The Kerbal Dakar 2017 entry vehicles thread

Triop

Here is my car/jeep/off-roader/The Dakara(need to find a new name) I can drive it just about anywhere, and its very durable due to the big gap between the earth and the underbody, and due to the great suspension of the wheels, biggest problem is staying on the ground, but i think i'll be fine.

BTW, i assume that quicksaving/loading is allowed and that there is no penalty if you do so, but can someone confirm this?
I kind of hope that it is not allowed, since that would make the race more interesting, thrilling and challenging. If you crash and are unable to drive any further, you would have to fly/drive a new rover out, but with the clock still running. 

Edited by Flamingo

52 minutes ago, Flamingo said:

-snip-

BTW, i assume that quicksaving/loading is allowed and that there is no penalty if you do so, but can someone confirm this?
I kind of hope that it is not allowed, since that would make the race more interesting, thrilling and challenging. If you crash and are unable to drive any further, you would have to fly/drive a new rover out, but with the clock still running. 

Absolutely not.  Quicksaving and loading is acceptable for trial runs, sure, but NOT for the rally itself.  Honestly there's no way to enforce it, so I think we're relying on the honor system.  Regardless... no quicksaving or loading!  :)

And yeah, if you crash too badly to continue at all, then you need to start from the beginning.

Edited by Slam_Jones

3 minutes ago, Slam_Jones said:

Absolutely not.  Quicksaving and loading is acceptable for trial runs, sure, but NOT for the rally itself.  Honestly there's no way to enforce it, so I think we're relying on the honor system.  Regardless... no quicksaving or loading!  :)

Yay! so if you are unable to drive, can you send another car out? can you have one ready at stage 4 or similar? or do you just have to start completely over?

Edited by Flamingo

Just now, Flamingo said:

Yay! so if you are unable to drive, can you send another car out? can you have one ready at stage 4 or similar? or do you just have to start completely over?

I'll put it this way... crashed and burned on Stage 6?  No way for the vehicle to move under its own power?  Gotta start at Stage 1 again.  Yes, even if you're half a km from the finish line.  It can be very tragic, as my practice run have shown... but very very satisfying when you make it all the way!

Makes it a lot more respectable to those who can make it all the way!  I've done half a dozen practice runs and only completed the course once :blush:   But hey that's what practice is for :wink:

4 minutes ago, Slam_Jones said:

I'll put it this way... crashed and burned on Stage 6?  No way for the vehicle to move under its own power?  Gotta start at Stage 1 again.  Yes, even if you're half a km from the finish line.  It can be very tragic, as my practice run have shown... but very very satisfying when you make it all the way!

Makes it a lot more respectable to those who can make it all the way!  I've done half a dozen practice runs and only completed the course once :blush:   But hey that's what practice is for :wink:

That was just want i wanted to hear. Guess i better hurry up and get some chutes on my car to stop those awful spins :wink:

4 minutes ago, Slam_Jones said:

And yeah, if you crash too badly to continue at all, then you need to start from the beginning.

So I have 2 entries and the plan was to run them in tandem as one of the entries, the Mad Moose, is carrying all the fuel for refueling Bill's Big Bad Beaver between stages

If it is not allowed to save between stages then I will be immediately disqualified as soon as I go to launch the Beaver after the Moose gets to the stage 1 flag ... I guess I will have to run them in separate saves and place refueling stations at each flag for the Beaver to refuel

On the upside it will reduce the weight of the Moose by a half ton or so (she's just under 17 tons now)

13 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

So I have 2 entries and the plan was to run them in tandem as one of the entries, the Mad Moose, is carrying all the fuel for refueling Bill's Big Bad Beaver between stages

If it is not allowed to save between stages then I will be immediately disqualified as soon as I go to launch the Beaver after the Moose gets to the stage 1 flag ... I guess I will have to run them in separate saves and place refueling stations at each flag for the Beaver to refuel

On the upside it will reduce the weight of the Moose by a half ton or so (she's just under 17 tons now)

I'll defer to @Triop for that one, as it seems like one vehicle is both competing AND supporting, while another is competing only.  No idea where/if the line is crossed there...

I just know that if you are running 1 rover, you cannot quickload back to your last checkpoint and act like nothing happened.  :)

I think it is more so you don't run each stage 10 times and only pick the best run of each, rather than preventing multiple entries from running at the same time.

Edited by Slam_Jones

3 minutes ago, Slam_Jones said:

I'll defer to @Triop for that one, as it seems like one vehicle is both competing AND supporting, while another is competing only.  No idea where/if the line is crossed there...

I just know that if you are running 1 rover, you cannot quickload back to your last checkpoint and act like nothing happened.  :)

I'm just going to run them separately ... I'll place a Moose at each flag for the Beaver to refuel

This also opened up having targets for the Beaver between stages so I mounted a M230 Chaingun to the top of her :cool:

Edited by DoctorDavinci

26 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

If it is not allowed to save between stages then I will be immediately disqualified

It's allowed, after each stage you can do what ever you want to the car, just leave it where it is.

That would mean no fixing in the SPH or VAB, only on the spot, just like Dakar.

Edit: I know you know this, just repeating it for the newcomers.

Edited by Triop

1 hour ago, Slam_Jones said:

^^Saving is not allowed.

37 minutes ago, Triop said:

It's allowed, after each stage you can do what ever you want to the car, just leave it where it is.

That would mean no fixing in the SPH or VAB, only on the spot, just like Dakar.

Edit: I know you know this, just repeating it for the newcomers.

^^Saving is allowed after each stage.

Just as i thought i had everything in control, i get confused again. Is so that if i spin and loose two wheels between 3 and 4 i can go back to my quicksave at three and then continue? or is it just too bad, and i will have to start over once again? :/

21 minutes ago, Flamingo said:

^^Saving is not allowed.

Just as i thought i had everything in control, i get confused again. Is so that if i spin and loose two wheels between 3 and 4 i can go back to my quicksave at three and then continue? or is it just too bad, and i will have to start over once again? :/

As I understand it, you would have to go back to stage 1, unless you have two spare wheels already on your rover that you can use to replace the broken/missing ones.

For example, in this video I crashed pretty hard on Stage 3 (at about 4:30 on the video) and lost a wheel.  Since I didn't bring spares, that meant that my run was over, and my next run would start at Stage 1, with a new rover.  Same thing if I crashed on Stage 6 to the point where I could not continue... back to Stage 1.   (Oh, and in the actual race I'd be making a stop at Stage 2, and not racing past it)

15 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

If you crash, you can't restart the stage. You can, however, drive another vehicle or conduct in-flight repairs.

As I understand it, narwhalz is correct.

But ultimately it's whatever @Triop decides.

Edited by Slam_Jones

8 minutes ago, Flamingo said:

^^Saving is not allowed.

See it like the real Dakar, you come to the start with 1 car, you start at stage 1, racing to stage 2.

Once arrived, refuel, use solar panels or whatever.

Then when you are ready, start stage 2 and so on.

If you loose a wheel during the stage, or make the stage on 3 wheels, you are allowed to repair using mods on the spot.

No quicksaves, no replacements of the vehicle and no 2nd chance, restart or cook us dinner. &)

7 minutes ago, Triop said:

See it like the real Dakar, you come to the start with 1 car, you start at stage 1, racing to stage 2.

Once arrived, refuel, use solar panels or whatever.

Then when you are ready, start stage 2 and so on.

If you loose a wheel during the stage, or make the stage on 3 wheels, you are allowed to repair using mods on the spot.

No quicksaves, no replacements of the vehicle and no 2nd chance, restart or cook us dinner. &)

BRkm0vw_700wa_0.gif

Thats what i asked for, a description as clear as the sky on a sunny day. You can pack up an extra wheel or a solar panel in a KIS container, but no quicksave or bringing new vehicles. Thanks for the answer and for bearing with me, once again: GREAT CHALLENGE! you've got going here :sticktongue:

The Magnus has finally made a stage!
BgEHAkA.png
8fkHv5d.png
It took nearly half an hour, but I'm pretty sure the concept is well and proven now. I'll probably not enter it into the race, because I don't have the attention span for that kind of thing. Tops out around 13 electric, 35 jets. Very draggy, I suppose.

As the Magnus arrived, Jeb noticed the Land Cruiser slinking off, apparently avoiding the inevitable group photo.
CUXmtz7.png
But it was unsuccessful.
RFEkSIz.png
There's gotta be upwards of 1300 parts there. I really need to move on.

14 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

That is one almighty wing...

Makes for one decent air-brake.  There's one of the thin-yet-wide flaps up at the front, too, to help keep the nose down.  They move a lot in the air, but the reaction wheels really are what help me control the rover's aerial insanity.  It's a lot of fun to run, though.

Hmm... 6 wheels... Or 8?  Do I go full spider on the Flying Dustbuster?

Edit: 8 wheels it is.  Climbs better, handles jump landings better, is faster on flat land.  Considering renaming Flying Dustbuster MK5 into the Jumping Spider.

Edited by Madrias

11 hours ago, Slam_Jones said:

I know I'm not the only Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fan on these forums... :wink:

falling-bowl-of-petunias.png

Something I've noticed when doing test runs (were quicksave/loads are allowed), it often seems that the terrain scatter objects (trees etc) have not appeared at the end of a stage, but when you do a quicksave/load then they appear. obv having the trees doesn't actually impact on the race (although I do like trying to avoid them), but is there another way of ensuring that they load? How would folk feel about doing a quicksave and load at the end of a stage simply to get the scenery to load properly?

Also, with SVE/scatterer installed I get odd rectangles in the trees, im sure there was a fix for that but I've forgotten it. I think it was the same fix for removing the same artifact from lights, can anyone remember what that fix was?

3 minutes ago, katateochi said:

falling-bowl-of-petunias.png

Something I've noticed when doing test runs (were quicksave/loads are allowed), it often seems that the terrain scatter objects (trees etc) have not appeared at the end of a stage, but when you do a quicksave/load then they appear. obv having the trees doesn't actually impact on the race (although I do like trying to avoid them), but is there another way of ensuring that they load? How would folk feel about doing a quicksave and load at the end of a stage simply to get the scenery to load properly?

Also, with SVE/scatterer installed I get odd rectangles in the trees, im sure there was a fix for that but I've forgotten it. I think it was the same fix for removing the same artifact from lights, can anyone remember what that fix was?

I've got the feeling it's something we have to learn to live with. I mean the scatterer objects loading whenever they feel like it ... it feels like it's never been fully developed. And I'm guessing Squad never will continue work on the system.

Edited by Azimech

17 minutes ago, Azimech said:

I've got the feeling it's something we have to learn to live with. I mean the scatterer objects loading whenever they feel like it ... it feels like it's never been fully developed. And I'm guessing Squad never will continue work on the system.

It's actually game seed dependent, isn't it?

I'd say going spider-mode is definitely the right move for my machine.

66o7sTl.png

That's stage 3.  Goes down the hill with ease, climbs rapidly.  Front two sets of wheels steer, all drive.  KIS got installed in order to have some options in the event everything goes wrong again.  Of course, the extra set of drive wheels has increased electrical consumption, so the 8 fuel cells are working overtime, and thereby it's burning fuel faster, but I think I've got enough to survive.

Oh, and I added some lights.  And more lights.  Because I'm now officially scared of the dark in KSP.

Edit:

Jumping Spider cleared Stage 5 without damage.  About to try my hand at Stage 6, which would be the furthest I've ever gone.

Edit 2:

Stage 6 completed.  No damage.  Maybe this is the perfect number of wheels?  Jumping Spider is fast.

And, obligatory Stage 6 down-the-hill shot.

7uZWrrV.png

Not spinning any webs, but it certainly crawls down walls just fine.

Edit: And stage 7 is completed!  This is going to be a lot of fun.  Not really a contender for any of the prizes, but my Jumping Spider will be in this.  Also not sure what it'd be classified as, given that it's, um... an 8 wheeled buggy-style craft.

Edited by Madrias

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.