RealSolarSystem Visual Tweaks and Science Definitions

Whirligig Girl

Download at GitHub

RSS Visual Tweaks is a small pack of simple fixes for the Real Solar System mod.

It tweaks the atmosphere color of Mars, Saturn, Neptune, Uranus, and Jupiter. It tweaks the atmosphere rims of the gas giants, Mars, and Earth as well so they look more realistic. Saturn's rings are back in space instead of hidden deep in Saturn's core. (though at the moment not quite properly scaled. Stay tuned for a size-fixing update.)

(Note: Extra moons are from RSS Planets and Moons Expanded, not RVT)

Atmo rim tweaks:

Closeup atmosphere colors:

It also replaces the texture of Venus so that it is more realistic (or at least, less ugly). If you don't like the Venus texture then simply remove the texture and the @Body[Venus]{} node in RVT.cfg. Really, you should just have it covered in clouds using EVE or something. I don't know why Venus is so often shown without its clouds. You'd be unlikely to show the Earth without clouds, and would definitely not show a gas giant without clouds. So why do so many illustrations show Venus without clouds?

Venus:

1ys4EZP.png

It also fixes Phobos and Deimos' ghostly, blocky terrain.

Phobos and Deimos fix:

New: Fix for Titan. (Before picture of a terrain export, showing that the terrain was very broken before RVT.)

Titan fix (Another planet that you really want clouds for.)

Yes, Titan DOES have a blue atmosphere, much like almost all of the celestial objects that have atmospheres.

Earth landClasses Tweak (it fixes the brown ocean floor during ascent, and it makes the scatterer bug where the ocean disappears less obvious.

There's also a set of science definitions included as well. Some of the science definitions are just modified from stock, but a large majority of them are custom-written. Also included in the science definitions are a few of the bodies from the RSS Planets and Moons Expanded mod.

Edited by GregroxMun

On 1/21/2016 at 3:55 PM, GregroxMun said:

Download

RSS Visual Tweaks is a small pack of simple fixes for the Real Solar System mod.

It tweaks the atmosphere color of Mars, Saturn, Neptune, Uranus, and Jupiter. It tweaks the atmosphere rims of the gas giants, Mars, and Earth as well so they look more realistic. Saturn's rings are back in space instead of hidden deep in Saturn's core. (though at the moment not quite properly scaled. Stay tuned for a size-fixing update.)

(Note: Extra moons are from RSS Planets and Moons Expanded, not RVT)

Atmo rim tweaks:

Closeup atmosphere colors:

It also replaces the texture of Venus so that it is more realistic (or at least, less ugly). If you don't like the Venus texture then simply remove the texture and the @Body[Venus]{} node in RVT.cfg. Really, you should just have it covered in clouds using EVE or something. I don't know why Venus is so often shown without its clouds. You'd be unlikely to show the Earth without clouds, and would definitely not show a gas giant without clouds. So why do so many illustrations show Venus without clouds?

Venus:

1ys4EZP.png

It also fixes Phobos and Deimos' ghostly, blocky terrain.

Phobos and Deimos fix:

New: Fix for Titan. (Before picture of a terrain export, showing that the terrain was very broken before RVT.)

Titan fix (Another planet that you really want clouds for.)

Yes, Titan DOES have a blue atmosphere, much like almost all of the celestial objects that have atmospheres.

There's also a set of science definitions included as well. Some of the science definitions are just modified from stock, but a large majority of them are custom-written. Also included in the science definitions are a few of the bodies from the RSS Planets and Moons Expanded mod.

gregox how do you install it

5 minutes ago, Rigel Agar said:

gregox how do you install it

Did you really have to quote the whole post?

You install by installing RSS (Kopernicus, ModuleManager, RealSolarSystem, and RSS-Textures) and then putting all of the folders in the download that have the RSS- prefix in them into GameData.

On 1/27/2016 at 0:48 PM, Matuchkin said:

Is it possible for you to add multiple layers (5-10) of huge, volumetric clouds to Jupiter? I'll want to do a Galileo type mission later on, and I don't feel like ending it by floating through a sphere with a Jupiter decal.

I was working on a Lite Cloud Pack for RSS, that would have included something like 2 layers for Jupiter, but clouds really are not my expertise.

On 1/31/2016 at 8:39 AM, GregroxMun said:

I was working on a Lite Cloud Pack for RSS, that would have included something like 2 layers for Jupiter, but clouds really are not my expertise.

pls pls release that :D 

Personally, I find the sandy beach coloring a bit jarring, since only in a minority of shore will you hit that kind of sand (or sand at all). The underwater bit makes sense, although as you can see from the EarthSurface texture I did give the shore and low depth areas, and then high depth areas, reasonable underwater coloration (I hope).

7 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Personally, I find the sandy beach coloring a bit jarring, since only in a minority of shore will you hit that kind of sand (or sand at all). The underwater bit makes sense, although as you can see from the EarthSurface texture I did give the shore and low depth areas, and then high depth areas, reasonable underwater coloration (I hope).

The problem with the underwater coloration is that the stock ocean shader disappears after a certain altitude (and fades even below that) so you get a terribly ugly brown ocean before you suddenly transfer to scaledspace.I will probably remove the shores feature (but will keep it as an optional config)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.