Eliminate Science Mode

I am suggesting that sandbox mode include two options:

1-"Start with unlocked techs"

Option on still allows visiting the RD center to review science collected. Option off treats sandbox as the current science mode game.

2 - "Start with untrained kerbals"

Option off allows kerbal training.

With these options, science mode can be eliminated and sandbox mode could have more depth. Career mode will still be the more challenging game for more experienced players.

Actually I'd rather have either Sandbox (where everything is unlocked) and career (where everything has checkboxes). Then you'd select career and pick what you want to have to do. Train Kerbals, collect money, collect science, whatever. If you check it (and everything should be checked to start then you have to gain it after starting with either none or a little. If you uncheck everything, the game is functionally similar to Sandbox.

...which would make Sandbox not necessary. Maybe just as a button. Or a series of buttons "Full Career" "Classic Science" and "Sandbox" modes. And a "custom" as well of course :)

I'd love to have an option to customize career. I like the Kerbal classes, a modded tech tree, and reputation. I'm just not a fan of the current contract system. Adding a simplified budget to Sandbox would be nice as well. I've been playing with a self enforced periodic budget for a while, and I've really enjoyed it.

It is kind of possible to do this already, with .sfs editing, but it's not easy, and buggy. I too would like heavily customizable career, I enjoy sandbox w/ R&D center. Other people may want sandbox with funds and rep, in a game about building custom rockets, you should be able to play how you want.

How about career (start from barn) / custom (all settings have a checkbox, including a sandbox option that overrides all above)

The good thing is, it automatically support future features.

New resource? Just add an option in custom mode

New kerbal skill tree? Another checkbox

Infinite universe mode? One more slider

War & weapons & FPS? ONE MORE button, that's it

I definitely support a customizable sandbox mode. I want to play Sandbox mode but still see my Science archive, it would be great for all those completionists who don't enjoy career mode as much as Sandbox mode. You can still do this with cheats by giving yourself tonnes of Science in the save files but it would be nice to have an option. Similarly I'd like to try and complete all the contracts without the burden of limited Money and Science.

I think that having the two selectable game types with the options recommended would give the most intuitive options for creating a greater variety of game types for a diverse set of play styles.

I think this would be a better approach than one game type with a large set of options.

Based on the feedback I would add to the original suggestions "unlimited funds" for career and "no stock craft" to sandbox.

Although eliminating science mode from the main menu, it would be equivalent to sandbox with "unlock all techs" off, "no stock craft" on, and "start with untrained kerbals" off.

Why 'eliminate' something that has already been done? If it's already there - let it be there.

I'm recommending eliminating it to improve the options available to players that play sandbox and science mode. If you would be more comfortable leaving it there because it is there, then the better options could be added to science mode.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.