1.1.2 Recycle bin

glibbo

After a few minutes probe into 1.1.3, I have binned 1.1.2 and look forward to deep joy being restored, just a matter of waiting for some of my favorite mods to be updated to complete my happiness, thanks to all involved for the much needed (game & mod) updates.

Well, I never binned 1.1.2, but I never made a backup of it.  My last backup is 1.0.5, and I have 1.1.3 now.  Haven't spent much time with 1.1.3, though.  1.0.5 has working wheels and a lot of mods I love using.  I've only launched a couple rockets in 1.1.3, and nothing overly substantial.

I binned it a long time ago.  I've binned 1.1.3 as well (though technically I never and will never download it).  1.0.5 works for now, though I can't wait till we get a serious Unity 5 release instead of the utter joke we have now.

Edited by Alshain

I haven't used the Recycle Bin for years, mostly because deleting stuff at a command prompt doesn't use it.

I have 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 both installed. I've not played the former for about 2 weeks (Thanks, Factorio) and only loaded the latter to make sure my mod worked in it.

I blame Factorio but I'm also a little burnt out after stranding Jeb in Laythe orbit during my Grand Tour. I can fix it, but I don't feel like it. And I don't want to start anything new until I've completed it.

1 hour ago, Alshain said:

I binned it a long time ago.  I've binned 1.1.3 as well (though technically I never and will never download it).  1.0.5 works for now, though I can't wait till we get a serious Unity 5 release instead of the utter joke we have now.

One step forward, two steps back.

yep, 1.1.2 went right into the trash, I dabbled with 1.1.3 but just for a few minutes, then went back to good ole 1.05 (I wish I kept 1.04 though). There has been mention of a code cleanup, so I may stick with 1.05 until then unless the 1.2 release feels really solid. Since I've only been to Duna once I have plenty to do in the meantime- I imagine by the time I get to Eeloo and back 1.8 will be the new release :P

I wonder what makes people stay at 1.0.5 and older. A beloved mod, which doesn't run with 1.1.3? Or is for some people the old version really better in terms of performance or stability? Can't really believe the latter, I have some fond memories of 1.0.5 slideshows and out of memory crashes ^^

7 minutes ago, Draco T stand-up guy said:

I'm more amazed that some people keep old versions. Really, why would you keep a buggier version?

A buggier version? I came in at v0.23.5 ... all but zero crashes during game play, even when I first began adding mods. Then move on to v0.90.0, still with all but zero crashes, and likewise for v1.0.5 ... the worst of problems were quirky things folks wished would be fixed.

Hence my previous comment above.

I have 15 KSP install directories and the downloaded zip files since I started(0.90).  I do not see a great deal of reason to remove them.

(one of those installs was for verifying that I can't move research result windows in vanilla 1.1.3 and may get binned eventually, but I still have a 0.90 interstellar mod install that I have yet to play, so don't hold your breath on that).  Would be nice if my preferred mods were updated before I get to a point where it is not worth the bother of updating my 1.1.2 save, but that is hardly stopping me...

Probably it will go onto a backup disk soon, after a few problems (due to mods and a slightly corrupted update) 1.1.3 seems solid enough now so don't see any need to go back except maybe in 5 years from now for nostalgia purposes.

2 hours ago, Draco T stand-up guy said:

I'm more amazed that some people keep old versions. Really, why would you keep a buggier version?

In some cases, it's transfer time.  A lot of us play with a ton of mods, and we stick with the older versions until mods update to the new one.  In other cases, as with 1.0.5, there's crippling bugs in the new version.

2 hours ago, hirschhornsalz said:

I wonder what makes people stay at 1.0.5 and older. A beloved mod, which doesn't run with 1.1.3? Or is for some people the old version really better in terms of performance or stability? Can't really believe the latter, I have some fond memories of 1.0.5 slideshows and out of memory crashes ^^

Keeping 1.0.5 comes down to two words:  Working Wheels.  An experiment for you in 1.1.3, which will show you exactly why some of us are on 1.0.5 and older:  Build any semi-large craft that requires at least 12 wheels.  Use any wheel other than the XL3 ones.  Enjoy your dancing, uncontrollable nightmare.  (if it doesn't bug out on 12 wheels, add wheels in sets of two until you find the breaking point.  It may be different for everyone.)

Now, with that design in mind, if you still have 1.0.5, build the same craft.  Take note of how the wheels don't bug out.  Also take note of all the mods that made good wheels that are still stuck in 1.0.5 because Unity 5 trashed the wheel code.

Also, take note of all the people complaining about the landing gear being made of toothpicks and styrofoam.  While some of this is pilot error or engineering errors (Hard landings, or not enough landing gear for the weight), you also have to deal with the same rover wheel bug problem causing dancing airplanes that eventually either break their gear or wreck the plane.  On top of that, landing legs, from what I've heard, now suffer the exact same problems as the rover wheels, and more.  Some reports say that they slide, or your landers play dancing-spider on touchdown.

So basically, the game's better in every way, except you can't take off or land airplanes because the wheels are prone to spazzing out, and you can't land rockets because the landing legs are rubbish, and you can't use rovers because they end up being dancing exploding spiders.

At least, that was 1.1.2.  I haven't thrown around 1.1.3 enough to see if it's also buggy, but given that there was no mention in the changelog about anything relating to wheels, I'm gonna let the community bug-test that for me and see if there is any improvement.  Meanwhile, I'll stick to 1.0.5 until I hear the wheels are improved and actually usable again.

4 hours ago, hirschhornsalz said:

My playing style relies heavily on lander legs, wheels, and the ability to rename vessels from the tracking center. When those are fixed, I will happily update to the latest version. Until then, I'm frozen in time at 1.0.5.

58 minutes ago, AbacusWizard said:

My playing style relies heavily on lander legs, wheels, and the ability to rename vessels from the tracking center. When those are fixed, I will happily update to the latest version. Until then, I'm frozen in time at 1.0.5.

I think they fixed that last one in 1.1.3 -- you can double-click the name in the vessel info panel.  'Not sure if that lets you re-classify them, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.