[1.9-1.10] Throttle Controlled Avionics

allista

1 hour ago, Bit Fiddler said:

we were talking about this earlier and I never got around to posting an idea I had for this.   if you scan for WPM to be installed and if it is just use it out right for your WP system.  and if not then revert to the existing WP system you have now.  this may be easier than trying to "merge" them. SCANSAT and  MJ also had a wp and route follow system, so if we got all 3 of these mods on board with one another and all using the same "internals" from WPM that would be great.  I think SCANSAT is already compatible with MJ but it has been a while since I messed with them.

one thing I really like about the WP system in TCA is the ability to click on the ground and drop a WP in flight mode.  as far as I recall this is not possible in WPM.  so there is some give and take that would be nice from all of these mods.  but it would sure be nice if they all get along.   WPM, MJ, SCANSAT I know are very big mods in the community, and TCA seems to fairly popular as well.  so it would just be nice if all of them could just get along...

As I've learned earlier, the stock waypoints (witch WPM uses) are not targetable. So there's no way to use them directly for navigation.

What I can do, though, is to enable TCA to pick up a location of currently selected stock waypoint and use it in Go/JumpTo programs and to add it as a TCA waypoint for a path navigation (like it works with other ships now).

I can also add/remove stock waypoints that would mirror TCA waypoints, so that WPM can see/display them. But I'm not sure if I can make then manageable from there.

6 hours ago, allista said:

What I can do, though, is to enable TCA to pick up a location of currently selected stock waypoint and use it in Go/JumpTo programs and to add it as a TCA waypoint for a path navigation (like it works with other ships now).

That sounds perfectly fine for me! Thanks!

8 hours ago, FirroSeranel said:

Video.

Too bad this was not the one where you hit the slope, because this is different; but no less horrifying, for that matter. And what's worse, I don't know if I could do something about it. The ship in the video have both low control authority and TMR. The only reliable way to slow it down in time is a continuous burn along the velocity vector. But this is something I was unable to acquire an analytical solution for (I mean, to calculate a burn that will finally land you at designated location). I'll try to add some checks for such cases, though. At least now I have a craft to test (BTW, could you send me the file with it?).

So, I've recently attempted to install this mod and have been having some difficulties. I can't find any information related to whether or not command parts have TCA functionality, and there is no evidence of TCA in the applications bar, VAB, or KSPedia. However, it does show the modules within the research tree.
I have performed multiple tests, both in career and sandbox, and have now reduced the contents of my gamedata folder to:
Squad
000_AT_Utils
ThrottleControlledAvionics
ModuleManager.2.7.2.dll
and have been still encountering this same issue.

Addendum:
Disregard, had the incorrect version installed.

Edited by Acetylcholine
PEBKAC

the command pod in the VAB/SPH will have a small blurb on their description saying it has TCA installed...  so far I have not found one that does not.  but I have not gone looking really.

oh and TCA does have a toolbar icon for default KSP toolbar

Edited by Bit Fiddler

7 minutes ago, Yoshidude said:

Would it be possible to make TCA work with probes with no connection, so they could auto-stabilize or complete maneuvers?

Yes. Currently only the GUI and Squadron commands are disabled for uncontrolled vessel.

2 minutes ago, Yoshidude said:

Hmm, I tried to click execute maneuver, then warped to my maneuver, and it said no control and didn't work.

Strange. Unless an uncontrollable vessel's parts don't update their modules, it should have. I'll check this out.

4 hours ago, allista said:

Too bad this was not the one where you hit the slope, because this is different; but no less horrifying, for that matter. And what's worse, I don't know if I could do something about it. The ship in the video have both low control authority and TMR. The only reliable way to slow it down in time is a continuous burn along the velocity vector. But this is something I was unable to acquire an analytical solution for (I mean, to calculate a burn that will finally land you at designated location). I'll try to add some checks for such cases, though. At least now I have a craft to test (BTW, could you send me the file with it?).

Well, I did run out of monopropellant by accident while I was on the ground, so it had more control authority the first time, and for the first landing. Still, that's a huge difference, between a perfect landing on the Midlands, and then a 200+ m/s crash in the East Crater. Its TMR though, isn't that bad. It's around 7 m/s², which isn't unreasonable for a lunar lander. Those VTOL engines are strong, at 650 kN each.

And sure, I can upload the file, but you'll need USI Freight Transport Technologies to run it, as it's a Honeybadger. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzmApevAhiLdnZjdzhrMTF0Rlk/view?usp=sharing

19 minutes ago, Acetylcholine said:

Is there a way to disable the collision prevention system? I've been attempting to use the autopilot to land a ship on top of another vessel I made, and what I'm assuming to be the CPS keeps kicking in and shoots me away from the ship whenever I get close.

Well, what it's actually doing is looking for flat, clear terrain to use as a viable landing site. I don't think there's any way to disable that. You might have to land it manually. Try using VTOL Mode and Anchor, with normal vertical speed control. In VSC, the throttle keys increase or decrease the vertical speed set point instead, so you can make very fine adjustments, very quickly.

5 minutes ago, FirroSeranel said:

Well, what it's actually doing is looking for flat, clear terrain to use as a viable landing site. I don't think there's any way to disable that. You might have to land it manually. Try using VTOL Mode and Anchor, with normal vertical speed control. In VSC, the throttle keys increase or decrease the vertical speed set point instead, so you can make very fine adjustments, very quickly.

I was attempting to use the cruise function at the time. Using autothrottle for velocity control did make it slightly easier; however, there was still a system that made it feel like I was attempting to force two magnets together due the fact that it would direct me away whenever I got close.

Is there a way to disable/rebind the Keybindings? For some reason mine is E and I don't remeber changing it. Flying is getting hard with my planes trying to point thrust vertical and the craft doesn't have the TWR to do a manuver like that.

6 hours ago, Acetylcholine said:

Is there a way to disable the collision prevention system? I've been attempting to use the autopilot to land a ship on top of another vessel I made, and what I'm assuming to be the CPS keeps kicking in and shoots me away from the ship whenever I get close.

You're right, it is the CPS, and no, there's no currently any way to disable it (I'll make a switch for that). But it only works when a horizontal speed control is in use. So: Stop, Level (internally it's the same module as Stop; yea, I know :confused:), Cruise and any higher-level autopilots. But, if you go manual (like @FirroSeranel proposed), leaving only the VTOL Mode, it should work.

1 hour ago, Vjrcr said:

Is there a way to disable/rebind the Keybindings? For some reason mine is E and I don't remeber changing it. Flying is getting hard with my planes trying to point thrust vertical and the craft doesn't have the TWR to do a manuver like that.

Well, there's only one keybinding that toggles TCA, and sure, it is changeable in "advanced" pane. Push the "Change TCA hotkey" button, then push a button you which.

9 hours ago, allista said:

You're right, it is the CPS, and no, there's no currently any way to disable it (I'll make a switch for that). But it only works when a horizontal speed control is in use. So: Stop, Level (internally it's the same module as Stop; yea, I know :confused:), Cruise and any higher-level autopilots. But, if you go manual (like @FirroSeranel proposed), leaving only the VTOL Mode, it should work.

Well, there's only one keybinding that toggles TCA, and sure, it is changeable in "advanced" pane. Push the "Change TCA hotkey" button, then push a button you which.

Thank you for your reply. Would CPS also explain the behavior I was encountering in the second post, too? In that one I was attempting to use @FirroSeranel's suggestion,  using manual vertical velocity control, but I think I also had VTOL Assist on too.

I'm just trying to understand all of the nuances of this system such that I can apply it to my own (convoluted) designs.

35 minutes ago, Acetylcholine said:

Thank you for your reply. Would CPS also explain the behavior I was encountering in the second post, too? In that one I was attempting to use @FirroSeranel's suggestion,  using manual vertical velocity control, but I think I also had VTOL Assist on too.

I'm just trying to understand all of the nuances of this system such that I can apply it to my own (convoluted) designs.

VTOL Assist uses Level and Stop, so yes, it is able to interfere. But if you also have used the Anchor, as @FirroSeranel proposed, then, as with any navigation, the CPS was on all the time.

7 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

I know this is not really the place to ask...  but does anybody remember how to get the KSP jet engines that had the turbines attached to them?  there was a mod once that brought them back as additional parts leaving the standard ones in place.

Not... -quite- sure what you mean. You mean nacelles, like the ones that house the engines of most airliners under the wings? They're in Aerodynamics, called nacelles. If you then put a turbojet or fanjet on them, and a circular intake, you'll have a reasonably convincing-looking airliner engine.

I think there's also a bigger nacelle-style all-in-one engine, called... the Goliath, IIRC? I -think- it's stock, but I'm not entirely sure. It'd be in Engines, but it's pretty late in the tech tree, in Heavy Aerodynamics or something.

Edited by FirroSeranel

On 2016-10-23 at 4:10 AM, allista said:

Is there a "master" setting or some way to set the Keybinding on all vessles? Doing it each time I launch a vessle is inconvenient.

Edited by Vjrcr
Grammar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.