[Stock Helicopters & Turboprops] Non DLC Will Always Be More Fun!

Azimech

Okay, thanks, I wanna try make a spinning propellor, which I have no clue how I'm going to do as all of my bearings since that centrifuge haven't worked.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: Propellor without engines.

Usually use octagonal. Struts, FlipNascar has a couple, you probably want his high g one

Looks like we have a new helicopter design!

5gNxf29.jpg

fP57SZB.jpg

P7jYOil.jpg

Flies like a pig if you tilt forward but that's a known issue with different amounts of lift moving over the rotor blades. Also using infinite fuel but it's still in the testing phase. This one is only 146 parts. I think a co-axial version of this is easily doable or maybe a Chinook design. As it's a double ended bearing design I should be able to just flip the whole assembly upside down for a rotor that runs in reverse. Thank goodness for the infinite offset mod! :D

- - - Updated - - -

In fact, I've just tried it. Hardly any effort at all!

6zWjHSg.jpg

Flies really well, maybe a bit sluggish. 243 parts and quite compact for a co-axle design. About 38 tons. No fuel on it yet.

Let me know if you want the download.

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind. Here's the download.

• 1 month later...

With the release of 1.0.5 it looks like the turboshaft design is once again dead. At least until someone can figure out how to get them working with the new changes. It also seems, that only the Wheasley and the new Huge turbofan engines can be used to make them. the other engines almost instantly cause the parts to heat up and explode... :\ Even the new little guy...

So it looks like using the engines as "blowers" for spinning a stock propeller is on hold once again... ;.;

Looks like we're back in business! :D

I replaced my engines on the Turbine VTOL saucer with Panthers and it works great. I couldn't detect any over heating, (maybe a negligible amount), and that was even with afterburners, (it flies with and without afterburners). They're probably better than the Weasleys as they are 1.2 tons instead of 1.5.

Yay \o/

vWU2KVN.jpg

Edited by Redshift OTF

Awesome!

Noticed any problems with air intake? Yesterday I noticed when testing my aircraft carrier, I needed 3 or 4 air intakes for every wheesley.

The only issue I had was they didn't work. XD Well, what I mean is I had them clipped on the back of the engines and they cut off the fuel flow due to the jets now obeying no fuel cross-feed on certain parts rules. I just stuck them in the fuel tanks and they work without issue. I even reduced the number of them by half as I didn't need that many to begin with on the old design. Basically, I have 1 standard intake for every 2 Panthers and didn't notice any issues.

Well, this might not be a turbo shaft engine setup, but I just got a Juno powered tipjet Heli going in 1.05. The Heli its self is not all that great, barely capable of moving any direction but up, but the little bearing has proven quite tough. Uses a mk0 liquid fuel fuselage for it's central core(which spins surprisingly smoothly) and the 0.625m ---> 1.25m adaptors for the end caps. And the wheels are just the steerable small landing gear.
[IMG]http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p685/Jakalth/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/jak115tripwire1_zpsnrvthlxo.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p685/Jakalth/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/jak115tripwirebearing1_zpsfqtqh46p.jpg[/IMG]

Now if we could only get some blowers to spin the bearing instead of using tipjets, this might end up being a much better design.

:Edit: Kind of like this actually.
[IMG]http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p685/Jakalth/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/12cyljunoblowerturbine1_zpslbteyr1h.jpg[/IMG]

It's got 12 Junos pushing against a turbine made of 8 radial mount radiators. It weights a total of 9.5 tons. It can run at full throttle for extended periods of time. Its pretty tough and can handle some high rpms. It's fairly small, around the size of a rockomax fuel tank. But... It's not very powerful, has sadly little torque... But like Redshift OFT, it does work. Although his design is still far more effective.

Found a few tricks that allow it to work.
1: the farther the engines are from the blades, the less they heat the blades.
2: Radiators are good for cooling the blades, heck, they actually make pretty decent blades themselves.
3: 3 Juno's push as hard as 1 Panther, in terms of turning a turbine blade. But the 3 juno's are easier to manage their heat then the Panther. Edited by Jakalth

[quote name='Jakalth']Well, this might not be a turbo shaft engine setup, but I just got a Juno powered tipjet Heli going in 1.05. The Heli its self is not all that great, barely capable of moving any direction but up, but the little bearing has proven quite tough. Uses a mk0 liquid fuel fuselage for it's central core(which spins surprisingly smoothly) and the 0.625m ---> 1.25m adaptors for the end caps. And the wheels are just the steerable small landing gear.
[url]http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p685/Jakalth/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/jak115tripwire1_zpsnrvthlxo.jpg[/url] [url]http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p685/Jakalth/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/jak115tripwirebearing1_zpsfqtqh46p.jpg[/url]

Now if we could only get some blowers to spin the bearing instead of using tipjets, this might end up being a much better design.

:Edit: Kind of like this actually.
[url]http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p685/Jakalth/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/12cyljunoblowerturbine1_zpslbteyr1h.jpg[/url]

It's got 12 Junos pushing against a turbine made of 8 radial mount radiators. It weights a total of 9.5 tons. It can run at full throttle for extended periods of time. Its pretty tough and can handle some high rpms. It's fairly small, around the size of a rockomax fuel tank. But... It's not very powerful, has sadly little torque... But like Redshift OFT, it does work. Although his design is still far more effective.

Found a few tricks that allow it to work.
1: the farther the engines are from the blades, the less they heat the blades.
2: Radiators are good for cooling the blades, heck, they actually make pretty decent blades themselves.
3: 3 Juno's push as hard as 1 Panther, in terms of turning a turbine blade. But the 3 juno's are easier to manage their heat then the Panther.[/QUOTE]

That is awesome man. And that design will always be 'better' than the 'turbo props' or waterwheels as I call them.
You will get better thrust and efficiency. Boring as efficiency is..

Not to take anything away from Azimech, he was the first to post a 'turbofan' craft on the forum. Edited by Majorjim

Not exactly, while there is loss in the transmission, the mass on the rotors makes for very problematic control. And because jets/rockets on rotors were never a success in real life, I wanted something else (and with normal throttle control).

And while you're correct, they're essentially waterwheels, this is just a learning period. One day we'll have fluid dynamics (we'll make sure of this) and some of us will be on the forefront designing turbopumps for rocket engines, real jet engines and turboshafts.

[quote name='Azimech']Not exactly, while there is loss in the transmission, the mass on the rotors makes for very problematic control. And because jets/rockets on rotors were never a success in real life, I wanted something else (and with normal throttle control).

And while you're correct, they're essentially waterwheels, this is just a learning period. One day we'll have fluid dynamics (we'll make sure of this) and some of us will be on the forefront designing turbopumps for rocket engines, real jet engines and turboshafts.[/QUOTE]

I didn't want to take anything away from your accomplishment Azi. You have made some very impressive machines using stock parts and I am a fan of complex solutions to what could be simple problems, ie, using mods.

I just say it as I see it. I find it hard to express myself correctly with text. I hope it did not seem too rude. I communicate far better face to face.. :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.