Dawn at Ceres Thread

Frida Space

Is all of this conjecture based on when they last saw it before it reached the 'dark side?' Are they still getting a signal? I was under the impression that we had to wait until it emerges again, to know if everything is still running smoothly.

Is all of this conjecture based on when they last saw it before it reached the 'dark side?' Are they still getting a signal? I was under the impression that we had to wait until it emerges again, to know if everything is still running smoothly.

Being on the dark side doesn't exactly mean blocked by the dark side of the planet.

Just means that any photos we get are going to be mostly, if not all, black because there's no sunlight reaching the side we would see.

I was hoping any OpNav photos would show a crescent, as the resolution would be greater than before.

http://dawnblog.jpl.nasa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Full-approach.jpg

It's not over the 'dark side', it's over the actual dark side; we aren't receiving images because they aren't being taken. We're in full contact with the spacecraft, we're just not burdening the DSN with data that we know will not include useful or interesting.

But doesn't the AutoNav (I'm assuming similar to the DS1 program) use photographs to help orient itself? So aren't the guys at NASA getting photographs anyway for course corrections?

http://dawnblog.jpl.nasa.gov/

"...when Dawn spies the thin crescent of Ceres in its next optical navigation session, scheduled for April 10..."

"...on April 14 (and extending into April 15), Dawn will obtain its last navigational fix before it finishes maneuvering..."

EDIT: Sorry, I misunderstood what you were getting at.

I knew that, I was just complaining that they haven't released the OpNav photographs from today yet, as I was anxious to see any pictures of Ceres in higher resolution.

Edited by -ctn-

I was starting at a blow up of Nasa psuedocolor Ceres image

http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/pia19063/dawns-first-color-map-of-ceres/

And I see tracks or rifts on the rightish side of the photo.

4 of them seem to coalesce into what appears to be the bright spot (can't say for sure because this is psuedocolored.

Nasa claims the spots are cooler than surrounding terrain, which means these are probably of a reflective nature.

If this was of a techtonic nature one might expect them to be dark, I don't know of any techtonic activity the produces white colored igneous (unless it was gypsum or quartz).

Any thoughts?

What I see is too many compression artifacts to see much detail. Chances are the "tracks or rifts" you are seeing (I'm not seeing anything of the sort) are simply due to the compression algorithm and the poor resolution.

It's not over the 'dark side', it's over the actual dark side; we aren't receiving images because they aren't being taken. We're in full contact with the spacecraft, we're just not burdening the DSN with data that we know will not include useful or interesting.

We don't really know for sure what will be useful and interesting, it's a new world. For all we know, if we take an image of Ceres' night side at the right time, there will be a back-lit plume of dusty water vapor or something, kinda like we see on Enceladus when Cassini takes back-lit images of it from a distance. One of the leading candidates for the bright spots is, after all, a water vapor plume. Honestly, wouldn't it be smart to try taking an image of Ceres from its night side when the bright spot is on the limb, just to see if it rises from the surface into space some?

Looks to me like the bright spots, as seen in the second image posted above, will turn out to be nothing more than very shiny reflective surfaces ... like ice, or glass-like.

That's what I always thought. But could it explain why they are visible for a brief time even after local sunset?

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.