KSP 1.0 General Thread + All the new features

Daze

I want to make a thread with all the possible news that will come with 1.0, tell me if i forget something and i will add it to the first post!

Confirmed:

*Overhaul of aerodynamic model

*Re-entry heat

*Resources from planets and asteroid

*Female Kerbals

*Realistic ISP (Thrust will change with pressure and not fuel consumption)

*A LOT of fix to balance the whole game

*New bigger landing gear

*New bigger wings

*Engineer report (dV and pre flight check in)

*Procedural fairings

*Heatshield as separate part

*Time warp to Manuever Node/AP/PE/whatever

*Changed the chase cam

*Changed docking mode input

*There will be mach effect (not only aesthetic)

*Infiniglide fixed thanks to the new aero

*Part inside cargo bay and fairings will be shielded

*New ability for the crew members

*Better Tutorials

*New Demo

*Re-modeled spacesuit

*Change fuel flow logic to prevent asymmetric flameout and to make fuel to drain from tanks in the stage evenly

*New SPH/VAB GUI to help with the aerodynamic stability of the craft (a simplified version of the graphics in FAR)

*New filter for VAB/SPH

*Audio overhaul for the UI

*Kerbals will be now able to climb edge without ladders

*New animations for EVA

*New trailer for 1.0

*Since 1.0 all the engine will have a nickname like the actual Skipper, Mainsail, etc. (In example the new name for 909 will be "Terrier")

*Improved joystick mapping configuration

*IVAs for every crewable part of the game

*Loading screen will have tips to help new players

*New contracts like the one for space tourism

*New ESA flags

*New Tech tree

*3D Printing of our craft

*Kerbals now cost Funds to Hire from the Astronaut Complex

*TrackIR Support Added

*Camera Wobble added

Maybe:

*New parachute to fit aero overhaul

*Maybe new way on how Reaction Wheels should works

*Fairings will work as heatshield

*Barn is back as Tier 0 Space Center

*???

Edited by Daze

In the mk3 cockpit description, it says the IVA is still in customs, or something like that. So we pretty much know we are getting that. I think Squad is going to have an issue of too many assets and too little RAM, while at the same time pulling 64-bit on Windows. Which will critics hate more, unfinished assets or a game that won't even load due to memory usage?

In the mk3 cockpit description, it says the IVA is still in customs, or something like that. So we pretty much know we are getting that. I think Squad is going to have an issue of too many assets and too little RAM, while at the same time pulling 64-bit on Windows. Which will critics hate more, unfinished assets or a game that won't even load due to memory usage?

They have said that they will be doing optimizations. That is the only choice as Windows 64-bit KSP is dead, has been dead. I realize that there are many win 64 KSP people who refuse to admit it but that horse has been beaten to death and good riddance.

For the OP, Squad has said that many "long standing" bugs have been squashed as well. So 1.0 is a confirmed bug killing release also.

Full releases don't have placeholder graphics. I think it's safe to assume we'll get our IVAs.

I wouldn't say it's SAFE. It would be .. reasonable to assume such a thing...but NOT reasonable to be totally and completely caught by surprise when the Mk1 inline has no IVA for the fifteenth year in a row...

Kappa?

Squad: IVAs Soonâ„¢. Kappa

;)

They have said that they will be doing optimizations. That is the only choice as Windows 64-bit KSP is dead, has been dead. I realize that there are many win 64 KSP people who refuse to admit it but that horse has been beaten to death and good riddance.

I'm certain they'll be bringing it back if they think it's stable enough. It's not that they're opposed to the concept, just that the current series of Win64 releases aren't working out with the Unity 4 for whatever reason.

I applaud Squad for at least trying. They probably should have put some big red signs and warning klaxons on it as people seemed to ignore the experimental disclaimer.. but at least they gave it a shot.

Ack I'm being nice to Squad! I mean, they shouldn't have chosen Unity to begin with! #programmingdirectlyontopofOpenGLorbust!

Edited by Renegrade

Didn't they say in one of their dev newsletters about something that you can use to test your crafts aerodynamic performance before launch? From the way it was described, it's sort of like the one FAR has, just easier to understand.

Not sure if it's going to be a function of kerbal engineer or its own thing.

Thank you, I was waiting for someone to do this, I just didn't want to do it (maintain it) myself.

Add to the list Input Configuration overhaul.

Added! If you guys have more rumours/confirmed news that i forgot tell me :)

Found it. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/325-Overhauled-Aerodynamics, last part of the design difficulties section: "however, so the plan here is to come up with an improved UI for the SPH, where a more useful overlay will display this information for you in a way which will (hopefully) be clear enough to help you construct a decently stable craft without relying on excessive trial and error."

I'm not sure whether that is one of Kerbal Engineers functions or not, it might be. The next paragraph down from the one I quoted is definetly talking about Kerbal Engineer.

Or maybe it's an UI overhaul rather than a tool.

Edited by smjjames

- Loading screens will have little general tips (like "going straight up will not get you to orbit" kind of thing).

- Failure state for career (as in, you will be able to actually lose and not recover your space program).

- Kerbal climber feature - kerbals will be able to climb over edges and small ledges, like at the top of a ladder.

- Tourism Contract.

- New sounds, like a ding when a contract is completed. Basically, a more responsive game.

- The Barn Is Back.

Also, heatshields are more of a maybe than a confirmed. Re-entry heat will be added, that much we know, and certain parts will have a heatshield PartModule added (thinking of the Mk1 command pod here), but heatshields as a single part are a maybe and if they are, they'll be procedural too. Don't forget to add in 'huge amount of bugfixes' to confirmed too (or so we're told).

Don't forget that the tutorials are getting revamped. Sounds kinda neat - a bit late for me at this point though heh.

You know, an official list in the vein of this thread would be very handy.

Yes, yes it would.

The barn (starting) tier for career will be back with (hopefully and presumably) a lot of improvements.

It looks kinda.. low-poly. I actually like the concept (the art does need to be improved though), and the game really DOES need more than three levels for upgrades (it's a lot less "grindy" if it's in smaller steps).

I'm not a fan of dynamic loading, but the structures seem like a good candidate for that (how often will you need two tiers of the same structure on the screen at once, and how often do they change states? Answers: [uhh..upsidedown?]never and almost never[/uhh..upsidedown...].)

Edited by Renegrade

*Changed the chase cam and docking mode input

Not to nitpick, but this is two different things, chase cam has nothing to do with input configuration. Also, it's not just docking, only the last dev note was docking, in previous dev notes he mentioned he overhauled the axis configuration as well. I think it was 11 joysticks, 20 axes, and several bug fixes in it.

Also, I'm not sure if your counting this as part of the aero overhaul, but there is the new stability overlay in the VAB/SPH he talked about last week.

Loading screen tips were confirmed in Squadcast, not the biggest feature, but interesting.

New engine names were confirmed.

It was confirmed that Kerbals will be able climb over edges/ small ledges

Fuel will drain from tanks in the stage evenly

Edited by Alshain

Several additional features mentioned for 1.0

- mach and drag effects (beyond aesthetics)

- no more infiniglide

- proper cargobay shielding

- new pilot, scientist and engineer skills (including in-flight delta v readouts)

- tutorial overhaul (as mentioned above)

- new demo of sandbox, science and career mode

- new remodeled spacesuits

- even stage-based fuel drainage

- aerodynamic overlay UI (new SPH GUI displaying "air worthiness")

- "filter by cross-section" button in the editor

- "large" audio overhaul (buttons and UI)

- kerbal EVA ledge climbing logic update

- new EVA cinematics

- 1.0 cinematic trailer (supposed to be "fun" :))

- engine nicknames

- joystick input mapping optimisation

- new landing gear

- "IVAs for every crewable part of the game"

- docking UI overhaul (potentially)

Other

- kerbaledu update

- kerbal merchandising: T-shirts, toys etc

- forum upgrade to IPS 4

Edited by Yakuzi

I thought the ESA logos were in already? Some of them anyway.

- aerodynamic overlay ui (new sph gui displaying "air worthiness")

This is what I was talking about earlier but couldn't quite articulate it into a short summary. I wonder if they'll allow that to be used in the VAB as well though?

Not to nitpick, but this is two different things, chase cam has nothing to do with input configuration

Yes i know it was different but yesterday it was late and i forgot to split the two news :(

I will fix it and add new info of the Squadcadt as soon i return home :)