OMICRON - Flying Space Car Development Thread

Climberfx

On 11/27/2016 at 6:03 PM, Climberfx said:

That is possible, besides the parts would be a lot heavier for the game. For now i'm trying to put details, but keeping low poly and reusing map textures at most.

After first release i will think on that (and other suggestions) with love.

I generally like the idea of using a high/medium poly super-close LOD, with the further out LODs practically being parallax mapped impostor boxes.  I noticed most of your parts can easily be simplified down to low-poly-count far LODs in this manner while still retaining all the major parts.  The decision to have an outer bulkhead structure on that bulkhead adapter is very key to doing this, because without it, you can't simplify the interior structure to a single parallax mapped transparent face at a distant without creating major side-view artifacts.

Similarly your other designs are all simplistic in a manner that allows for taking advantage of high polygon up close, without losing any structural components at low LOD details far away.

4 hours ago, Ruedii said:

I generally like the idea of using a high/medium poly super-close LOD, with the further out LODs practically being parallax mapped impostor boxes.  I noticed most of your parts can easily be simplified down to low-poly-count far LODs in this manner while still retaining all the major parts.  The decision to have an outer bulkhead structure on that bulkhead adapter is very key to doing this, because without it, you can't simplify the interior structure to a single parallax mapped transparent face at a distant without creating major side-view artifacts.

Similarly your other designs are all simplistic in a manner that allows for taking advantage of high polygon up close, without losing any structural components at low LOD details far away.

There's no LOD controlled by modder in KSP, at least that I know.

Edited by Climberfx

Update:

Ready! Finito cockpit windows. But as always, there is still one more thing (there is always something else...)

Make the emblem of Omicron, Rsrsrsrsrs.

But I'm already organizing myself for the process, Maya/Photoshop/Unity/KSP, Goes and Comes add infinitum. RSRSSRRSRRSR.

Prepare for the partial pre-release...

Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 1.53.11 PM

Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 4.06.42 PM

Edited by Climberfx

9 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

Just wondering, how much fuel do the parts store?

All is volumetric calculated in Maya, taking a little discount percentage for the structure volume. And in other parts like Crew parts, some of this volume is for life support (TAC compatibility).

I'm in a job until next week, so will be some stall in porting parts..

Hold on tight!

Edited by Climberfx

Would matching radial attached heat shields for the bottom be too much to ask. (Available in titanium and arbilating tile varieties both with low heat conduction to attached surface.)

Edited by Ruedii
More detail

21 hours ago, Ruedii said:

Would matching radial attached heat shields for the bottom be too much to ask. (Available in titanium and arbilating tile varieties both with low heat conduction to attached surface.)

The Omicron parts will be already termal protected. Some active system, that are refrigerated.

Update:

Returning production!

Edited by Climberfx

3 hours ago, Climberfx said:

The Omicron parts will be already termal protected. Some active system, that are refrigerated.

Update:

Returning production!

OK, so already basic titanium heat shield and refrigeration systems. 

In that case, only the arbalator heat shield would be favorable to include, and usually wouldn't be needed, so long as proper reentry procedures were followed and the player wasn't using a mode with high reentry heat.

17 hours ago, Ruedii said:

OK, so already basic titanium heat shield and refrigeration systems. 

In that case, only the arbalator heat shield would be favorable to include, and usually wouldn't be needed, so long as proper reentry procedures were followed and the player wasn't using a mode with high reentry heat.

Yeah! There will be procedures...

Otherwise you will have your ship burning in peaces!

:wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.