Non physical simulation for static objects

That's what happens until you get close...

It needs to render it after all.

rendering doesnt need physics. i agree with op, there should be the option to anchor "buildings" on surfaces and then make them rigid (kinematic) until it gets a strong physical hit. if it gets a strong hit, set the parts back to non-kinematic and run the physics on it. the "strong hit" should set as the "weakest link". it would greatly reduce the calculations... (shouldnt include surface mounted objects like solarpanels, lights etc)

rendering doesnt need physics. i agree with op, there should be the option to anchor "buildings" on surfaces and then make them rigid (kinematic) until it gets a strong physical hit. if it gets a strong hit, set the parts back to non-kinematic and run the physics on it. the "strong hit" should set as the "weakest link". it would greatly reduce the calculations... (shouldnt include surface mounted objects like solarpanels, lights etc)

So, a weak hit would go straight through it? It needs to be a solid object, at least.

So, a weak hit would go straight through it? It needs to be a solid object, at least.

why would? if you dont know how physics works...? ehhh. kinematic objects works like rocks. they are there az phyisical objects, can be hit but they will not move or break. if something hit it, it will bounce down, but they count only as 1 single object, and calculations are made on it like on 1 single object...

Anchor = turn into static building, like the space centre objects and more obviously, KerbalKonstruct parts. You can collide with all of those, but they don't need the game engine to calculate if they move every frame... so there is a mechanism for interactable static objects already there. We just need the ability to say that one of our structures isn't going to move.

I think maybe, just let the root part of all stationary vessels (that aren't selected) have physics, adopting the collitions and mass of the child parts. Then its less abusable but still saves memory.

Another thing you could do, is to have all vessels in physics load range have the targeted velocity measure (the relative speed), velocity vector and if a collision is possible, let all the parts on the respective ships re-activate...

getting velocity vector is really easy, :

direction = transform.rigidbody.velocity.normalized

in-fact its already calculated in order to get prograde and retro-grade

Same with terrain scatter. They should be immobile and unaffected by physics like the ksc buildings, but should also be solid so you have to avoid hitting them.

Yes, this has been bugging me since the implementation of terrain scatter. I think a system like this would encourage more careful picking of landing spots and careful driving of rovers.

Same with terrain scatter. They should be immobile and unaffected by physics like the ksc buildings, but should also be solid so you have to avoid hitting them.

If they are solid then there's physics involved, unless you want to go through your base you need physics.

why would? if you dont know how physics works...? ehhh. kinematic objects works like rocks. they are there az phyisical objects, can be hit but they will not move or break. if something hit it, it will bounce down, but they count only as 1 single object, and calculations are made on it like on 1 single object...

Considering you said specifically only to activate physics when it's a strong hit...

Essentially you would get a result much like what happens with time warp, you go through other ships.

The rocks in ksp aren't solid.

"Physics" isn't the same as "moving craft" - you don't need to work anything out until something intersects it's collision box - if it's static then so is it's collision shape - and then that's just like hitting the ground in terms of how likely an intersection is and whether you'll go through it. Static objects need as much processing as the planet surface does until there's an actual collision, which doesn't include working out where each piece of it is and what forces are applied to it every frame. At a collision you might as well unanchor it again and let the existing vehicle code deal with it.

Considering you said specifically only to activate physics when it's a strong hit...

Essentially you would get a result much like what happens with time warp, you go through other ships.

The rocks in ksp aren't solid.

nope, i've said this "make them rigid (kinematic) until it gets a strong physical hit"...

kinematic means no gravity, no movement but it still has collision. it acts like a rock. a big one. you cant make it move, you can hit it and bounce off of it. if the hit is strong enough, set the rigidbody back to non-kinematic and run the physics on each part like on normal crafts... now that im thinking i might will try to make it once i will have a couple of free days. i dont know if its possible in ksp but i will give it a try...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.