Have you had weird encounter phenomena as well?

ShadowZone

So here's the thing: While doing my Jool-5 mission, I had a nice Tylo encounter. Suddenly while approaching the moon, the encounter kind of disappeared or rather changed in such a way that the periapsis was inside the moon. I corrected. It happended again. And again. About 5 oder 6 times till I was finally in the SOI. Has anyone of you encountered (ha ha) the same problem? Any idea why that is? Is there a way to anticipate this or prevent it?

The problems start at about 15 to 16 min into the video.

Well my first thought would be some phantom forces going on. That ship is rather large and complicated. you can sometimes get a ship assembled in such a way that the physics starts tweeking out and you get minor, or sometimes major acceleration for no reason (kraken drives try to harness this) It could also be just the patched conics going weird too. Looked like a marginal encounter with tylo catching up to your ship. Good for a nice efficent insertion burn but it can mess with the conics as its not sure if your hiting or missing the SOI. A slight nudge either way and you either miss the SOI or end up comeing in from a different spot mucking up the final orbit and large ships wobbleing tend to make the orbits wobble a bit although normaly that straitens out in timewarp.

That said I've never seen exactly what I saw in that video so cant be sure what caused it. The fact that it kept jumping the predicted orbit to the same general area, well away from where it should have been indicates something screwy going on and I'm not sure what.

Yes, though it's been a while and I was starting to hopefully suspect that they'd fixed it.

There seems to be some weird effect (Not sure if it's a force per se. It always seems to affect the the periapsis of your next encounter and it always seems to make it go down. I've never observed it go up or normal, just inward).

The easiest way to fix it is to reload. IIRC f5/f9 doesn't work but going back to the space center and coming back to your ship does, but I'd try F5/F9 first. As I said, it's been a while and I don't remember the fix off the top of my head.

Yeah, I've had phantom acceleration before. It's very annoying to see your orbit still changing when you've stopped burning. Quicksaving and reloading usually fixes it. Sometimes I'll quickload from a quicksave and be accelerating to no end. I've particularly noticed gradual periapsis/apoapsis changes when orbiting close to the sun, the closer you are the faster the changes, and I've considered making a thread on it, but seeing as how getting into orbits around the sun that bring you very close are tedious to achieve in the first place, it's a minor problem. Plus, you're already whipping around the sun at very high speeds for KSP, so you'd expect weird things to start happening.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.