[WIP][1.2.2] Keridian Dynamics - Dev Thread [Last Update: 2017-01-21]

Thanks for the rep guys :)

Sorry for the late reply - missed the 0.4 update. I've been playing with the rover pads and the only thing I see is the icons in the VAB parts list are very small. The ten meter one is just a dot. I'm not sure what causes this but I've seen it in other mods too - may be a stock bug? Other than that had some fun spawning things way above the ground and inside other objects (in addition to normal spawns) and every thing worked as expected.

A suggestion. Have the spawn point a tweakable. (I'm thinking this probably requires a plugin but thought I'd throw it out there).

No problem, was a bit distracted myself lately :wink: New vessels spawn at point 0,0,0 of the model. The collider-part is just offset in one direction (plus height). The icons in the VAB shows the entire model.

I'd like to make the spawnpoint tweakable but haven't figured out a way to do so. Ideas/suggestions/contributions/etc are highly appreciated :)

I had looked at the recycler at one point and was unable to figure it out. I had imported the mu file into blender and noticed it had what looked like a collision box to trigger the recycle - I got the idea somewhere that the collision box had a special layer (could easily be wrong) but still couldn't get it to work and I can't remember where I got that idea.

Tried that too with the .mu importer for blender but no working result :(

I dont know if it's possible, but having the orbital space dock support crew transfer (either via stock or CLS) would be great.

It is actually possible to transfer crew to a new vessel after the build is finalized but before it's released; Or did you mean something else?

where do i put the customization config files?

Anywhere inside your GameData folder should be fine. If that doesn't work, try to put it in the KeridianDynamics folder.

FINALLY!!!

I've been looking ages for a simplified EPL mod. Thank you so very much. +Rep.

Edit: What parts can I delete from the original EPL folder?

You're welcome and I'm glad you like it!

Absolute minimum to keep is the Plugins folder, Resources folder and the EL_MM.cfg file. The Textures folder should also be kept since it contains the icon for the toolbar and nothing else (EL 5.2.2 & 5.2.90).

A bit late responding, but...

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by TheAnswerIsIsaacNewton viewpost-right.png

I dont know if it's possible, but having the orbital space dock support crew transfer (either via stock or CLS) would be great.

It is actually possible to transfer crew to a new vessel after the build is finalized but before it's released; Or did you mean something else?

Hrm..I always get a 'Joe Kerbal cannot reach $module' message.

I'm using a personal mod that uses the mode from the Stock-alike Station Parts radial attachment node with the orbital space dock's functionality (build a station in orbit!). But even testing with the base EL space dock I have the same problem (no idea how to embed album, sorry):

Simple test workshop...

RErADQF.png

Build another landercan and try to transfer...

ixDiCvh.png

ta-da....

D1NAzA1.png

Any ideas?

PS: For anyone who wants to try my toy...

+PART[crewtube-attach-125]:Final
{
@name = stationExpansionNode_small
@module = Part
@title = Station Expansion Node (small)
@description = Grow your own space station! May cause hair loss in certain individuals.

MODULE
{
name = ExLaunchPad
SpawnTransform = LaunchPos
SpawnHeightOffset = 0.198238
}

}

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello again!

Sorry for the the lack of answers and updates so far. I've tested KD-VA v0.4 (with KSP 1.0.5, MM 2.6.18, EPL 5.2.95) and had no issues. Unless someone can report an issue I will set compatibility to KSP 1.0.5.

I'm also working on update 0.5:

Features:

• Reworked tanks. Available in different colors (Black=Ore/MetalOre, Gray=Metal, White=RocketParts. The other tanks will be included as Customisation with example configs. If/what for you want to use them is up to you.).
  • Little model-changes to Furnace and 3D-Printer.
  • RoverPad retextured (not really better/final but no seperate texture anymore).
  • New Pad that launches Vessels from below (7.5 m).
  • Less textures used (they are still very big).
  • Simpler mesh-colliders on ALL models.

If all goes well the update should be available within the next week but no promises as always. The mesh-colliders will change so be careful with savegames!

Future/Ideas after 0.5:

• Parts that require Infernal Robotics because EPL and MSI IR play very well along. Made some test-models to see what's possible and I have some ideas already :)
  • HighEnd-ProbeCore for mining-operations (Includes small storage for Ore/MetalOre, Metal, RocketParts and some of the resource-scanning devices. Definitly the ground-scanner, the others I'm not sure about).
  • Foldable Launchpad.
  • Recycler is still on the to-do list.

Update to KSP 1.1 is also planned. Some more animations are also still on the to-do list but I think it's better to wait for KSP 1.1.

1 hour ago, Eleusis La Arwall said:

Hello again!

Sorry for the the lack of answers and updates so far. I've tested KD-VA v0.4 (with KSP 1.0.5, MM 2.6.18, EPL 5.2.95) and had no issues. Unless someone can report an issue I will set compatibility to KSP 1.0.5.

I'm also working on update 0.5:

Features:

• Reworked tanks. Available in different colors (Black=Ore/MetalOre, Gray=Metal, White=RocketParts. The other tanks will be included as Customisation with example configs. If/what for you want to use them is up to you.).
  • Little model-changes to Furnace and 3D-Printer.
  • RoverPad retextured (not really better/final but no seperate texture anymore).
  • New Pad that launches Vessels from below (7.5 m).
  • Less textures used (they are still very big).
  • Simpler mesh-colliders on ALL models.

If all goes well the update should be available within the next week but no promises as always. The mesh-colliders will change so be careful with savegames!

Future/Ideas after 0.5:

• Parts that require Infernal Robotics because EPL and MSI IR play very well along. Made some test-models to see what's possible and I have some ideas already :)
  • HighEnd-ProbeCore for mining-operations (Includes small storage for Ore/MetalOre, Metal, RocketParts and some of the resource-scanning devices. Definitly the ground-scanner, the others I'm not sure about).
  • Foldable Launchpad.
  • Recycler is still on the to-do list.

Update to KSP 1.1 is also planned. Some more animations are also still on the to-do list but I think it's better to wait for KSP 1.1.

FINALLY!

I actually had to go ahead and make simpleConstruction while waiting for this amazing mod to release. Thank you so very much!

Is there a way for you to release a 'low-res texture pack' alongside the main update, for memory-restricted players?

3 hours ago, MatterBeam said:

FINALLY!

I actually had to go ahead and make simpleConstruction while waiting for this amazing mod to release. Thank you so very much!

Is there a way for you to release a 'low-res texture pack' alongside the main update, for memory-restricted players?

You're welcome! I'm glad you like it :)

I'll test some down-scaled textures and put em into the Customisation-folder if they are not too big.

• 2 weeks later...

New version 0.5 is released!

Download from Spacedock

Download from GitHub

Spoiler

2016-02-27 - 2016 update - v0.5
    -Reworked tanks. (Names have changed, so be carefull with savegames!)
    -Changed RoverPads to TopPad and SidePad. (Names have changed, so be carefull with savegames!)
    -New mesh-colliders for all parts (be carefull with savegames!).
    -Toggleable Spawn Marker for all Pads added. A vessel from SPH will point in the direction of the arrowtip. VAB vessels will still point upwards.
    -KD-OrbitalPad, KD-SidePad, KD-TopPad and all tanks now share the same texture (KD-OrbitalPad.dds).
    -Added thermal properties to KD-Pad and KD-OrbitalPad to prevent overheating-explosions during vessel-launch (might be exploitable ...).
    -Added thermal curves to KD-Furnace and KD-3D-Printer.
    -The Furnace needs to heat up before Metal can be extracted. CoreTemperature must at least reach 1800 K to start the extraction! Heating needs a lot of ElectricCharge. Once the extraction has started the heater can be turned off.
    -The 3D-Printer needs 20 ElectricCharge instead of 10. It needs RoomTemperature to operate (300 K). Heat production is rather low.
    -Some minor model and texture changes.
    -Added 512x512 textures to Customisation.
    -Added "KD-Example Craft.craft" to Customisation.
    -Updated CTT-compatibility.

Added the mod to Spacedock.info and an alternative download from GitHub.

A lot of changes have been made in 0.5 hence I strongly recommend to delete older versions before updating and start a fresh savegame.

The thermal curves on the Furnace and 3D-Printer are my first and I hope they work as intended (only tested them on Kerbin and Minmus). Any feedback/tips/ideas is very much appreciated.

Launchclamps: Be very careful with them! Make sure they spawn OUTSIDE of the Pad. The Launchclamps go right through the Pad and if you are able to build a vessel without everything exloding around you it will upon release of the vessel. So make use of ALT+F5!

3 hours ago, Eleusis La Arwall said:

New version 0.5 is released!

Download from Spacedock

Download from GitHub

Reveal hidden contents

2016-02-27 - 2016 update - v0.5
    -Reworked tanks. (Names have changed, so be carefull with savegames!)
    -Changed RoverPads to TopPad and SidePad. (Names have changed, so be carefull with savegames!)
    -New mesh-colliders for all parts (be carefull with savegames!).
    -Toggleable Spawn Marker for all Pads added. A vessel from SPH will point in the direction of the arrowtip. VAB vessels will still point upwards.
    -KD-OrbitalPad, KD-SidePad, KD-TopPad and all tanks now share the same texture (KD-OrbitalPad.dds).
    -Added thermal properties to KD-Pad and KD-OrbitalPad to prevent overheating-explosions during vessel-launch (might be exploitable ...).
    -Added thermal curves to KD-Furnace and KD-3D-Printer.
    -The Furnace needs to heat up before Metal can be extracted. CoreTemperature must at least reach 1800 K to start the extraction! Heating needs a lot of ElectricCharge. Once the extraction has started the heater can be turned off.
    -The 3D-Printer needs 20 ElectricCharge instead of 10. It needs RoomTemperature to operate (300 K). Heat production is rather low.
    -Some minor model and texture changes.
    -Added 512x512 textures to Customisation.
    -Added "KD-Example Craft.craft" to Customisation.

Added the mod to Spacedock.info and an alternative download from GitHub.

A lot of changes have been made in 0.5 hence I strongly recommend to delete older versions before updating and start a fresh savegame.

The thermal curves on the Furnace and 3D-Printer are my first and I hope they work as intended (only tested them on Kerbin and Minmus). Any feedback/tips/ideas is very much appreciated.

Launchclamps: Be very careful with them! Make sure they spawn OUTSIDE of the Pad. The Launchclamps go right through the Pad and if you are able to build a vessel without everything exloding around you it will upon release of the vessel. So make use of ALT+F5!

Very good, very very good. I will use these beautiful models ASAP.

I was staring like an idiot at the 'launch from below' pad wondering what possible use it was for. Then it all crystallised. Very good indeed!

Are the resource hexcans texture switching to avoid inventory spam?

Love the launchpads, they go well on ship decks, fyi.

Very good, very very good. I will use these beautiful models ASAP.

Very glad to hear that, it means a lot to me! I can't tell how many hours I've spent in Blender/Unity/... so far and there is still so much to learn.

I was staring like an idiot at the 'launch from below' pad wondering what possible use it was for. Then it all crystallised. Very good indeed!

Are the resource hexcans texture switching to avoid inventory spam?

Love the launchpads, they go well on ship decks, fyi

The TopPad was originally designed to build planes on the ground or in orbit and have some sort of gangway for Kerbals to enter the Vessel directly. It is usually possible to transfer crew to a finalized vessel before releasing it. So the gangway would be for aesthetic/imaginitive purpose. I've added some pictures for a better visualisation:

1. image: The vessel has been build and is ready to release.
  2. Image: Vessel spawned.
  3. Image: Vessel is still above the ground. Releasing it could cause damage.
  4. Image: The entire Launchpad is moved down via InfernalRobotics to drop the vessel carefully on the ground.
  5. Image: Docking Port is open, ready to deploy the gangway.
  6. Image: Deploying gangway.
  7. Image: Gangway deployed.
  8. Image: Pilot gets transfered to the Pilot seat (I've placed the crewed parts very unlucky in this example).
  9. Image: IVA-view from cockpit after releasing the vessel.
  10. Image: Profit

Couldn't come up with a 100% working concept so far but I'm still working on this idea and other parts with InfernalRobotics. It's the best way I found so far to safely deploy rovers and planes to the ground.

The tanks have no texture switch yet but that's a good point. I've added this to my todo-list.

I actually haven't tested any of the parts in or on the water :blush: I assumed they just drown under their own weight. Good to know, thx for the info!

The easiest way to suspend the Top Pad in position is using launch clamps, and maybe a girder or two to space them out. You could even use KAS to bolt them to the ceiling of the hangars on the Island!

The Top Pad is also useful for launching directly into water.

Edited by colmo

Devouring rocketry

Here is a little preview of the new recycler as suggested by wasml. It will be included in the next update.

The part is already available on GItHub (here) in 2 different sizes (for testing). The smaller recycler "Gulper" can recycle parts up to 2.5 m in diameter and the big one "Devourer" up to 5 m at an insane rate of 25 t/s. Two different textures are available (use one at a time; to use the yellow one rename "KD-Recycler-Yellow.dds" to "KD-Recycler.dds").

Special thanks to taniwha for the help with the RecycleFields!

Known issues:

• Animation is not coupled with the activation/deactivation of the recycler-module yet.
  • Multiple colliders are used and in order to keep them simple some parts of the model have no collider.

Thoughts on the next update (feedback/suggestions/discussions are welcome!):

• As of version 0.6 all calculations are made with the assumption that metal has a density of 0.0390. CRP lists metal with a density of 0.0078. Interstellar Fuel switcher bundles CRP. Since I plan to make use of IFS to avoid inventory spam (as suggested by colmo) it would be logical/required to use CRP definition. This will probably breake compatibility to some EPL parts.
  • Recycling cycle concept: Parts will be turned into some sort of "scrap"-resource. Metal can be extracted from the scrap in the Furnace with losses. Maybe add an advanced recycling machine that recycles scrap almost lossless to metal and ore.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent idea. Between this and Simple Constructs and OKS (depending on how complex I'm feeling for that particular game) I think the whole "ugly part" problem with EPL has gone away.

I imagine with this you could delete just about every EPL part and just keep the DLL's to run your parts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2015 at 4:25 PM, Eleusis La Arwall said:

First of all I'm pretty sure this would exceed my skills, but lets see if I undstand that correctly. You want a part that would be sent out as a probe, land on a body and attaches itself to the ground. Afterwards it would launch/add one vessel to itself?

If that is correct you would have to send all the required RocketParts with that probe or have a second vessel attached, that has the RocketParts aboard. In what situation would that bring a benefit?

I never did respond to this, many moons ago. I asked in more detail on the EPL thread. It's on taniwa's TODO list, but doesn't hurt to suggest it elsewhere.

Fantastic recycler, btw!

Edited by colmo

Version 0.6 is released! (for KSP 1.0.5)

Download from SpaceDock

Download from GitHub

Interstellar Fuel Switch by FreeThinker is now a dependency!

Spoiler

2016-04-16 - Recycling - v0.6
    -Added Interstellar Fuel Switch dependency. (Tank names have changed, be careful with savegames!)
    -Reworked models. (Colliders have not changed.)
    -Added Normal maps.
    -Added Emissive maps.
    -Added new animations.
    -Reworked Furnace behavior. No more seperate heating needed.
    -Furnace needs much less EC but produces more heat.
    -New part: KD-Recycler. (Roll-animation and ExRecycler need to be activated seperately)

I had a closer look into CRP and realised that it does not contain a definition for "Metal". So the density of Metal is kept at 0.039 for this release.

The Recycler will turn devoured parts into Metal for now.

The thermal curves of the Furnace are not final. I observed some very strange behaviour with the old cuves and makeing them more flat seems to have fixed that.

I've set up Unity 5 and imported all models without any trouble. The next update will hopefully arrive shortly after EL is available for KSP 1.1.

On 16/04/2016 at 3:44 PM, colmo said:

I never did respond to this, many moons ago. I asked in more detail on the EPL thread. It's on taniwa's TODO list, but doesn't hurt to suggest it elsewhere.

Fantastic recycler, btw!

When I understand that correctly you suggest "a claw for the ground". You would build a  Spacecraft with that GroundClaw attached at the bottom and as soon as you land the Spacecraft, the claw attaches to the ground and levels itself (and attached craft) parallel to "sealevel", right?  That is a nice idea. Haven't done anything with ground-attachment yet but I'll keep that in mind!

Edit: Think I got this wrong. You suggest a launchclamp that is not detachable, right? I made a very quick and dirty test with a driveable rover and the SidePad (Pics; Excuse the model, just threw it together). I likle that idea a lot but I don't know how to prevent the detaching yet.

Edited by Eleusis La Arwall
Added GitHub download

16 hours ago, Eleusis La Arwall said:

When I understand that correctly you suggest "a claw for the ground". You would build a  Spacecraft with that GroundClaw attached at the bottom and as soon as you land the Spacecraft, the claw attaches to the ground and levels itself (and attached craft) parallel to "sealevel", right?  That is a nice idea. Haven't done anything with ground-attachment yet but I'll keep that in mind!

Edit: Think I got this wrong. You suggest a launchclamp that is not detachable, right? I made a very quick and dirty test with a driveable rover and the SidePad (Pics; Excuse the model, just threw it together). I likle that idea a lot but I don't know how to prevent the detaching yet.

That's correct - it operates like a launch clamp in terms of the way it interacts with the ground and attaches to parts, but creates essentially a nice wide concrete slab, that merges neatly with the ground (bevelled or stepped to make it climbable by Kerbals) and should also be perfectly upright, ideal for building non-mobile craft on. In the VAB or SPH, you'd construct, say, a hut made of metal plates with a probe core or command pod, then attach the concrete foundation like a launchclamp to the bottom. When built using EPL (using survey stakes most likely), the slab would anchor the hut permanently to the ground, precisely level. It could either be available in a number or sizes, or with some kind of Tweakscale functionality.

It would be perfect for anchoring the recycler to the ground, for instance. The only way to shift them afterwards might be demolition. And any opportunity to use demolition in KSP can only be a good thing.

I'm not sure how launchclamp functionality works, but you could add nodes to it, which might not be affected by it, only the connection via surface attachment.

This mod would work very well with it:

It could spark interest in parts designed for static us - large command station, research and comms pods with IVAs, KAS pipes designed to pass underground (only the connectors at each end would be visible, ideal for fastening to the concrete slabs), and associated damage mods like Kerbal Krash System, which allows such installations to get rather battered looking without disappearing with a puff or boom.

Edited by colmo
Added The Cube link

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.