IVA Chatter?

Vladthemad

Hey all. I was just playing KSP, heavily modded of course, and while in IVA during liftoff to monkey with RPM I actually heard the kerbals chattering amongst themselves. One was reading off the height, and there was other stuff but I couldn't make it out because of the sound of the engines. To be honest at first I thought it was someone talking to me (I use headphones) and it kind of freaked me out. I live alone! :o

Is this stock? I'm not using chatterer, or any other mod that would add something like this that I'm aware of, and never heard this before.

^ This. Kerbals do not speak except for in the career missions building Gene Kerman makes strange sounds.

They also mumble in the background of the personnel building, in the videos, etc.; but that's besides the point. ;) Sometimes I do want to poke Gene with a stick to get him to stop moaning all over the contracts though.

I thought maybe it was something Squad slipped in with .90, but by the incredulous reactions here I'll assume it wasn't! Hmm, I'll need to figure out what mod sneaked this in. Was a nice, if surprising addition.

Edit: Welp, a simple *.wav search in the game directory found the culprit. It's part of the ASET props/ALCOR mod. Nice addition, but not sure when they slid that in there as I've used that can for awhile now.

Edited by Vladthemad

Let me clarify, mostly for your amusement.

It wasn't so much hearing voices specifically talking while poking around in the VAB or sitting quietly on the launchpad as it was hearing *something* besides the usual monotonous deafening roar of my rockets. After a lengthy amount of play, I'm sure you all know the sound of the rockets in this game as well as I do, so when something is different, even if very subtle you'll notice it.

It was muffled and quiet, barely audible over the sound of the engines, which led to the whole "what the heck WAS that!" moment. I took my headphones off and paused the game, looked around and nothing. Unpaused and a few moments later there it was again. Pause, get up, look around the house, make sure the dog isn't squeaking toys or getting into something that would explain odd noises, still nothing. Sit back down, unpause, hear again. Ok now I know I heard something and it must be coming from the game. Go to exterior view, nothing, go back to IVA with a different kerbal and actually make out a kerbalish voice reading out the alt as I'm climbing among a few random other cockpit noises I hadn't heard before. :)

Damn modders sneaking things in...reminds me when I started the game up to have this happen:

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/558765675243149689/C574ECC8DA32C90356F7EC28E5E648C12684B4E1/

Let me clarify, mostly for your amusement.

It wasn't so much hearing voices specifically talking while poking around in the VAB or sitting quietly on the launchpad as it was hearing *something* besides the usual monotonous deafening roar of my rockets. After a lengthy amount of play, I'm sure you all know the sound of the rockets in this game as well as I do, so when something is different, even if very subtle you'll notice it.

It was muffled and quiet, barely audible over the sound of the engines, which led to the whole "what the heck WAS that!" moment. I took my headphones off and paused the game, looked around and nothing. Unpaused and a few moments later there it was again. Pause, get up, look around the house, make sure the dog isn't squeaking toys or getting into something that would explain odd noises, still nothing. Sit back down, unpause, hear again. Ok now I know I heard something and it must be coming from the game. Go to exterior view, nothing, go back to IVA with a different kerbal and actually make out a kerbalish voice reading out the alt as I'm climbing among a few random other cockpit noises I hadn't heard before. :)

Damn modders sneaking things in...reminds me when I started the game up to have this happen:

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/558765675243149689/C574ECC8DA32C90356F7EC28E5E648C12684B4E1/

Do you perchance use Astronomers Visual Pack? I noticed they snuck a few interesting things that weren't there before into chatterer.

I remember seeing the Kerbal's face zoom by and thinking, "What the hell was that?" I still can't figure out what mod that was. I used to have so many. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.