Web browser-based VAB?

I was just thinking the other day it would be cool if KSP had a browser-based VAB (vehicle assembly building), where we could build ships in our web browser. Unity DOES work in web browsers as I developer in it myself. I thought it would be a cool way for people to build ships when they aren't home, be able to share things in the spacecraft exchange easily, and etc. I think there are a lot of benefits to it...

That's...

Actually...

A good idea! The ships could even be saved as .craft files for later use. I'm not sure how work intensive this would be for SQUAD or if perhaps it's something a 3rd party could do? The only problem I can see is mod support for mod parts, but I'm sure that could be sorted out. I would definitely make use of something like this.

Lovely idea.

Looking into a .craft file reveals how simple their structure, so I don't think it would be too hard for a third party to code another tool to make them.

Though all those nodes, camera controls, rotation and offset gizmos looks challenging.

Hmmm... Forgive me if I'm way off on this, as I'm not a coder....

If you could build craft outside the game in a browser, save the craft files, THEN load KSP with the craft files....

Would it be possible for KSP to NOT pre-load ALL the parts like it does now, but just go thru all the craft files, and ONLY load all the parts that would be in use by the craft files? Seems this would save TONS of RAM, and allow for many moar parts (MOAR MODS!! :)) to be used?

I can see at least one negative, in that if you are in the middle of a game, and want to build and use a new craft, how would you get it in-game, without exiting and restarting KSP all together, to allow it load the parts?

Edited by Stone Blue

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

If you could build craft outside the game in a browser, save the craft files, THEN load KSP with the craft files....

Would it be possible for KSP to NOT pre-load ALL the parts like it does now, but just go thru all the craft files, and ONLY load all the parts that would be in use by the craft files? Seems this would save TONS of RAM, and allow for many moar parts (MOAR MODS!! :)) to be used?

I can see at least one negative, in that if you are in the middle of a game, and want to build and use a new craft, how would you get it in-game, without exiting and restarting KSP all together, to allow it load the parts?

That's why Dynamic Texture Loader exists.

5 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Quickstart+Dynamic Texture loader.

Quickstart drops you directly into the VAB, DTL stops the game from loading all the textures,

9 minutes ago, MatterBeam said:

Quickstart+Dynamic Texture loader.

Quickstart drops you directly into the VAB, DTL stops the game from loading all the textures,

Hmmm... Thanx BloodDusk & MatterBeam...

Maybe I'll try that someday, when I can actually grab DTL off Github... :(
Too bad it doesnt work with Linux, either...???

Edited by Stone Blue

I always feel bad for people who bought KSP on steam.  I bought mine directly from squad. Now I can can play if off a thumb drive anywhere with no internet :D (sorry for gloating this is the only time I have ever been happy I paid full price)

Edited by Nich

Having one really high performance computer, and one 7 year old computer, I'd love this.  When I'm away, but with my MacBook, which is the 7 year old one, I could work on KSP without frying my computer!

1 hour ago, FishInferno said:

At risk of derailing the thread, how can you do this? I have been considering porting my KSP to steam.

Easy. 
Step 1: Launch steam in Offline mode
Step 2: Launch KSP
Step 3: Profit!

Also, the OP is a wonderful suggestion! I'm imagining a place, yes...., I have an iPhone...., mhmm, and I'm building this in KSP.... but don't forget the SPH!

Well, I'm glad to see others are on board for this idea. I really don't think it would be that difficult/impossible to do, even with mods...

The idea kind of spawned out of the "community space station" threads, where people each contribute a part to a space station. One thing I was thinking was, are people going to randomly just build this section by section? Wouldn't it be cooler if they could, I don't know, "collaborate" on a final design with something like a browser-based VAB of the entire space station and then section off and build it accordingly? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.