Halp! Achieving orbit without running out of fuel

Hi! I'm very new to the game, only had it for a couple of days, and I'm experiencing some troubles regarding fuel.

I've attained some stable orbits around Kerbin and even reached -as in "crashed into"- the Mun (before knowing about maneuver nodes.. yeah, was fun but 2/10 would never again).

But I never end up with enough to burn in retrograde. I also do not know how to ¿rescue? (I don't know the term for that, sorry) my kerbals, so they're currently lost in orbit! :(

So are are there any tips I should know about this? Maybe a tutorial that'll teach me how to be efficient enough?

Please, halp. If you won't do it for me, do it for the kerbals! :)

Edited by Sempius

For a start point the rocket directly up until at least 15 km and maybe 20 km (screw what Scott Manley says) high and then start turning right. Aim to not orbit higher than 80 km because then you've just used more fuel than necessary. Read http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Basic_maneuvers and aim for the speeds given at the altitudes given (don't exceed terminal velocity by too much).

You need at least ~4700 deltaV to reach an orbit of 80 km. Out of stock KSP doesn't show you any of this value. The Addon Kerbal Engineer provides this data while building your rocket. If you want to stay vanilla, you have to trial and error but it is very hard later on and could be annoying running out of fuel just before you hit the ground on Duna (happens anyway with using Kerbal Engineer)

Look in the tutorials section for manoeuvres and orbiting. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/28352-The-Drawing-Board-A-library-of-tutorials-and-other-useful-information

Read mine for vehicles to do it with.

This.

And also, you can figure out your vehicle's delta-v and even learn how to design your vehicle to have the required delta-v. You don't necessarily need add-ons or trial-and-error to do it. That's also covered in the tutorials.

Best,

-Slashy

I've attained some stable orbits around Kerbin and even reached -as in "crashed into"- the Mun (before knowing about maneuver nodes.. yeah, was fun but 2/10 would never again).

You may not like it, but that's baislcy how all first attempts go. The fact that you reached it at all is a good first start.

A good first start would be a Mun flyby. Costs less fuel, and gives you a feel of what it takes. Than, you go to the Mun, get in orbit, and go back to Kerbal. Gives you another feel for how much it takes.

After you mastered that, try a landing

Build this early Career orbiter. (Goo canisters optional) Tweak the SRBs to 80%. Launch. Start the orbital turn gradually when you have staged the SRBs, should be about 10,000+ meters. Use the Navball in orbit mode as a guide start following the pro-grade marker. You should be about 45 degrees at about 30,000 meters. Shut down at about 80,000 meters and coast until 25 seconds to apogee. Have your ship aimed to the horizon by the time you reach the 25 second mark. Throttle up to burn for orbital speed. You will have to stage just before you reach that speed. A small burn will complete orbit.

FhIv6fn.jpg

4Dz3HUv.jpg

In short, making an efficient orbit will take practice.

BTY, this ship, even with goo canisters, is fully capable of a Mun flyby and return to an aerobraking landing.

vCqMQ3H.jpg

The Figure Eight maneuver. Difficult to set up but a guaranteed safe return to a Kerbal landing.

2h4i4jB.jpg

Edited by SRV Ron

Thanks a lot for all the replies! I usually look for answers already available in the forums before asking but I've somehow managed to completely miss the "tutorials" sub forum.

Thanks for all the links too, Jeb will now be saved!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.