[1.4.1] Magico13's Modlets (Sensible Screenshot, Dated QuickSaves, etc.)

magico13

@SpaceNomad Looking through the log for some reason your Kerbals were only getting 2.5XP from that flight. Thankfully you don't need any stars to clear out science equipment: any scientist can do that. The log doesn't say anything else, so I'm not sure why that would only count for 2.5XP, especially since PortraitStats is saying it should be 3XP and the two mods agree about how much experience Bob has prior to the flight. Could be a mod interaction? But that still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If you notice anything weird again let me know. I might have to do a minmus flyby myself later to see what it comes up with.

Jebediah Kerman - EXP (career): 2 EXP (flight): 4.5 LVL: 1
Bill Kerman - EXP (career): 2 EXP (flight): 4.5 LVL: 1
Bob Kerman - EXP (career): 5 EXP (flight): 7.5 LVL: 1
Valentina Kerman - EXP (career): 2 EXP (flight): 4.5 LVL: 1
Milming Kerman - EXP (career): 2 EXP (flight): 4.5 LVL: 1

Edit: Aha! The wiki is feeding false information, which is perhaps what PortraitStats is using as a base (whereas FieldExperience uses the values from the game). Minmus flyby is in fact 2.5XP and not 3.0XP. The chart on the wiki states that Minmus flyby is 3 XP (at 1 times the base modifier) but orbit (which is 1.5 times the base modifier) is 3.75 XP. That would mean the base modifier has to be 2.5XP not 3.0. All the others confirm that. It even says the modifier is 2.5 in the rightmost column. Looks like PortraitStats is the one that has a bug ;) 

Edited by magico13

5 hours ago, magico13 said:

Edit: Aha! The wiki is feeding false information, which is perhaps what PortraitStats is using as a base (whereas FieldExperience uses the values from the game). Minmus flyby is in fact 2.5XP and not 3.0XP. The chart on the wiki states that Minmus flyby is 3 XP (at 1 times the base modifier) but orbit (which is 1.5 times the base modifier) is 3.75 XP. That would mean the base modifier has to be 2.5XP not 3.0. All the others confirm that. It even says the modifier is 2.5 in the rightmost column. Looks like PortraitStats is the one that has a bug ;) 

Strange indeed. I just looked into the sources of PortraitStats which seems to use KerbalRoster.GetExperienceLog() from the KSP assembly. I suspect, that it's just rounding to the closest integer somewhere, though the code monodevelop shows me for the relevant functions seem to use float.

Anyway, no bug in FieldExperience as you said. Thanks for looking into it!

• 3 weeks later...

New modlet: Ship Save Splicer

Based on this suggestion by @pandaman, Ship Save Splicer lets you export a vessel from one save and import it into another. Have a really awesome station around Kerbin, but want to try out the New Horizons mod? (thus requiring a new save) Just export the station, add your new mods, and import the station into your new save. Running your game in multiple saves to cut down on lag? (I know that @Brotoro has done this for Long Term Laythe) Export the ships from one and import them into the other when needed.

It should work even with Kerbals onboard (though transferring living kerbals through the interdimensional void is dangerous and may summon Krakens, which is why you must mod+click to import kerbals). In the case where a Kerbal with the same name already exists in the new save, a duplicate is created with a new name (Bob Kerman's duplicate is Bob Kerman II). I highly suggest quicksaving before importing any craft with Kerbals, just to be safe.

Let me know of any bug you find. Hopefully someone gets a use out of it!

(also, KerbalStuff seems like it's acting up a bit. I have no idea if this will end up on CKAN, so if you don't notice it there in a day or two let me know and I'll get it added)

Edited by magico13

Hey great modlets.

Ive been using Dated quick saves for a while and its awesome. Unfortunately Ive recently reworked my install (starting from a clean install) because of some unrelated problems, and I cant seem to get dated quick saves to work properly again. The auto save function is working but not the quicksave function. it just uses the normal quicksave and not the dated one. Ive changed the name template for both the auto and quick. they are nearly the same except for a "A" and "Q"

How did i mess up your mod? lol any idea what could be wrong? I have a ton of mods but nothing that should interact with the saves....

34 minutes ago, RedDestiny said:

I cant seem to get dated quick saves to work properly again

That's pretty strange to hear since it's been working fine for me in 1.0.5. Could you grab two files for me? The first is the output_log.txt file (this post contains the log location for each operating system). You'll have to upload that to dropbox or some other filesharing site. The second is the Dated Quicksaves config file (that way I can test with the same config). The config file you can just copy directly into here since it's pretty short.

The two do work differently, so it could be a permissions issue or something like that. Quicksaves are just copies of the "quicksave.sfs" file that are renamed, but autosaves use the KSP save function to create a totally new save file. It's possible that the copy+rename isn't allowed for some reason, but creating a new file is.

So after messing around (regen the settings file) it seems to work without changing the name but as soon as i do it stops working.

the relevant line is "FileNameTemplate = Y[year0]_D[day0]_H[hour0]:M[min0]_Quick"

any idea why this doesn't work?

heres the log file and full settings if it helps:

Spoiler

Log :https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2hkjqkbbbcn7xq/output_log.txt?dl=0

Settings:

DateString = yyyy-MM-dd--HH-mm-ss
FileNameTemplate = Y[year0]_D[day0]_H[hour0]:M[min0]_Quick
MaxQuickSaveCount = 20
AutoSaveTemplate = Y[year0]_D[day0]_H[hour0]:M[min0]_Auto
AutoSaveFreq = 10
MaxAutoSaveCount = 15
FillSpaces = False
ReplaceChar = _

7 minutes ago, RedDestiny said:

any idea why this doesn't work?

You can't use colons in filenames on windows. Here's a list of characters to avoid using: http://www.mtu.edu/umc/services/web/cms/characters-avoid/

If the autosaves were working then that's a bit surprising. I'm about to take a look at the log, which will probably confirm that the colon is the issue.

E: The log mentions that the destination directory could not be found and cuts off at where you have the colon in the filename, which just confirms that thought some more. I should try to detect those issues and replace those characters automatically in the next update.

Edited by magico13

Gah ya totally should have know that. didn't even realize that i did that. also looking back the autosaves that were "working" were actually older, but similar, ones.

that's what i get for messing with configs late at night lol

sorry to trouble you and thanks

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, speedwaystar said:

should Field Experience be granting xp to scientists in research labs who are actively researching.

Do Kerbals normally get experience from research labs? All Field Experience does is recalculate their experience based on their flight log, removing the need to recover them on Kerbin to get XP. It doesn't add experience over time or anything like that. If the research labs are supposed to somehow grant XP (I don't remember reading that though) then I'd consider it a bug in Field Experience that I would need to fix (or at least a feature that it needs to support).

E: The wiki makes it look like all scientists do in the research lab is speed it up based on their level. They should still level if the lab is on another planet, but Roster Manager might not show that because Field Experience doesn't write the Flight Log to the Career Log, it just calculates the new experience and recalculates their level. It doesn't even write their experience to the Kerbal, just the level (I might change it in the future to write the total experience as well, it doesn't really matter since it's recalculated whenever you load the scene in Stock anyway, so writing it doesn't affect anything)

Edited by magico13

1 hour ago, magico13 said:

They should still level if the lab is on another planet, but Roster Manager might not show that...

the lab is in a space station orbiting the Mun, which may or may not count for being on another planet. i'll bring him back to Kerbin and see what happens.

6 minutes ago, speedwaystar said:

the lab is in a space station orbiting the Mun, which may or may not count for being on another planet. i'll bring him back to Kerbin and see what happens.

Mun orbit should get you 5 total XP resulting in 1 star. When you load up the lab and check the Kerbal levels through map mode (or through portrait stats), how many stars are listed?

Ship Save Splicer v1.0 (01/09/2016) [KSP 1.0.5]

Description: Ever built a ship, base, or station in one save and wish you could transfer it into a new save? Perhaps you built a really awesome station around Kerbin in a save, then added the New Horizons mod and had to start a new save. With Ship Save Splicer you can export the station from one save and import it into another, even if they use wildly different mods (with the exception of required part mods).

Just enter the tracking station, select a craft from the left, and press the "SSS" button. The ship will be exported to the "Kerbal Space Program/Ships/export" folder, ready to be imported into a new save. To import a craft, enter the tracking station and don't select any vessels. Press the "SSS" button to bring up the importer in no-crew mode and select the vessel you want to import. It will then be imported without any crew members.

To import a craft with all of its crew, mod-click the "SSS" button (so Alt-Click or RightShift-Click) to bring up the importer in "crewed" mode. Importing vessels with crew has a much larger potential of breaking things, so make a quicksave beforehand! When importing with crew all the crew stats should transfer properly. If there's already a Kerbal with the same name in the Save (for instance, "Bob Kerman") then the imported Kerbal will be renamed with a roman numeral (ie, "Bob Kerman II").

License: GPLv3. Also included in the zip file.

Installation: Merge the included GameData folder with the one in your KSP directory, overwriting any files.

Download (KerbalStuff)

finally someone comes up with an InflightShipSave successor :D  I'm in love.

38 minutes ago, inigma said:

finally someone comes up with an InflightShipSave successor :D  I'm in love.

It's not quite the same since you can't save the vessel as a craft file to open it up in the editor (though I could add that, KCT does it based on what Claw came up with for InflightShipSave), all it does is take it out of one save file and put it into another one. The most useful things to transfer would be stations and bases, but I know of people who do all their interplanetary transfers in another save and manually merge them back into the main save after they arrive, which this would make 10x easier.

3 minutes ago, inigma said:

modlet dseired: would be nice if someone where to take up the Holodeck mod (it's MIT). Just need a basic simulator without KCT. 

Enneract has actually been around lately, so he might come back to it. I've been considering taking it over, since it's based on KCT and enneract and I were planning HoloDeck together as part of KCT2. KCT has a Preset that disables everything but the simulation mode, so I haven't felt a need to have a separate simulation mod. We'll see though. I'd like to, but I barely maintain the mods I'm actively working on :P

Edited by magico13

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Andem said:

So how will the downloads be made avaiable now?

I haven't had a moment to sit down and figure out what I'm going to do, but my initial idea is to switch to GitHub. I may or may not switch to the new KerbalStuff replacement, but I don't need to worry nearly as much about GitHub randomly shutting down one day.

In the meantime I can make them available from my server as soon as I get home and eat some dinner.

Edited by magico13

4 minutes ago, magico13 said:

I haven't had a moment to sit down and figure out what I'm going to do, but my initial idea is to switch to GitHub. I may or may not switch to the new KerbalStuff replacement, but I don't need to worry nearly as much about GitHub randomly shutting down one day.

Ok. can't wait... everything is all up in a fuss now!

1 hour ago, Andem said:

Ok. can't wait... everything is all up in a fuss now!

All my files are more dispersed than I thought and I don't have any of the downloads laying around anywhere and don't want to put up possibly outdated ones. I'm downloading the KerbalStuff torrent and will have to extract them out of there, then will put them up later. Unfortunately that means it'll have to wait until tomorrow since it's going to take a while to download all 60 gigs of mods.

I've got my mods set to download first, so it might still happen tonight.

Edited by magico13

10 minutes ago, magico13 said:

All my files are more dispersed than I thought and I don't have any of the downloads laying around anywhere and don't want to put up possibly outdated ones. I'm downloading the KerbalStuff torrent and will have to extract them out of there, then will put them up later. Unfortunately that means it'll have to wait until tomorrow since it's going to take a while to download all 60 gigs of mods.

Good to know. Best of luck to you and all the others trying to sift through the madness!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.