Ksp Price increase?

Should KSP Stay Free?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should ksp continue to update for free?

• Yes
    • No

The pricing is awesome, for what they deliver, no question. And they said, they wont charge for any updates and i believe, they will do so.

So, if one would like to support them, just go buy some merchandise. 

2 hours ago, Mahnarch said:

The future. You build. Load out to the Launch Pad. Get set. Hit 'Space bar'. and....

You gotta watch a 30 second ad.

Merchandising - that's where it's at. KSP the mug, KSP the delicious minty icecream desert, KSP the tea towel...

:)

5 hours ago, KSK said:

Merchandising - that's where it's at. KSP the mug, KSP the delicious minty icecream desert, KSP the tea towel...

:)

KSP the novelty exploding wheels (kids love this one)!

42 minutes ago, flatbear said:

I want an interstellar expansion pack.  wormholes, warp drives, new galaxies, solar sails and all

Problem with interstellar is once you can get there your engines are so OP there is nothing interesting to do.  

Bill - HHHmmmm.... Jeb we expended 90% of our fuel to get here (1 billion dv)

Jeb - Ok how much dv to land on that planet?

Bill - 0% (900 dv)

Jeb - Ok well what about that one that reminds me of home over there?

Bill - 0% (5000 dv)

Jeb - Ok what about that gas giant that has to be impossible right?

Bill - No Jeb we can do it and it will only take .1% (100,000 dv)

Jeb - What the hell are we supposed to do for fun in this system?

9 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I've got an even better idea!

Let's go Free2Play and have micro transactions.

"Do you want to time warp? Only 99 cents per minute!"

That Is so much worse

47 minutes ago, Nich said:

Problem with interstellar is once you can get there your engines are so OP there is nothing interesting to do.  

Bill - HHHmmmm.... Jeb we expended 90% of our fuel to get here (1 billion dv)

Jeb - Ok how much dv to land on that planet?

Bill - 0% (900 dv)

Jeb - Ok well what about that one that reminds me of home over there?

Bill - 0% (5000 dv)

Jeb - Ok what about that gas giant that has to be impossible right?

Bill - No Jeb we can do it and it will only take .1% (100,000 dv)

Jeb - What the hell are we supposed to do for fun in this system?

you forgot to toss in sentient gravity krakens

10 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I've got an even better idea!

Let's go Free2Play and have micro transactions.

"Do you want to time warp? Only 99 cents per minute!"

Today's special!!! 10 Terrier engines for only $4.99!!!

14 hours ago, rkman said:

Why is this even a question? Squad has said they won't charge for updates, it's one of the conditions of the transaction when we bought the game.

Squad said they won't charge you. As far as I can tell there is a magic buy in date and some customers could be charged for version 2+ at some point in the unspecified future. They also seem to retain the right to charge everyone for games involving Kerbals that aren't called KSP.

I would be very much inclined to pay Squad more money if the opportunity arises, but not very anything called KSP version 1.x and version 2 would have to be spiffy.

#mircoTranactionGamesAreEVIL

11 hours ago, Nich said:

your engines are so OP there is nothing interesting to do

There is nothing interesting to do anyway. Fantasy engines will just cut some time waiting to do that nothing.

I see the problem of DLCs as it should be something bigger than your regular mod, and mods are already very big. So just some more content would not tempt players to buy it. And DLC can not add "quality of life" features — that features must be in core game, otherwise justified whine ensues.

Most of the software products I use are lab products or drive instrumentation, not games.  That being said, the standard seems to be you pay when a new version comes out, but updates and revisions are included in the price of purchase.

For example, you pay for V1.  That includes 1.0, 1.0.1-1.0.5, 1.1, 1.4, 1.9.9 etc.  When you get to V2, it's a new product you have to shell out for, as support for V1 gets sunset.  I would expect KSP to follow the same model.

The current model/promise “pay once, get updates until we stop working on KSP” sounds wonderful, especially for the high school/college student demographic, which (unscientifically based on nothing except for some vague notions I get from the forum) seems to be a large part of the KSP community.

When you think of it, until we stop working on KSP is a bit problematic; KSP development relies purely on new sales and nothing else to survive. I have a few uncomfortable feelings with that:

• New Sales will inevitably taper off at one point. KSP development has, in that sense, a limited life span
  • There's no economic incentive for Squad to make the game deeper (more attractive to experienced players)
  • Conversely, it does makes sense for Squad to focus on making the game more attractive (bling & tutorials) in order to entice people who are curious about it to buy the game

Aside from getting the game in a stable and reasonable bug free state, if you were Squad, were would you put your development marbles:

• More planets (bad choice, unlikely to impact beginning players and sell more copies)
  • Multi-player (far better choice. Even if multiplayer mode isn't that good for reasons (timewarp, grieving), it will still be a compelling selling point
  • Tutorials (fantastic argument to draw doubting buyers over the line)

Compare that to Adobe. For many years their policy was to roll out a new version of their flagship products (Photoshop, Illustrator) every 18 months. Each update would roughly offer the same, conceptually:

• Bug fixes
  • Upgrading existing features with new functionality wanted by most users
  • New features met with great enthusiasm from the community
  • Bling features rarely used (although may by upgraded in the future to become useful) but that demo really well

If it were only for the bug fixes, nobody would buy the upgrades and be liquided that Adobe charges for them. But the new functionality was always greatly appreciated. The only reason Adobe abandoned this model was because they could afford to switch to a far more profitable model; charge by the month (while more affordable, it is also incredibly expensive).

I really wouldn't mind Squad charging for a 2.0, 3.0 upgrade (provided they're stable); it would mean continuous development. Not only that, but development in areas that potentially have my interest. Don't get me wrong, the game needs the KSPedia and good tutorials, and I'm happy they're there now. But I'd love to see features that deepen the game, and I also realize that there's no incentive for Squad to put much effort in that direction.

Edited by Kerbart

On 3-5-2016 at 6:29 PM, Kerbart said:

But I'd love to see features that deepen the game, and I also realize that there's no incentive for Squad to put much effort in that direction.

I'd love to see a real feature freeze, polish and final bug fixing. At least then we'd have a solid game that's not forever in flux.
You can't add all features anyway, there's always yet another good idea for a feature - adding it all takes forever, and knowing Squad that means bugs forever. And almost anything can be added as a mod. But the game constantly changing makes it harder for modders. 

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 6:39 AM, mattinoz said:

Squad said they won't charge you. As far as I can tell there is a magic buy in date and some customers could be charged for version 2+ at some point in the unspecified future. They also seem to retain the right to charge everyone for games involving Kerbals that aren't called KSP.

I would be very much inclined to pay Squad more money if the opportunity arises, but not very anything called KSP version 1.x and version 2 would have to be spiffy.

#mircoTranactionGamesAreEVIL

Correct. People who bought the game before a certain date will get all future content free. After that date, there is no such commitment from Squad (I think it's 0.26, but might be wrong).

That doesn't include bug fixes, I guess. Though it's very common to only release bug fixes in combination with paid DLC or content packs nowadays (and tbh it always has been, especially as in the past bug fixes had to be distributed using physical media).
And as well, many other software products (not counting games), you only get bug fixes if you sign a service contract which will cost you quite a bit of money. This hasn't made it into the gaming industry afaik, but it's a totally viable business model that's used by most companies out there creating products for professional use.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.