64bit or 32 bit?

Bartman

Had to do a Clean install of W7 and am now using 7 Home Premium 64bit. I D/L'd KSP x64 but get a KSP warning in the beginning that I should use the Windows 32bit version. It has frozen a couple times. I thought that was what 64bit was for! Should I run KSP 32 on Windows 7 64bit?

Yes, you should. The warning is coming from some mod, not KSP itself. However, you should be aware that the 64 bits build of KSP is extremely unstable, even without mods. In fact, career mode won't even work properly (again, even without mods) since you start with all the buildings already unlocked.

The win64 build could work for you, or most likely it might not. Just don't use it - it's a lot safer.

32bit ksp isn't stable currently, until unity 5 is released and is implemented.

1. Since we are talking about Unity I doubt that Unity 5 is a guarantee for x64 (or anything else) to work
  2. You would only need x64 when installing mods (which is a good idea), but mods don't support x64 because it's broken
  3. Win x64 is unstable, don't use it
  4. Win x64 is unstable, don't use it
  5. Seriously, spare yourself the trouble and don't use it

Currently x64 (on windows) is broken so much that you couldn't progress in career mode at all. So if you want to play career you need to play 32 bit. All together 64 bit is considered unstable, and has random unexplainable crashes happening, as well as some bugs that are exclusive to the win x64 version of the game, like the career bug I mentioned before. We all hope that it will get better with the next Unity version, but we'll see how well it works when Unity 5 is a thing. For now I'd say don't use 64 bit KSP on windows.

32 bit is fine with the active texture thing on, I saved over 1gb of space, room for plenty more mores (originally 15 or so).

With in on extreme mode I doubt you can load too many mods without lots of part replication or loading things you will never use!

I don't understand what's the problem really, the 64bit of 0.24.2 is waaaaaaay more stable rather than the 32bit of the 0.90. (Except for the right click problem) But I don't mind since i prefer something like this(http://i.imgur.com/gK2bf0N.png) , rather than this... (http://i.imgur.com/XHx38XF.png)

I'm usually playing with the mod pack for RSS and i usually hit the 8GB(http://i.imgur.com/Qny0KDA.png), just jusing kerbal, while now i have to pray to not crash while switching scenario because I'm with the 32bit with 3,5GB of RAM, one more and game will shutdown without any advice.

Do mods need to be coded also for 64bit? If not I don't see the point of limiting those...

Do mods need to be coded also for 64bit? If not I don't see the point of limiting those...

Sometimes, yes.

But the point is that modders get stock-x64-bugs reported as mod bugs or x64 simply does strange things to the mod.

The best argument that it's not the fault of any modder is that even HarvesteR wasn't able to figure out why all buildings start fully upgraded in x64.

Nobody can expect more from a modder, which has also been confirmed by Max in the SQUADCast yesterday.

If x64 works for someone, be happy, but for the majority it's a no-go.

Turn off terrain scatter if you're flying low for extended periods of time. There's a memory leak which is exacerbated by that, making the 32-bit version run out of RAM pretty fast, with or without any mods.

Or, use Linux, as apparently the 64-bit version there works fine.

AVOID 64 BIT KSP AS IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDED ON IT!

If you cant survive without your mods and they take more than 3.3 GB of memory, then use this texture compression mod.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-24-Release-3-3-1-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs!

I didn't have any problems with the 64 bit community hack in 0.23.5, and neither with the 0.24 64 bit version. I never really played 0.25 much, especially not with mods, so I don't know about that, and I of course don't use x64 on 0.90 because of the career bug, but "avoid it like your life depends on it" is pretty much the overreaction of the freaking year.

If your mods need to much RAM, install ActiveTextureManagement.

You might also want to take a look at my SETI-BalanceMod (link in signature). It makes heavy use of ProceduralParts, which makes a lot of parts obsolete, so they can be deleted without gameplay constraint.

Also, you dont start manned and there are a lot of rebalances already.

I didn't have any problems with the 64 bit community hack in 0.23.5, and neither with the 0.24 64 bit version. I never really played 0.25 much, especially not with mods, so I don't know about that, and I of course don't use x64 on 0.90 because of the career bug, but "avoid it like your life depends on it" is pretty much the overreaction of the freaking year.

Well, the devs have stated that the stability issues with the win x64 got substantially worse in 0.25 (may have been 0.24, but I think it was 0.25).

Because it has anecdotally worked well for you doesn't mean that it works for many other people.

Avoiding 64-bit KSP for windows like the freaking plague seems to be pretty sound advice.

Edit: This reddit post would support it was 0.25 where it got worse.

Edited by LethalDose

No, because it's only January! :sticktongue:

If they fix 64 bit when the game is out of Beta then...whats the problem? Should modders expect 64 bit to eventually be the better platform for their creations once its finished? While I understand their want to use 32 bit, they should expect 64 bit to be the one used when all is said and done. Shunting 64 bit is only going to cause more problems later on. Especially for them selves.

If they fix 64 bit when the game is out of Beta then...whats the problem? Should modders expect 64 bit to eventually be the better platform for their creations once its finished? While I understand their want to use 32 bit, they should expect 64 bit to be the one used when all is said and done. Shunting 64 bit is only going to cause more problems later on. Especially for them selves.

Not really. The day a working 64 bit version appears the modders who (rightfully) shun it currently will just go into their mods, remove the (probably very tiny) amount of code that keeps their mod from working in 64 bit, recompile, and be done with it. And much happier.

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.