Finally gone and done did it.

zeanomourph

Well I kinda just wanted to introduce myself and say hi everyone, new member to the forums. Bought KSP just over 2 weeks ago now and totally obsessed, 161 hours played :0.0: already up there with some of my favorites that I've been playing for years.

On my second career mode, first one jumped straight in the deep end on hard mode as I tend to do, but then killed Jeb and couldn't live with that so started fresh with a custom difficulty career basically normal mode but -20% funds and +20% science. So one of the first things I did in the new career was take Jeb into orbit and run out of fuel.. nice one lol. Learned quicksmart from that how to intercept (had to do it three times in a row cos the first two that other starter pilot V-something took the only seat in the pod I sent up to save him and I didn't notice till he was hanging onto the side and couldn't board) and from there basically everything in LKO seemed pretty easy and I've been doing loads of contracts saving stranded Kerbals and putting up satellites to make bank...

Finally got to a million funds about 3 days ago and decided to do something for myself because a contract for it hadn't come up yet... A land and return mission to the Mun! And I just finally did it.. 3 damn days! I can't believe how difficult that was compared to everything else I've done so far! A bit less than ideal lmao, landed on my side on the stage before the actual lander, didn't wanna ditch the 1/4 tank of fuel it still had incase I needed it to get back (winging it with no mods and no idea how to work out dV). Getting that thing back of the ground was a mission in itself! Ended up using RCS and a tiny bit of fuel to taxi it to the top of a hill, levered myself up sideways on the landing struts and blastoff! I can't even believe that worked. And I made it back with just enough fuel to retro burn into the atmosphere just enough to slow down and bring the whole lander stage back 100% intact. I am so happy and just had to share :D

But that was just an OKTO probe to see if I could do it lol. Tomorrow it's Jeb's turn, time to go put up a flag! Woohoo I love this game!

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the rest of your life. Kudos on the Mun landing. You've done it the traditional way: no mods at all. I did it the same way, including various forms of crashing and finally landing a broken lander. I was super proud.

At some point however it seems that everybody installs KER, which is no cheating. It only gives you additional information, such as the dV of your designed rocket. 

The game is seriously additive. I have it for 2 months now, and I am still hooked.

I still remember when i landed on the moon for the first time... i felt like Neil Amstrong himself! :lol:

I bought the game some years ago and i still play, in fact i recently restarted a career with 1.1.3, im returning a manned mission from Duna now...

Edited by juvilado

Congtatulations! Sounds like a perfect Kerbal  mün mission to me!

And if there is one piece of advice I could give. Learn to do anything yourself before you hand it over to a mod. Even delta-v and TWR. So much more satisfying designing a Duna mission on paper/a spreadsheet and it being right.

And, of course moar boosters and moar struts. 

(Not really)

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody :)

@Xyphos Hah yep I noticed the option for that when I started the game, but that first career where I lost him was on hard mode, I think that stops them from respawning. Glad I switched to an easier career at least while I'm learning the game or I probably would have thrown my PC out a window by now :P Revert To Launch is da real MVP hahah

@colfighter Damn! Out of the hundreds of screenshots I've taken, I somehow didn't think to take a pic of that one! No worries, I thought to myself- I have a named save from when I was there I'll just load that up and take the pic... no such luck, for some reason it won't load, just sits on the loading screen forever :(

This one will have to do, took a while to get the rocket right, so Jeb only finally made it up there tonight.. and this is probably the most generic screenshot that's been taken by everyone who's ever landed on the Mun... but here you go :D

259bwk2.jpg

Glad to say he made it home safe as well, with about 1500 science stashed in his back pocket.

On 2/9/2016 at 4:06 PM, zeanomourph said:

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody :)

@Xyphos Hah yep I noticed the option for that when I started the game, but that first career where I lost him was on hard mode, I think that stops them from respawning. Glad I switched to an easier career at least while I'm learning the game or I probably would have thrown my PC out a window by now :P Revert To Launch is da real MVP hahah

@colfighter Damn! Out of the hundreds of screenshots I've taken, I somehow didn't think to take a pic of that one! No worries, I thought to myself- I have a named save from when I was there I'll just load that up and take the pic... no such luck, for some reason it won't load, just sits on the loading screen forever :(

This one will have to do, took a while to get the rocket right, so Jeb only finally made it up there tonight.. and this is probably the most generic screenshot that's been taken by everyone who's ever landed on the Mun... but here you go :D

259bwk2.jpg

Glad to say he made it home safe as well, with about 1500 science stashed in his back pocket.

Good looking design, with plenty of scy. Good work!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.