Spraki

Steam version - non-steam game method to avoid patching question

Question

Hey guys.

Ok. First off. I love the patches. I really do. But they destroy my progress and I love the modded career progresss. So, this time I intend to do the nonsteam game method to avoid patching. 

But I have a question. Will steam continue to register the hours played or is this 'the sacrificial punishment' I must pay if I have to go for patch avoidance?

Not that it is that important but I really play A LOT and would like to keep track of it. Although it still shows how much I suck because I am stuck with the Mun/Minmus equivalents of the GPP mod.

12 answers to this question

Steam / Library/ KSP / Properties -- tab 2 "Updates" -- change "keep this program up to date" to something else. It sounds to me like that would get you what you want -- manual control of when you update, while still having full steam access in-game.

1 person likes this

Might be best to make a backup of KSP, keep playing via Steam, but if an update breaks the mods you can use the backup.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

^---- This. :wink:

As for whether or not Steam will register hours played if you start KSP from a different folder somewhere else on your disk: No, it will not.

Edited by Streetwind

2 hours ago, bewing said:

Steam / Library/ KSP / Properties -- tab 2 "Updates" -- change "keep this program up to date" to something else.

No. The only other options are to prioritize the updates for this particular game and to delay the update until you actually launch the game. The only option is not to use Steam to launch the game in the first place.

1 person likes this

Just move KSP folder outside of steam folder. And it makes easy to example change from vanilla gameplay to modded when you can have many KSP installed sametime.

13 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

No. The only other options are to prioritize the updates for this particular game and to delay the update until you actually launch the game. The only option is not to use Steam to launch the game in the first place.

Yeah this appears to be a fairly recent Steam change.  There used to be the option to not update at all but it's gone now :(.  So @Spraki I'm afraid you'll have to launch outside of steam and lose the tracked hours.

(Unless someone's come up with a workaround to enable Steam while running it outside its normal location?  I know KSP outside of Steam still detects the Steam library, it just doesn't use it.)

Does the combination of "only update when I launch the game" and launching the game directly from the KSP_x64.exe shortcut avoid updates?

1 hour ago, paulprogart said:

Yeah this appears to be a fairly recent Steam change.  There used to be the option to not update at all but it's gone now :(

They only renamed the option because it did always only delay the update until you started the game.

13 minutes ago, Jarin said:

Does the combination of "only update when I launch the game" and launching the game directly from the KSP_x64.exe shortcut avoid updates?

Yes. But it will still update if you mistakenly launch the game from steam. The safest solution is still copying the whole folder.

Thanks a lot guys.

So yeah, swim with or against the stream.

For now, I set steam to offline mode. I will do thr copy

I should have bought the non-steam version heh.

4 hours ago, Spraki said:

I should have bought the non-steam version heh.

But then you wouldn't get a counter to show your hours played either :P

The store-bought version is practically identical to what you get if you copy the Steam version into a different folder and manually start the executable there.

2 people like this

Argh, doh. Makes sense. Can't have it all, eh? :D

It's not as clean as Steam, but if you just want to track your time in-game there's this:

1 person likes this