[KSP 1.4.5, 1.4.3, 1.2.2, 1.2.1, 1.2, 1.1.x, 1.0.x, 0.90 windows] true / exclusive fullscreen, shadowplay and gsync solution

1 hour ago, jazzkutya said:

fullscreen patcher updated for KSP 1.1.3

I just found this mod, and it has actually improved my frame rate to the point where I can bump the game up from 720 to 1080.

I've felt like something was a little off with KSP lately, I haven't been getting the performance that I'd expected with a new computer and the whole Unity 5 update. Games always run really poorly for me when in "windowed fullscreen" vs. "actual fullscreen" and now that I've seen the difference in KSP I'm not shocked. Needless to say I was surprised to learn upon reading your post that selecting "Fullscreen" in the options menu was not actually making the game run in fullscreen... I'm kind of disappointed in Squad/Unity for trying to pull the wool over our eyes with this fake fullscreen stuff but at the same time I understand sometimes compromises are made for certain reasons I may not understand. The bright side to all of this is that we have you to fix it!

@jazzkutya Seriously, thanks for all your hard work, I'm sure keeping something like this up to date often feels like a thankless task. You're a hero in my book. :)

9 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I just found this mod, and it has actually improved my frame rate to the point where I can bump the game up from 720 to 1080.

@jazzkutya Seriously, thanks for all your hard work, I'm sure keeping something like this up to date often feels like a thankless task. You're a hero in my book. :)

You are welcome :)

May I ask you what video card do you have?

One more thing, Squad has nothing to do with this, the blame is totally on Unity with this. They removed this option from the editor sometime around version 4.2 iirc while the real fullscreen support is still in the engine. I just toggle one bit in the unity configuration that can not be set in the Unity Editor :). And still, while Unity is to be blamed, I could not do this if they were not supporting real fullscreen under the hood. Also, Unity Editor itself calls the fake fullscreen simply as fullscreen in the editor so no unity game developer is guily for this :)

Edited by jazzkutya

3 hours ago, jazzkutya said:

You are welcome :)

May I ask you what video card do you have?

One more thing, Squad has nothing to do with this, the blame is totally on Unity with this. They removed this option from the editor sometime around version 4.2 iirc while the real fullscreen support is still in the engine. I just toggle one bit in the unity configuration that can not be set in the Unity Editor :). And still, while Unity is to be blamed, I could not do this if they were not supporting real fullscreen under the hood. Also, Unity Editor itself calls the fake fullscreen simply as fullscreen in the editor so no unity game developer is guily for this :)

It's a Radeon AMD R9 360. Not the best card I know, but it's leaps and bounds better than what I played KSP on previously yet for some reason I wasn't seeing much of a performance difference.

Thanks for clarifying the actual root cause of all this, it's very interesting to learn some of what goes on behind the scenes with the game engine. I still wonder why the change was considered needed...I suppose the alt-tabbing issue? My game crashes if I try to alt tab away from it and back to it, but that's not a problem for me as I rarely do anything else while playing KSP and if I need to look something up quick I can use my phone.

Although I have done some minor hex editing in my day I was a little worried about mussing up my KSP install so big thanks for the convenient patcher as well, it was easy to use and worked great!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

fullscreen patcher updated for KSP 1.2

The mainData file is gone with the 1.2 update, the hidden setting is now in the new file globalgamemanagers. The patcher takes care of this.

Edited by jazzkutya

19 hours ago, jazzkutya said:

fullscreen patcher updated for KSP 1.2

The mainData file is gone with the 1.2 update, the hidden setting is now in the new file globalgamemanagers. The patcher takes care of this.

Thanks, greatly appreciated.

Edited by Heisengoat

• 5 weeks later...

Is this even needed for Shadowplay-specific things anymore? NVidia replaced Shadowplay with their Share functionality in GeForce Experience, and this recognizes KSP in a window or 'full screen' window quite handily.

While I did this for 1.1.3, I'm finding I missed being able to switch between windows to look up stuff. In 1.2.1 I'm not bothering with it.

• 2 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:34 PM, SlabGizor117 said:

So I put the .exe patcher into my (C:) > Progams > KSP_win64 file and it's saying that it's in the wrong file.  Am I doing something wrong?

Any chance you're trying to run this on a KSP 1.2.2 installation? The patcher won't run against 1.2.2 as a safety check.

However, it does appear the same byte gets edited the same way on the same file in 1.2.2 as in 1.2.1. Just took a look at the GitHub for the source code, and noted the same treatment for KSP 1.2.0 and 1.2.1. If you feel brave with a file editor, you can make the change yourself.

16 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Any chance you're trying to run this on a KSP 1.2.2 installation? The patcher won't run against 1.2.2 as a safety check.

However, it does appear the same byte gets edited the same way on the same file in 1.2.2 as in 1.2.1. Just took a look at the GitHub for the source code, and noted the same treatment for KSP 1.2.0 and 1.2.1. If you feel brave with a file editor, you can make the change yourself.

I don't unfortunately.

How many others have tried manual editing to enable 'true full screen' on KSP 1.2.2 for MS Windows? The same hack that worked on 1.2.0 and 1.2.1 does work for me, though I'm not noticing an appreciable difference in performance. I won't detail the steps here, but @jazzkutya could update his code to detect 1.2.2 and it should work.

What I am noticing though, is better stability when switching between 'true full screen' KSP 1.2.2 and other Windows applications. I missed being able to look stuff up with KSP 1.1.3 hacked in this manner, and tried switching during my tests of 1.2.2. So far, so good. Has anyone else noticed this improvement or have had an adverse response instead?

If it helps, I'm using Windows 10 build 1607, currently up to date, with a current NVidia GTX 760 driver as of last week.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 4:55 PM, TheUniverseIsExpanding said:

1.4.5 ?

Welcome to the forums!

Asking for updates can be perceived as a touch rude around here just fyi, but I realize you're just asking and not demanding.

Have you tried it on 1.4.5 yet? It may work, and you would be helping everyone else who uses it by testing it and reporting back here!

2 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Welcome to the forums!

Asking for updates can be perceived as a touch rude around here just fyi, but I realize you're just asking and not demanding.

Have you tried it on 1.4.5 yet? It may work, and you would be helping everyone else who uses it by testing it and reporting back here!

I have tried it on 1.4.5 but it did not work.I may have just done something wrong though.

Hi everyone,

My videocard broke (again) and I don't feel like even trying to run KSP with intel graphics. Will heatgun it (again) when the long-awaited patch for we happy few is released and will update the patcher then.

Don't you love it that all nvidia videocard desolders itself just after the warrantry period?

thanks for your patience

2 hours ago, jazzkutya said:

Hi everyone,

My videocard broke (again) and I don't feel like even trying to run KSP with intel graphics. Will heatgun it (again) when the long-awaited patch for we happy few is released and will update the patcher then.

Don't you love it that all nvidia videocard desolders itself just after the warrantry period?

thanks for your patience

Sorry to hear that man.

Nothing worse than computer troubles.

How's "We happy few" btw? I've heard mixed things. Looked interesting.

On 9/23/2018 at 1:07 AM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

How's "We happy few" btw? I've heard mixed things. Looked interesting.

It would be a nice game but the bugs and performance (for me at least) are really annoying. Definitely not worth it's current price, even without bugs the price is debatable.

"get it on sale" :)

oh and btw it can not do exclusive fullscreen :) (unless I find some unreal engine config tweak later)

Edited by jazzkutya

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.