[1.4.*] [2.5.3] (2018-04-06) UbioZur Welding Ltd. Continued

girka2k

2 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

Ah! Okay. Also, when I weld parts, the centre of the weld doesn't seem to match up with the centre of the parts, making some attaching things with symmetry difficult. Is there a way to get around that?

Are massless parts included?

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎.‎06‎.‎2016 at 1:15 AM, AdrianK. said:

I am wondering what "vector precision" do. Can anyone please explain? 

it defines the amount of numbers after the dot. with precision of 1 you get x.y; with precision 6 you get x.yzabcd.

On ‎10‎-‎2‎-‎2015 at 11:19 AM, TheCardinal said:

A suggestion you might try:

Save the ship, go to the VAB and load the ship there. Then try to weld it. Several of my weldings have rotated parts when i weld a ship in the SPH but not when i weld it in the VAB. Please let me know if that helps.

Thanks for the tip, that works a charm. May I suggest to @Alewx putting this solution under known issues on the first post? And kudo's to you guys for taking over the mod btw.

Edit: this is about wonkey wing assemblies when welding in SPH.

Edited by FyunchClick
moar info

Firstly, like I said before thanks for keeping this mod out there, I like building big things and this helps keep them playable. 

I have a question about NUKs. I welded about 9 or so together on a single octostrut, but in game the thing becomes quite volatile when you switch back to it after some time has passed. The nearly radiators start glowing red hot, and about 10 seconds later, the assembly blows up due to overheating according to the flight report.

Looking at the part.cfg, I noticed in the ModuleCoreHeat section it'd added up a few numbers that I think it shouldn't have, namely CoreTempGoal, which went from the original single NUK 350 to 3150, which is a lot hotter than the part max temp of 1200. Some other numbers that seem to have to do with warping (and presumably integrating when switching back to the vehicle) include MaxCalculationWarp (according to the in file documentation of the NUK cfg "Based on how dramatic the changes are, this is the max rate of change") which went from 1000 to 9000, and CoreShutdownTemp which went from an already impressive 10000 to 90000. Finally, there's another number in the root config of the part called radiatorMax that's at 1.5 for the regular NUK that didn't make it into the welded .cfg at all, although I don't think that's involved with the catastrophic failure of this part when switching to it.

I'm going to muck around with those numbers a bit and see if I can get the assembly a lot less blowy-uppy, but I"m wondering if some of those numbers shouldn't be averaged out instead of added up? Thoughts or corrections most welcome.

Another thing I wanted to mention is about welding wing parts. I welded 5 big-s delta's and a few structural parts, with a few parts rotated and mirrored, to end up with a lot bigger delta-ish wing, all in the same plane (eg no parts above or below the horizontal plane of the wing, or rotated relative to that). I then noticed that in the aero forces overlay, the lift from this wing seemed to come a few dozen meters to the left and right of where I was expecting it. Looking at the CoLOffset/CoPOffset offset vectors, I noticed the values were an straight up add for the constituent part values, so I think it's not actually transforming those according to the parts rotation before adding it up, and that resulted in a big lift vector offset to the left and right.

Update wrt the NUK welding: I changed all those numbers I mentioned to the values of a single NUK, and although I've no clue if I now nerfed the heating parameters on that part into irrelevance, it's no longer blowing up which is progress.

Wrt the wings, I realized it's probably a lot more complicated than just rotating all parts; their individual offsets and incidence also matter, and then you have body lift for any non-lifting-surface to take into account if those are mixed into a welded assembly. I can see things could become pretty complicated pretty fast.

Heya, just short, Yes welding in SPH is always a bit tricky due to rotated base axis.

And heating sounds mostly like the value is just in default setting and not set into averaging. this can be done by hand with the second settings file.

So im having long loading time for multiple welded-parts(not multi-welded parts) existing within the same craft . I have one 100-part-weld as structural backbone for my spaceplane, one 100-part-weld  as structural backbone for my space ship. When I load them individually they take like 4 secs to load. When I load both within physics range as 2 separate crafts, it takes like 10 secs to load them. Makes sense, and acceptable. But then when I load them as they are docked they take like 5 minutes to load. 5 minutes. I did an experiment with only the two parts made into one craft. Same thing happens. Then I tried building crafts made of two welded-parts, this time the plane/ship-weld with a random 3-part-weld. It took a lot shorter, like 5 secs. Heres the question, I dont understand what caused the exponential increase in loading time.

2 hours ago, infernosblade said:

So im having long loading time for multiple welded-parts(not multi-welded parts) existing within the same craft . I have one 100-part-weld as structural backbone for my spaceplane, one 100-part-weld  as structural backbone for my space ship. When I load them individually they take like 4 secs to load. When I load both within physics range as 2 separate crafts, it takes like 10 secs to load them. Makes sense, and acceptable. But then when I load them as they are docked they take like 5 minutes to load. 5 minutes. I did an experiment with only the two parts made into one craft. Same thing happens. Then I tried building crafts made of two welded-parts, this time the plane/ship-weld with a random 3-part-weld. It took a lot shorter, like 5 secs. Heres the question, I dont understand what caused the exponential increase in loading time.

Need to ask that Squad and Unity. Something about resource model and texture loading.

16 hours ago, Alewx said:

Need to ask that Squad and Unity. Something about resource model and texture loading.

But if i were to build the same 2 crafts connected but not welded, they would be loading the same amount of textures and models. And that takes like 12 seconds to load, not 5 minutes. Im thinking if it would be the B9 & interstellar parts i was using. But I have had other crafts with multiple welds using parts from those mods that dont cause any problems. 

4 hours ago, jonathanmoon said:

the mod is incompatible with ksp 1.1.3 and causes wierd issues, if it works at all. the prpblem is mainly that fuel contents and modules arent working properly

As @Alewx mentioned that he's moving, I recommend patience while he gets settled in:

On 6/13/2016 at 1:22 PM, Alewx said:

Due to moving, I will be out of Internet for a whole month, and can not respond or update anything.

13 hours ago, jonathanmoon said:

the mod is incompatible with ksp 1.1.3 and causes wierd issues, if it works at all. the prpblem is mainly that fuel contents and modules arent working properly

Right now there is nothing I could do about it. I'm in office at work while responding, but I can not update the game or the mod until the 2016-07-27, atleast. the provider gave this date for the new internet connection, but I'm not so sure about that.

1 hour ago, Alewx said:

Right now there is nothing I could do about it. I'm in office at work while responding, but I can not update the game or the mod until the 2016-07-27, atleast. the provider gave this date for the new internet connection, but I'm not so sure about that.

well I wanted to see if the community has similiar issues, and see if anyone has a solution. The mod was working fine in general on 1.1.3 for me except when the part count for welds are too high. I did some more testing to no avail, but just for the record it wasnt to do with my other mods, i tried switching out parts. I guess its really something intrinsic. I ll wait for update for now.

1 hour ago, infernosblade said:

well I wanted to see if the community has similiar issues, and see if anyone has a solution. The mod was working fine in general on 1.1.3 for me except when the part count for welds are too high. I did some more testing to no avail, but just for the record it wasnt to do with my other mods, i tried switching out parts. I guess its really something intrinsic. I ll wait for update for now.

In theory there is to limit in partcount for the mod. The real limitation is the patience for waiting till everything is finished.

I've got a weird one I wanted to see if anyone has experienced (I've used the welder for a long time and never seen this)........

I have a simple craft welded. Put an engine and a docking port on it AFTER the welding. It works great.

Take a second craft (with out without welding) and dock the 2 in space. Works great. Except for some reason, I cannot do anything like change crafts or go to the Space Center. I get a message that says "Warning! You are moving over the surface". Get the same message when trying to switch to another craft in orbit. I can undock them and everything is fine. I haven't really had any issues with the welding until I started testing a couple ships docking. I know there is a docking issue in 1.1.2 or 1.1.3, but I have never experienced it in 1.1.2 and I'm not running 1.1.3 yet. I don't have this issue if I use the exact same parts in the 2 ships with no weldments. 

Anyone ever experienced this before?

On ‎10‎.‎07‎.‎2016 at 8:26 AM, jmbailey2000 said:

I've got a weird one I wanted to see if anyone has experienced (I've used the welder for a long time and never seen this)........

I have a simple craft welded. Put an engine and a docking port on it AFTER the welding. It works great.

Take a second craft (with out without welding) and dock the 2 in space. Works great. Except for some reason, I cannot do anything like change crafts or go to the Space Center. I get a message that says "Warning! You are moving over the surface". Get the same message when trying to switch to another craft in orbit. I can undock them and everything is fine. I haven't really had any issues with the welding until I started testing a couple ships docking. I know there is a docking issue in 1.1.2 or 1.1.3, but I have never experienced it in 1.1.2 and I'm not running 1.1.3 yet. I don't have this issue if I use the exact same parts in the 2 ships with no weldments. 

Anyone ever experienced this before?

Are you able to reproduce this without any welded part?

1 hour ago, jmbailey2000 said:

I have no issues with docking when welded parts are not involved. As long as one craft has welded parts, the docking issue occurs.

do you include the docking port in the weldment? what is the smallest possible weldment that can cause the issue?

Hey.

I have tried this mod today and I have a question. After welding the parts should I get more FPS? I have made the test on strutCubicOcto

I have connected 800 strutCubicOcto together without welding = 5FPS

Then I have welded 200 strutCubicOcto together into one part and then connnected 4 welded long parts together (4welded parts, 200 cubicocto in each welded parts gives 800 but in hangar KSP said that this experiment has only 4 parts, so it has been welded corectly).....result? 5 FPS with 4 prats...

If I understood corectly welding parts together should reduce phisics calculation for CPU, but it doent matter if I have 800 strutCubicOcto  welded or not computer reaches 5FPS. So whats the point of welding pats?

Thanks for help

Edited by Fair_Player[PL]
Important thing