Does anyone actually know what RCS stands for?

Kozak

In spaceflight context, it usually means Reaction Control System. I'm pretty sure the forum software will clarify it for you, along with other acronyms.

Let's see... RCS. Yes, it works. When you see an abbreviation with double dotted underlines you can just mouse over it for the full word, courtesy of the KSP forums.

Edited by RocketSquid

RCS = Royal College of Surgeons

(but then I do study medicine in the uk so...)

(I actually hate hate acronyms cause every specialty, every field of study, every aspect of life has their own acronyms which often over lap! A bad one seems to be AAA,  either a car recovery service or an abdominal aortic anneurism, depending on your point of view and don't get them mixed up! This sort of stuff has led to people being injured so never criticise someone for asking what an acronym means (not that ksp forumers are! ) ) 

Edited by Kertech

For my Kerbals, it has two definitions: Reaction Control System and Rocket Crashing System. To most people, it's Reaction Control System. 

24 minutes ago, Kertech said:

I actually hate hate acronyms cause every specialty, every field of study, every aspect of life has their own acronyms which often over lap! A bad one seems to be AAA,  either a car recovery service or an abdominal aortic anneurism, depending on your point of view and don't get them mixed up! This sort of stuff has led to people being injured so never criticise someone for asking what an acronym means.

Me too! Except there's a fine line between love and hate, right? Actually, today in Language Arts, my teacher asked us what a PMA was. He called on me and I said that the Pressurized Mating Adapter were a docking adapters on the International Space Station. He just said that it was great that I knew two meanings of it, but in LA it ment Positive Mental Attitude. :rolleyes: 

Oh well. I may play to much KSP... Except that you can never play too much KSP. Also, my science teacher said never use the word "sucks" we're supposed use "vacuum cleaners," but I use "outer space" instead. It's not possible to play to much KSP...

4 hours ago, max_creative said:

Me too! Except there's a fine line between love and hate, right? Actually, today in Language Arts, my teacher asked us what a PMA was. He called on me and I said that the Pressurized Mating Adapter were a docking adapters on the International Space Station. He just said that it was great that I knew two meanings of it, but in LA it ment Positive Mental Attitude. :rolleyes:

PMA could mean pretty much anything.

5 hours ago, max_creative said:

today in Language Arts, my teacher asked us what a PMA was. He called on me and I said that the Pressurized Mating Adapter were a docking adapters on the International Space Station. He just said that it was great that I knew two meanings of it, but in LA it ment Positive Mental Attitude.

I guess that's good. In Los Angeles you need to keep a Positive Mental Attitude!

On a more serious note, my company got bought out by a much larger company about a year ago, and everything is an acronym. TLA's everywhere, and not one of them is ever defined. I have taken to - when I come across a likely definition because someone slipped up and didn't use the acronym - slowly built up a list. But there are still now, a year later, things I use on a daily basis that I don't know what the acronym actually stands for.

So I feel for you, OP. Though the forum underlining acronyms is a boon. I wish my company did that. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.