How far did you get in Realisme Overhaul?

CitizenVeen

On 11-1-2016 at 4:08 AM, soundnfury said:

I've been recording my RP-0 progress in Ijkslander Space Program; my biggest achievements thus far are landing a probe on the Moon and getting probe fly-bys of both Phobos and Deimos.  I haven't yet sent crewed vessels beyond LEO, but that's partly because Kappa-Ray makes that extra-dangerous.

Also, check out the ribbons I've made for RSS, a convenient way of answering the question in the thread title!

nice! Here is my progress now:

Generated ribbons

So in short: landed a probe on the moon (nice soft 2 m/s touchdown), and orbited the major planets (except mercury) for science. Manned moon landing next!

Edited by CitizenVeen

2 hours ago, CitizenVeen said:

nice! Here is my progress now: <snip>

So I noticed a couple of bugs in how the Ribbonator handled your merits - in particular, it wasn't displaying your "kerbal saved" cross for Earth.  This was because of insufficient URL quoting, and is now fixed - URLs generated in the future will (hopefully) display correctly.  However, it's not smart enough to get old URLs right, so I suggest you re-generate your image.

By the way, it's probably not a good idea to link directly to the generated image, as that means your ribbons will disappear if my server dies, moves, or changes in any way — and I can't promise it won't.  (It's not exactly what you'd call professional hosting...)

Also, you orbited Pluto?  Either you used a Hohmann transfer, in which case you've got tons of patience, or you went a bit more direct, in which case you had tons of delta-V.  Either way, I take my hat off to you.

One thing that strikes me as odd, though: having orbited all those planets, why haven't you visited any of their moons?  All that exciting science, there for the taking!  I haven't even reached Saturn yet and I've already visited Phobos and Deimos — and launched follow-up probes to land on them.  (Though I'm not sure how well that'll go, what with signal delay and all.)

On 11-1-2016 at 5:24 AM, MaxL_1023 said:

Made a manned moon landing, and turned a Mars orbiter with 3k delta-v left into a mars lander (unmanned). Going to do some outer-planet probes and a Venus lander next, then try a Manned mars mission.

RP-0 has more nodes filled out now - a ot of 500-100 science nodes have materials especially with the near-future mods. I just unlocked the SSME at a 1000 science node (I think, maybe 600).

Are those the near future propulsion, near future tech, near future electricity etc? Do they fit well into the RP-0 tech tree? Balancewise etc? Near to filling out the tree as it is myself...

Edited by CitizenVeen

1 hour ago, soundnfury said:

So I noticed a couple of bugs in how the Ribbonator handled your merits - in particular, it wasn't displaying your "kerbal saved" cross for Earth.  This was because of insufficient URL quoting, and is now fixed - URLs generated in the future will (hopefully) display correctly.  However, it's not smart enough to get old URLs right, so I suggest you re-generate your image.

By the way, it's probably not a good idea to link directly to the generated image, as that means your ribbons will disappear if my server dies, moves, or changes in any way — and I can't promise it won't.  (It's not exactly what you'd call professional hosting...)

Also, you orbited Pluto?  Either you used a Hohmann transfer, in which case you've got tons of patience, or you went a bit more direct, in which case you had tons of delta-V.  Either way, I take my hat off to you.

One thing that strikes me as odd, though: having orbited all those planets, why haven't you visited any of their moons?  All that exciting science, there for the taking!  I haven't even reached Saturn yet and I've already visited Phobos and Deimos — and launched follow-up probes to land on them.  (Though I'm not sure how well that'll go, what with signal delay and all.)

Nah, not Pluto, only got as far as neptune. I might have misclicked something somewhere when generating my ribbons... I'll check on it

EDIT: Yeah, these are the correct ones:
Generated ribbons

(I also also only flew by mars, I messed up my ullage, did get most high space science though).

I did visit one jupiter moon which I sort of encountered on the way there. But forgot which one.
Anyways, I calculated launch windows for all planets, and planned all midcourse correction nodes, and finally the capture burns. Wrote them all down in a spreadsheet, inclusive the delta-V stats (I smacked a good extra ~3000 m/s on each so I could do moons with them if I needed more science)
And then started launching. Which ment constantly switching between launching something to LEO+injection, Launching a new probe, midcourse correction, another midcourse correction, capture burn, launching something else into LEO etc etc.

Which was kinda fun, and more realistic then just launching 1 thing into LEO, fast forwarding to the correction burn, fast forwarding to the capture, getting the science, going back to the space center and then launching the next vessel to LEO.

Was planning a good 30+ actions in advance, and didnt bother to also add the moons in in advance (it got me excrementsloads of science anyways). And now I got probes with ~3k m/s arround each planet, which can hop by any moon any time if I need more.
I did cheat on 1 thing though: I switched on infinite electricity, as I miscalculated the charge my solar panels would give me so far away from the sun, and by the time I found that out, all my probes were allready on their way towards the outer planets (the inner ones were allready orbitting), and reverting back to before I launched the very first one from the launchpad was like 12hours playtime back :P.

Edited by CitizenVeen

4 minutes ago, CitizenVeen said:

And then started launching. Which ment constantly switching between launching something to LEO+injection, Launching a new probe, midcourse correction, another midcourse correction, injection burn, launching something else into LEO etc etc.

Which was kinda fun, and more realistic then just launching 1 thing into LEO, fast forwarding to the correction burn, far forwarding to the capture, getting the science, going back to the space center and then launching the next vessel to LEO.

Oh yeah, I always run massively parallel as well :)

Rather than messing around with spreadsheets, though, I just use KAC to keep track of everything.  I used to use a text file with all various events planned out in it, but that just got to be too much effort.

I mainly build-launch-refine-launch again real world rockets using procedural parts. The only accomplishment to speak of, other than successful LEO insertion is a very basic LEO comm network.

I'd like to do a moonshot at some point, but haven't gotten around to it.

On 5-1-2016 at 7:54 PM, PLAD said:

Here are some of the things I've flown to the Moon recently. Yesterday a flew my newest 2-person-to-the-Moon transport to Mare Moscoviense, I've got to put that at the end. It will be used to rotate crews and resupply t

Very Nice planes!

Couple a questions:

What part mods do you use? The sweet RL60 you talk about doesnt seem To come with rp-0

How do you go To the moon with h2/lox engines? My h2/lox boils comepletely off in 1-2 days (moon takes 5-6 dayd with a hohmann) So anything beyond LEO I have To do with those 300-320isp metabolic engines...

1 hour ago, CitizenVeen said:

Very Nice planes!

Couple a questions:

What part mods do you use? The sweet RL60 you talk about doesnt seem To come with rp-0

How do you go To the moon with h2/lox engines? My h2/lox boils comepletely off in 1-2 days (moon takes 5-6 dayd with a hohmann) So anything beyond LEO I have To do with those 300-320isp metabolic engines...

RL-60s are in RLA Stockalike, and you want a cryogenic tank (use the different procedural tank types, its a tweakable) and put radiators on it. That helps a lot.

On 2/1/2016 at 7:59 PM, CitizenVeen said:

Very Nice planes!

Couple a questions:

Yup, I use the AIES+RO RL-60. It has such a high TWR and isp that it blows everything else its size away. And so many restarts! The sad part is that in real life they developed and tested a prototype RL-60 but it has never been flown (AFAIK!) I've cut the launch weights of my rockets by replacing single J-2X's or RD-0120's with 5x-7x of the RL-60. Since it's an upper stage the savings are substantial. Since neither is in mass production now an open question is which way would be cheaper.

As for H2 boiloff I noticed a big reduction in boiloff rates in the last two versions of RO (for KSP 1.04 and 1.05). You have to pick the cryogenic tank type though, if you keep the default tank type the boiloff is much greater. With cryogenic tanks I get H2 boiloff rates of 0.3% to 3.5% (of the whole tank volume)  per day. I've been having fun trying to figure out why the rate varies so, I've found the shape of the tank matters (spherical is better), the way the tank is attached to the rest of the ship seems to matter, and there seems to be a cool down flush after firing the motor so be frugal in using the main engine. In any case it's good enough for Moon missions but not yet good enough for Mars missions.

The Moon, Mars, and Venus.  I'm of a mind to try a MESSENGER mission using an R-7 launch vehicle (Soyuz 2, maybe) but I've still got a lot of work to do on those engine's configs and I'm still pretty burnt out on KSP.  Once I get the bug again I want to see exactly how much I can accomplish with just the Soyuz 2; R-7 Space Program FTW.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.