert makes a toolbar icon light up whenever there's science available that you haven't collected yet. Again, you don't realize how much you always needed this until you try it.

I could go on like this for hours, honestly, but this will do for now. :)

EDIT: Yes, some of these are not updated... but they're worth stalking until they update anyway!

Edited by Streetwind

I remember there was something like a mod that let you launch ships from another planets or moons you've visited and installed some buildings, is that mod updated to this version and if so what was the name?

I'll give a try to each mod you commented to see what I'd like.

Extraplanetary Launchpads has some of the functionality one you're looking for. At least it lets you build and launch ships from any place you manage to lug a construction workshop to.

It's generally tied to Kethane, but there is a conversion pack available that makes it work with Karbonite instead.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.