Flying Car: My Version

Flixxbeatz

While humans are just making concepts of it, the kerbals already had it. And perfected it. :cool:

Behold: The Flying Car.

OucUR7c.png

Flies like a plane, prowls the ground like a car. Handles like a dream. Fully stable.

Rover wheels for ground mobility. Landing wheels for taking off and landing.

Huge wings for stability and handling.

Made in a way that it can easily take off, without even taking 1/4 of the runway.

Monopropellant thrusters as reverser mechanism (shortens distance needed to stop after landing). Not yet installed during test flights.

ZVH3H1W.png

Video of it during maiden flight. Excuse my horrible runway landing skills.

It's cool... but when I think of flying cars, I think of the ones that I made (SHAMELESS PLUG WARNING!):

RDEqpBl.jpg

99Ofycm.jpg

In other words, you should probably build a car and then attach control surfaces until it flies, not build a plane and then attach rover wheels.

But I like the concept here, and I could easily see it working for excursion vehicles on Eve or Laythe. Not bad.

-Upsilon

It's cool... but when I think of flying cars, I think of the ones that I made (SHAMELESS PLUG WARNING!):

http://i.imgur.com/RDEqpBl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/99Ofycm.jpg

In other words, you should probably build a car and then attach control surfaces until it flies, not build a plane and then attach rover wheels.

But I like the concept here, and I could easily see it working for excursion vehicles on Eve or Laythe. Not bad.

-Upsilon

He's done a smart thing actually as craft like yours won't work after the new update..

He's done a smart thing actually as craft like yours won't work after the new update..

I will find a way to cheat the new aero system, just you wait. :wink:

...but in the meantime, I want to enjoy making unrealistic craft for as long as possible. After all, they're really fun and everyone seems to love them.

I will find a way to cheat the new aero system, just you wait. :wink:

...but in the meantime, I want to enjoy making unrealistic craft for as long as possible. After all, they're really fun and everyone seems to love them.

I love crazy craft like your car. Sadly any surface inside a part will not create lift after the 1.0 update.. You could have them as the undercarriage though. That may work after the update.

Did someone say flying car?

Here's my entry:

The ATFV: All Terrain Flying Vehicle. Scheduled for Lathee Surface Expedition 2.

I've driven/flown this thing from the KSC to the Island in Big Crater Bay. (halfway around Kerbin)

ATFV4.png

ATFV3.png

ATFV2.png

ATFV1.png

Docked to a refuel station.

Edited by Brainlord Mesomorph

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.