Squadcast Summary (24/01/2015) - The Valentina Edition

BudgetHedgehog

Is Valentina going to be name of the default kerbonaut? So we have Jeb, Bill, Bob and Valentina? Or are we even going to have additional default kerbonaut? Are we going to get 4 kerb capsule so we can get all of them at one flight? Or do we have to pick and choose three out of four? I don't think Valentina is good name for default Kerbonaut, since Bill, Bob and Jeb aren't named after real well known ones. Or are they going to be renamed John, Alan and Yuri?

I am not opposed to having Valentina as a Kerbal name, but just put it into the random generator list and give another name for the (possibly?) default female Kerbal.

I'm afraid that 1.0 means no more save-breakings updates. And that would mean no procedural craters on other bodies than Mun and no new planets. Goodbye GP2... :(
Don't count on it.

In any case, there are things they can do to prevent such things breaking saves; new planets shouldn't break anything, really, anyway -- and adding procedural craters to a body that doesn't already have it requires that they merely insert a check for every craft upon loading it, to make sure it's not high above, or underneath, the new ground level. If it is, simply reset it to the new ground level.

There might be a few issues here and there, but for the most part it ought to be fine. :)

So the "Barn" is too unrealistic but not having clouds is fine?? Personally it could be an outhouse that the rockets come out of if that meant clouds over Kerbin, Laythe, Duna, Eve, and Jool. With the new launch effects it seems like there is a base model for them to be generated, hopefully this will happen but wasn't listed (It would be a nice surprise).

Clouds have never been in KSP so it'd be a new feature. The two beta updates have and are about expanding/fixing already existing systems (like aerodynamics). New features are something they intend to add in post 1.0 updates. If they'd do clouds I'd rather they couple it to a weather system of some sort instead of repeating everything that EVE already does now and later make it have an actual gameplay impact.

Clouds have never been in KSP so it'd be a new feature. The two beta updates have and are about expanding/fixing already existing systems (like aerodynamics). New features are something they intend to add in post 1.0 updates. If they'd do clouds I'd rather they couple it to a weather system of some sort instead of repeating everything that EVE already does now and later make it have an actual gameplay impact.

Honestly weather does not need to be in the game, but clouds do to give the planets some life once in space. It doesn't have to be EvE style at all, but it also should not be something that is overly complex as weather patterns. For people to be more focused on the barn, something they look at for about a minute or 2, vs what they see from orbit for longer periods of time makes no sense at all.

I know, but I came to KSP because it was realistic and different from all the other space games and I'm sure at least 70% of the people who play it are the same

I and the two other people I know personally are drawn to KSP because it is realistic but wrapped in fun, childish whimsy. So out of the four of us, only 25% of people agree with you ;)

On hard, it takes going to both Mun and Minmus for me to have enough money to get everything up to tier 2, which still leaves interplanetary fairly difficult (mostly the mass limit.)

Not sure how that fits in this thread but it sounds like something a "Hard" mode should do.

I'd have called this update a beta and then made the beautification pass the 1.0 release.

Me too. I've a feeling this is something I'm going to be saying a lot from now on. :-/

I'd have called this update a beta and then made the beautification pass the 1.0 release.

Hear hear! New features now, bugfixing and beautification for a true 1.0, and it would still feel like we got a shiny new game, only it would be a stable one too!

Rune. Hopefully giving time for Unity 5 to come out.

Is Valentina going to be name of the default kerbonaut? So we have Jeb, Bill, Bob and Valentina? Or are we even going to have additional default kerbonaut? Are we going to get 4 kerb capsule so we can get all of them at one flight? Or do we have to pick and choose three out of four? I don't think Valentina is good name for default Kerbonaut, since Bill, Bob and Jeb aren't named after real well known ones. Or are they going to be renamed John, Alan and Yuri?

I am not opposed to having Valentina as a Kerbal name, but just put it into the random generator list and give another name for the (possibly?) default female Kerbal.

"The"? Three and three: Josefina, Belinda and Roberta.

They said they call her Val, so maybe Val, Bill, Bob, and Jebediah.

STS-1 included Robert Crippen, who goes by Bob. That's who I always assumed Bob was named for.

There have been several Bills… none leapt to mind though.

Where can I watch this squadcast?

On Twitch here :)

EDIT: Twitch is.. a little weird. To find all past broadcasts, you need to go to the KSPTV profile page and then on Past Broadcasts. Everything's listed there. I wish Squad would make a little clearer or easier to find, or put them on Youtube afterwards as well or something.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

STS-1 included Robert Crippen, who goes by Bob. That's who I always assumed Bob was named for.

Senator Bill Nelson of Florida flew on the Space Shuttle in 1986.

AT35mFR.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Nelson#Spaceflight

Edited by GusTurbo

I think they just went with redneck names. Billy-Bob is probably the most redneck name you can find. That's probably how they came up with Bill and Bob.

I'm torn on ISRU, at least until I know more. If we can harvest resources anywhere, it's a bit too easy, and gamebreaking if we can harvest on Kerbin, particularly if we can create xenon. But I also don't want super complicated resource trees. Still, yay!

Although I wonder if we will get proximity fueling for ground bases or KAS like pipes.

I'm torn on ISRU, at least until I know more. If we can harvest resources anywhere, it's a bit too easy, and gamebreaking if we can harvest on Kerbin, particularly if we can create xenon. But I also don't want super complicated resource trees. Still, yay!

Although I wonder if we will get proximity fueling for ground bases or KAS like pipes.

You know? I totally forgot about KAS. Without it, land refueling is a difficult thing indeed, and it is awesome in general. Plus, another thing for engineers to learn to do at level four. Scientists, I assume, will give yet moar Science! Warp-to as an ability for pilots?

Rune. I guess I always install KAS the second I install kethane. ^^'

On Twitch here :)

EDIT: Twitch is.. a little weird. To find all past broadcasts, you need to go to the KSPTV profile page and then on Past Broadcasts. Everything's listed there. I wish Squad would make a little clearer or easier to find, or put them on Youtube afterwards as well or something.

Or just make a Youtube page and upload them to that, it would make life so much easier to watch and find. :confused: I know crazy talk though....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.