[0.90] Kerbol Minor Bodies (1.3)

Nicholander

Since this is a minor bodies mod, I was wondering if you could potentially create a world in which escape velocity is a bit less that 10m/s, or even better, 5m/s ( I want to have the challenge of landing on a celestial body without using ANY sort of propellant use during it's descent onto the potentially ice, tiny world).

Well, uh... I'm not sure about that. It would have to be stupidly tiny, and I think PQS would just essentially be messed up so badly that it would crash the game. (In other words, KSP wasn't made for super-duper tiny little bodies)

I know now, considering that I made a celestial body that is ~420 meters in diameter, and the screen was so flashy i bet it could have caused a seizure.

Ah well, I hope that gets fixed sooner rather than later, or even better make a good sized asteroid like body and give it a ridiculously low G-level ASL.

Again, I hope to see bug fixes for that soon.

@Nicholander: Look at the Sprinkle mod. It adds an iddy biddy moon that orbits Kerbin at a 14 degree incline, with a PE of around 300, and its AP is 500 I think, its only 200 or so meters across, and uses Minmus as its template, basically its a miniature Minmus. It is heavily inhabited by Pudding Krakens, but if you get past the fact that touching the surface of Sprinkle can cause it to explode (literally explode...), its possible to make a planet with a diameter of less than 1k. The funny part is, because of its small size, to be able to give it a grabbable SOI, its gravet ASL is 0.3 which is more than the surface of Duna... its really funny, because if you have a strong enough ship, you can literally roll yourself into orbit, because a 10m orbit hight only takes ~19m/s!

I see, but honestly though, I really don't want this mod to have super unrealistic things like impossibly tiny yet super massive bodies like that. I know there's some obvious unrealistic things, like the 10% of IRL scale, but at least it's not as impossible as THAT.

Could you send me a link to the Sprinkle mod? I need to see if it is even possible for such a body to exist.

Thanks Drakoflame,

Astrofox

Here ya go Fox, have fun playing with the pudding Krakens! http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/111524-WIP-Minmus-Mintchip-Sprinkle-now-with-working-DL

OH! Fair warning, when your finally getting close to Sprinkle, make sure you look at it in ship view mode... that way you can avoid a potentially deadly (but delisiouse) katastrophy... a few times I have accidentally rammed slammed launched at Ludicrous speed came in to fast and heard an explosion, switched to ship view mode, only to see a deadly death ball of deadly spikes of death twitching and sputtering in and out of existance... The reason that happened is because I had the kopernicus file telling it WHERE to be, but I didn't have two other files that told it HOW to be there... so... as soon as I touched the SOI, it was like throwing the probe at the surface of Jool... KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! (and yes, its a joke, I know Jool doesn't have a surface, but if you DO go deep enough you just... poof)

Yeah, I've seen that glitch occur, not with the mod in particular, but some celestial bodies that I've created do this.

Also, Nicholander, I was wondering if you are going to create another planet pack for Kopernicus tech, and if so, will you create makeshift lagrangian points (I want to do some science in those lagrangian points)?

Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply, but I really don't know if I could even do "makeshift" Lagrangian points. I'm talking about L1 and L2, as L3, L4 and L5 are in the same orbit as the thing they're 'part of' (For lack of a better word), just the positions are different.

If I make L1 and L2 orbit Kerbol (Or any other body with big moons), they will slowly get out of sync with there main body, so in time L1 may be on the other side of Kerbol.

And if I make L1 and L2 orbit the smaller body, (Mun, Kerbin, Duna, etc.) then they will stay in proximity with the smaller body, but they will also slowly get out of there intended positions. If I had to choose one, it'd be this, but it could be weird when you're trying to go to L1 but it is actually where L2 should be.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you mean by 'change things each update?'? Do you mean that having to edit Phos' config file, open the game, see if you like the results, close down the game and edit the config file again is a bit tedious, or something like that? If that's what you mean than I'm sorry, I don't think there's a way to edit KopernicusTech files from within KSP, and I wish you could do that too.

• 3 weeks later...
Zem-Po

This is the Comet, with a ridiculous with a periapsis just under Moho's orbit, and a apoapsis above Jool's orbit. It's nucleus it a tiny little thing, just 8 kilometers in diameter, and it's gravity is absolutely stupidly small. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a trail when it swings by its periapsis, but it's still a great challenge to get to.

So apparently they got this to work in Kerbol Plus - I forgot to ask tho if the effect has any kind of scale factor relative to distance from Kerbol. So I just asked