Rover Wheel Functions

So KSP 1.1 came with a updated wheel system that allows drifting and looks really cool...

However it is impossible to create functional and good looking rovers due to the wheel blocked report, suspension is impossible, rovers have to be huge and it really does ruin the game.

To me this is the most game breaking feature, it doesn't add immersion and is a hindrance to all builders that only build ground based vehicles, so i'd recommend a removal of the feature to allow more designs to be created, it may not be realistic but KSP is a sandbox game, where anything is possible (Within reason :wink: ), it doesn't make sense to limit people like this.

Vagani, please feel free to post your opinions.

Edited by Vagani

Just now, Vagani said:

So KSP 1.1 came with a updated wheel system that allows drifting and looks really cool...

However it is impossible to create functional and good looking rovers due to the wheel blocked report, suspension is impossible, rovers have to be huge and it really does ruin the game.

To me this is the most game breaking feature, it doesn't add immersion and is a hindrance to all builders that only build ground based vehicles, so i'd recommend a removal of the feature to allow more designs to be created, it may not be realistic but KSP is a sandbox game, where anything is possible, it doesn't make sense to limit people like this.

Vagani, please feel free to post your opinions.

These issues will most likely be fixed in version 1.2, see dev notes. So, in a few months time.

Just now, Alshain said:

@Majorjim The wheel blocked issue is not necessarily going to be fixed in 1.2, as far as we know, it is intentional.

Not so good sir, I have heard it from the horses mouth. I was the one who posted the bug report and was in conversation with the devs about it.

The blocked wheels are to stop a phantom force that arises from the wheels impacting the craft they are attached to. This is because they, in this version of unity, cannot have their clipping turned off so they interact with other parts of the same craft. This will be fixed in the unity update penciled in for version 1.2.

I believe @Arsonide can confirm the wheels blocked will disappear when the wheels are updated.

Edited by Majorjim

30 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I believe @Arsonide can confirm the wheels blocked will disappear when the wheels are updated.

Correct. Wheel blocking is intentional, and is not permanent. You can disable it in the game settings, where there are a series of wheel options that control the behavior. However, I do not recommend that you do this, as it will expose the phantom force that clipping wheels create.

Just now, Arsonide said:

Correct. Wheel blocking is intentional, and is not permanent. You can disable it in the game settings, where there are a series of wheel options that control the behavior. However, I do not recommend that you do this, as it will expose the phantom force that clipping wheels create.

Thanks for the clarity mate, yes at present as you say it is intentional but not permanent.

would it be possible to disable whatever dynamic suspension adjustment that happens after launch? Not only does it lead to situations where a few toothpick lander legs can support enormous amount of mass, it also makes it very difficult to tune suspension parameters for mod parts as there's no real way to anticipate what the dynamic stuff will do.  I know you guys made the small legs much much more susceptible to stress, but that's kind of a round about solution... the suspension forces should be linear (more or less) and different sized legs should have an absolute maximum mass it can support under 1g.

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I'd just like to point out that this is not true, and has never been true. There have always been limits, and there will always be limits.

True although something like this shouldn't be a limit and now i see that it was just a stop gap so thats okay, thanks squad for good community support :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.