Best and the worst game of the past 2014

mordin86

I know it's sliding off topic a bit here but on the Civ 4 Vs. Civ 5 topic, I'd definitely go with 4

The one unit per tile really bugs me, sure it gets around the stacks of doom problem but it seems like an extreme solution

Civ 4 with the Caveman 2 Cosmos mod allows the player to set the maximum number of units per tile.

but be warned it will take many months to play through a C2C campaign to the late game as it starts in prehistoric times and ends after the trans humanist singularity.

I know it's sliding off topic a bit here but on the Civ 4 Vs. Civ 5 topic, I'd definitely go with 4

The one unit per tile really bugs me, sure it gets around the stacks of doom problem but it seems like an extreme solution

Civ 4 with the Caveman 2 Cosmos mod allows the player to set the maximum number of units per tile.

but be warned it will take many months to play through a C2C campaign to the late game as it starts in prehistoric times and ends after the trans humanist singularity.

Yeah, the best solution is probably a limited amount of units per hex.

//good news! I found my copy of Civ IV, it was in front of me the whole time!

For me, the best games I bought that came out in 2014:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengance

Ultra Street Fighter 4

South Park: The Stick Of Truth

USF4 is the only one I paid full price for. (Well I bought SSF4:AE for €5 and pre-ordered the upgrade.) Every other game I bought this year was released prior to 2014 afaik.

Steam sales, they're a hell of a thing.

Frankly, I don't understand why Civ V get this praise. It is really a step back from Civ IV Beyond The Sworld. The only thing better in Civ V is the military part, but it has always be the least interesting part of the game. I am not saying that to be rude or anything, I realy want to understand what people find so good about it.

The UI is very intuitive. With few flaws. Brave New World also adds things like ideologies. Get out of here commie!

Best games: KSP of course!, and possibly Smash Hit (iOS/android infinite runner where you throw balls to break glass, which, now that I think about it, sounds a bit wrong)

Oh god, what are you talking about? That game was awful, or at the very least, Mediocre. get it? seriously though, it is

Maybe these all didn't come out this year, but I'll rank the ones I played anyway...

Favorites:

+ KSP (duh :) )

+ GTA V (got high hopes for the PC version as well)

+ Titanfall (more enjoyable than I expected)

+ South Park: Stick of Truth (much shorter than I expected, but very entertaining)

I don't really hate a lot of games, so here are some that I found, well, meh.

- Assetto Corsa (I like realism... but this is too much :( )

- The Stomping Land (Had potential, til the devs all disappeared)

- Stronghold 3 (Why oh why did I buy this steaming pile of...)

Ok, it's no KSP, but still, compared to the rest of the App Store... It's at least in the top 30. The rest mostly came out in 2013 or earlier.

That's like saying... Actually, I can't think of an analogy that isn't offensive. That's like saying it is [the best thing in a bunch of terrible things, fill in the blank]

Well, many people say best KSP bla bla.

Since we already play KSP and for me KSP is not finished, is not either good or bad. But I do like or else I did not had bought it, nor do I was here.

Best game: Must agree with some people here, Alien Isolation is well made, good atmosphere, good tension but it lacks something that I can't figure out yet. A bit frustrating.

Worst game: X-Rebirth. Always loved the X series even when some nasty bugs were frustrating, I got them all, X-Rebirth was such a disappointment consider Egosoft was developing the game for almost 4 years.

Can't think in any other games, except Elite. Started playing elite in black and white in the 80's and I did follow all the series. But since the game is not finished (they say it is but I don't buy it) the game looks very promising and I love the Elite series, would not Elite be th father and mother of all modern space simulator games.

Well, many people say best KSP bla bla.

Since we already play KSP and for me KSP is not finished, is not either good or bad. But I do like or else I did not had bought it, nor do I was here.

Best game: Must agree with some people here, Alien Isolation is well made, good atmosphere, good tension but it lacks something that I can't figure out yet. A bit frustrating.

Worst game: X-Rebirth. Always loved the X series even when some nasty bugs were frustrating, I got them all, X-Rebirth was such a disappointment consider Egosoft was developing the game for almost 4 years.

Can't think in any other games, except Elite. Started playing elite in black and white in the 80's and I did follow all the series. But since the game is not finished (they say it is but I don't buy it) the game looks very promising and I love the Elite series, would not Elite be th father and mother of all modern space simulator games.

Wasn't X-Rebirth the year before last? (2013), I have to agree anyway, it was an absolute abomination of a game and thats coming from someone who thought X3-reunion was one of the best space games ever (after modding).

I think that Alien Isolation was great in that it had fantastic environments, great effects and sound, good survival horror aspects but the main problem was the pacing.

way too much dodging androids and pushing buttons, only to be told that it you need to go all the back from where you just came from to push more buttons. :rolleyes:

And as much as I like the new Elite Dangerous you are kinda right, it really isn't finished, it feels expansive but empty, and I can't help thinking while I'm playing it that I'd probably have more fun just starting a new X3 save.

Wasn't X-Rebirth the year before last? (2013), I have to agree anyway, it was an absolute abomination of a game and thats coming from someone who thought X3-reunion was one of the best space games ever (after modding).

I think that Alien Isolation was great in that it had fantastic environments, great effects and sound, good survival horror aspects but the main problem was the pacing.

way too much dodging androids and pushing buttons, only to be told that it you need to go all the back from where you just came from to push more buttons. :rolleyes:

And as much as I like the new Elite Dangerous you are kinda right, it really isn't finished, it feels expansive but empty, and I can't help thinking while I'm playing it that I'd probably have more fun just starting a new X3 save.

Oh dear lord X:rebirth was a disaster. It's pretty much the only game I ever bought that I outright regretted. I'm usually verry picky in my games so I don't tend to go wrong much but I was a HUGE fan of the X series. I must have pumped thousands of hours into Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude after modding them. So yea, thinking that X:rebirth would be a worthy followup got me kinda burned. At least it tought me to never pre-purchase anything ever again. :P

But yah... Best games: Far Cry 4 (More of the same, but FC 3 wasn't bad either so that's a good thing) and Elite Dangerous.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.