Itty Bitty Aeroplanes!

A warm-up attempt...

screenshot447_zps4a9y6chw.png

screenshot437_zpszfcrdw7w.jpg

52pts for distance travelled, 1pt for crew, 100pts for entry, -29pts mass, -35pts height, -43pts width, -56pts length.

-10pts total. As I said, more to come. :D

(probably an "add a battery and fly sensibly" run up next...)

Annotated flight test at http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/craigmotbey/Kerbal/Challenges/Microplane/story

Craft file at https://www.dropbox.com/s/adsrjzmtdoihrwe/Kerbodyne%20Nano.craft?dl=0

Take 2:

screenshot448_zpsyjymo2n3.jpg

screenshot457_zpsse3bjhyw.jpg

screenshot478_zpss2fo9mzo.jpg

screenshot483_zpsziiilvth.jpg

--

Weight: -35pts

Height: -35pts

Length: -55pts

Width: -43pts

Entry: + 100pts

Kerbal: +1pt

Distance: Circumnavigated Kerbin, 3,769pts

Total: 3,702pts

All stock parts, FAR aero.

Annotated flight at http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/craigmotbey/Kerbal/Challenges/Microplane/Take%202/story

Edited by Wanderfound

Single Ion engine + solar panels seems to be the way to go for stock parts, almost made it to the 1000 km mark :D

Javascript is disabled. View full album

+997 km

+1 Kerbal

-36 Parts

-9 Mass

-18 Height

-36 Width

-41 Length

= 958

I flew a pretty random course alternating directions between north-west and south-west to keep under the sun. Ended up at the KSC2 site after fuel ran out. The tiny rover wheels are useless as landing gear, they broke on take off and left me with no real chance to land safely. There were no survivors.

But that isn't strictly necessary to enter into the competition right? :P

So here is my entry for the stock scoreboard

Plane: Bee18 Hornet X3 (thanks to RED5 for the inspiration)

Parts : 37

Mass: 2.5t

Height : 2.8m

Width : 3.3m

Length: 4.9m

max feul 65 unites LF

That is -172 points

i travled 7011km at max speed of 2081 m/s with a max altitude of around 40km

crusing speed was around 2000 m/s at 33km

that should be 6940 points O_O

also maxmum safety for the pilot is given with the Rocketseat "Fly by Fire mk2"

if upgraded with oxidizer this craft might be able to get to Munar Orbit

here is a imgur gallery of the flight

http://imgur.com/a/xBFOr#0

i might upload the craft file tomorrow if requested

Cheers!

I'd like to enter a solar plane using electric propellers. Too slow to keep up with the sun on the equator, it can still fly indefinitely on highter latitudes. It features lots of unnecessary complexity, since flying a few extra kilometers gives more points for the time spent than starting all over in the SPH. I only turned all the solar panels to the left to get more sun. Which actually did more harm than good because on the way north the sun was to the right and poor Jeb had to fly the first part of the journey upside-down. Built for duna, it is quite twitchy, but after some fiddling with mechjeb's pid-settings it flies stable enough for 3x time warp, and did fly for hours on its own.

http://imgur.com/Tg46nUq

http://imgur.com/Az3B3Fh

Technically I didn't succeed to fly it as far as I can, since this would take infinite time, hope it is still a valid entry...

There are lots of mod parts, for the challenge only the electric USI-fans and mechjeb were used. Unfortunately, the flight log seems to reset on quickload, so I lost quite some way from yesterday evening. I'll take the displayed number because in this case the distance is arbitrary anyway.

Score:

100 enter the challenge

1 kerbal

5000 km

-46 too complex!

-36 heavy!

-47 too long!

-81 too wide!

-16 too tall!

-------------

PS: by the way, the score is totally not a covered advertisement for the cute little rocket engine on the back of the plane...

Edited by pellinor0

My inspiration: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutan_VariEze

And the result:

As for scoring:

1 Kerbal, completed the challenge, flew a very long way = 100 + 1 + 2466 = 2567

Mass, width, height, length, complexity = -1*(28 + 33 + 154 + 85 + 33) = -333

Total score: 2234 points

And all that on just 1 little tank of 100 units of fuel and a single prop without leaving the athmosphere. It takes off at 20m/s or so, it doesn't even reach the first pedestrian crossing on the runway (the stripes, I've no idea what else to call them) because it can take off before that, practically instant. Wanna take it out for a spin? Craft file (requires B9, Firespitter and mechjeb, cuz I'm too lazy to go take it off and re-save it)

I'll enter an ion plane I quickly threw together, it's called the "Flamingo" for its one wheel. Had a bit of a crash landing because brakes and only one wheel don't mix well, but Jeb survived.

0.6 tons

0.9 tall

2.5 wide

2.8 long

18 parts

1 kerbal

flew 119 km.

total score: 134

Edited by sdj64
forgot the score for the Kerbal, forgot to subtract the height

First Challenge ive done in over a year. :)

The Fly.

Distance traveled . 1,292.124M Kinda just flew a large circle.

Parts:14

Mass:5.0t

Height: 3.9m

Width:7.4

Length: 5.5m

82D8E1967A261E51E354C8A071F44C55CB37E1FE

5D7E83F633A4265B4E02FE17270367E36E3B6DBF

05108138263F480F8B6EB9F92E5429F8B7B7FF65

Just want to say Thanks for the Challenge! That is what makes KSP for me. There will always be new challenges !

Side note: some freeky stunts flyin over the pole. Weeee!:cool:

Edited by sal_vager

[TABLE=class: cms_table, width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]Enter the challenge

222 kilometres

passenger

Weight 2.4 tonns

Size 1.7/4.1/3.9

áomplexity - 8 parts

Summary[/TD]

[TD]100 Points

222 Points

1 Point

-24 Points

-97 Points

-8 Points

194 Points[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

REtklao.jpg

tp0F6PU.jpg

This plane was not designed for this contest, why the results are not very high

fH3qf8H.jpg

So, since there is a Cheater McCheatypants scoreboard, I have to point out some inconsistencies in one of the entries.

Now, I'm no rocket scientist, but my calculations show that for the Bee18 Hornet X3 to travel 7011 km in 38min and 24sec (2nd panel in poster's imgur gallery) the poster would have needed an average speed of 3042 m/s. The Flight Results panel shows Highest Speed Over Land as 2083 m/s.

Perhaps that poster could point out where I'm mistaken.

On another note, the Ground Distance Covered shown in the Flight Results appears to be incorrect. I did a circumnavigation and the panel showed 2845 km rather than the 3769.9 dictated by geometry. After two circumnavigations, it showed 5815 km. Maybe it has to do with changing reference frames.

Anyway, I completed three circuits and then attempted to land but crashed hard due to the 'throw things together quickly' method of engineering used.

Seems to me your scoring system is weighted to distance more than size, but I could be wrong.

My entry - the Itty Bitty, isn't all that small.

2jnJ2ns.png?1

Height 4.1 m

Width 4.3 m

Length 4.9 m

Mass 2.9 t

Parts 13

Score -175

Enter Challenge 100

One Kerbal 1

Score is now at -74

Three circumnavigations is 11309 km so...

Score 11235

I had enough fuel to do at least 20 more circuits of Kerbin for a potential score of 86633.

Thanks, Sal! It was, of course, lots of fun.

Happy landings!

[EDIT] Here's a pic of the Flight Results panel after circumnavigating Kerbin twice.

4qbVYht.png?1

Edited by Starhawk
Added pic

Nice entries Fenya and Starhawk :)

I admit this challenge has turned out to be geared more for long distance rather than size, and I can fix that for next time but I'm not the sort to go changing rules part-way though and spoil anyone's fun, If I had we'd not have seen just how far such small craft as those presented here could really be made to go.

Restrictions can take the fun out of things, keep it simple, that's the key :)

As for Tank, he was trying for a while in IRC and his craft looks like it can do it, though you'll notice that for his entry and your own, the highest speed achieved is strangely only 750m/s so I think there's a few bugs in the flight log, and his last pic shows an elapsed time of zero so he must have left the scene and returned.

It's also possible his total MET was 1 day, 0 hours 38 minutes and 24 seconds, but I doubt that, I'll ask him about it ;)

Edit:

Something is afoot!

Edited by sal_vager

keep it simple, that's the key

Words to live by!

It's all good. I had fun and I'm not here to step on anybody's fun. :)

his last pic shows an elapsed time of zero

Oh. I thought it said 40:00.

highest speed achieved is strangely only 750m/s so I think there's a few bugs in the flight log

Yeah, while the Highest Speed Over Land shown is 2186 m/s which would be about right if that was ground relative speed. I may have to dig around the forums or do some experiments regarding the flight log.

Thanks again.

Nice aeroplane Batz_10K, if you show me the craft stats in the editor or the map and the F3 flight results I can work out your score, total distance travelled is fine :)

Here you go:

25 parts, 1.7m high, 4.1m wide, 3.5m. Flight distance 5km

JSOwaDb.jpg